Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canalman

Agree, the problem imo with the film is that there was no time to flesh out the characters of all the main suspects which the book and tv series does. In the film imvho again you don't really care who the culprit is whereas the tv series in particular ratchets up the tension as you go on.

Mikhail Prokhorov

the company men, worth a look

Capt Pat

I was disappointed with Safe House. I found it a bit dreary.

6 out of 10

Don Johnson

Quote from: Capt Pat on March 02, 2012, 01:43:55 AM
I was disappointed with Safe House. I found it a bit dreary.

6 out of 10

Agreed, thought it was pretty average as well. Passed a couple hours but I won't be rewatching again.

Using a two month free Lovefilm trial so seen some good ones recently: Tyrannosaur was brilliant, The Way was good. Kill The Irishman was poor though, avoid.

Might go to the cinema tonight watch Project X.

Capt Pat

Project X is stupid but enjoyable.

Cleanskin is a movie about British Muslims trying to mount a bombing campaign in the UK. Sean Bean is in it but it is on limited release. It is fast moving and entertaining.

8 out of 10.

5 Sams

Inglorious Basterds....disappointing
The Aristocrat Years

The Iceman

I watched Hugo last night and I wasn't overly impressed now.
I can appreciate the camera work and the imagery. The story just didn't do it for me and I was left very disappointed by the end of it. My sister is a film studies graduate and my wife took french film as part her french degree and they both enjoyed it but I don't think it's for your everyday Mary and Joe......
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

nrico2006

Watched Straw Dogs, wasn't very good and Kate Bosworth isn#t good looking enough to be the lead lady in a film.  She should be the ugly best friend maybe.

Also watched We Need To Talk About Kevin and the new Nicolas Cage film Justice.  Justice was ok but WNTTAK was very good. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Capt Pat

Quote from: The Iceman on March 15, 2012, 12:52:17 PM
I can appreciate the camera work and the imagery. The story just didn't do it for me and I was left very disappointed by the end of it. My sister is a film studies graduate and my wife took french film as part her french degree and they both enjoyed it but I don't think it's for your everyday Mary and Joe......

Lets be honest Hugo and the Artist aren't great at all. They won oscars for being movies about movies which floated the boats of the movie industry. You wouldn't be missing anything if you didn't see them.

The Iceman

I havent seen the Artist but I wont be running out to get it......
Movies have gotten very complicated. Give me a bit of Roadhouse or Rock IV any day ;)
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Puckoon

Quote from: The Iceman on March 15, 2012, 06:31:50 PM
I havent seen the Artist but I wont be running out to get it......
Movies have gotten very complicated. Give me a bit of Roadhouse or Rock IV any day ;)

A bit of road house and a simple auld salad eh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVPSizAcqeA

Tony Baloney

Quote from: nrico2006 on March 15, 2012, 02:01:53 PM
Watched Straw Dogs, wasn't very good and Kate Bosworth isn#t good looking enough to be the lead lady in a film.  She should be the ugly best friend maybe.

Also watched We Need To Talk About Kevin and the new Nicolas Cage film Justice.  Justice was ok but WNTTAK was very good.
Yes nrico she's brutal...

gallsman

//
Quote from: The Iceman on March 15, 2012, 12:52:17 PM

I thought Hugo was excellent altogether. Wonderful to see Scorcsese pay homage to his predecessors.

Project X is dire and in no way enjoyable whatsoever. High school, teen comedies like Superbad and the first American Pie can actually be good, but this was awful altogether. Didn't even pretend to have a plot. Practically endorses ecstasy use as well.

Ulick

Have downloaded the 3d version of Hugo, anyone seen it yet?

Watched 'In the Land of Milk and Honey' last night. Load of condescending feminist twaddle for the ill-informed yanks.

Celt_Man

Watched John Carter at the weekend, found it very enjoyable... I'd look forward to a sequel and would hold off on reading the books till they come out
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010