All-Ireland Football Qualifiers 2016

Started by Tony, June 07, 2016, 10:54:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueandwhite1

Quote from: ILikeStrawberryJam on June 20, 2016, 02:04:03 PM

Donie is so frustrating. When he's good he's unmarkable but he tries to do too much too often. Maybe
its being captain.

What is he supposed to do? He is being left on his own in the full forward line marked by 2 or 3 lads yet he still seems to be able to win bad balls, turn and find space for a shot. There usually is nobody to break the ball to or no runners within 30 yards. I think he is playing really well and performing heroics. Nothing to do with being captain. We were very very lucky to get over the line on Saturday with such an inept forward system. Compare that to Cavan, Tyrone or Galway over the weekend when there always seemed to be options and everyone knew their job. Imagine if there was a plan in Laois?

High Fielder

That was noticeable in the first half but it was refreshing to see a different approach in the second. It's important for us to stay in the game first and foremost, because we do have a habit of capitulating. I have always thought we are at our best attacking en masse, so having Donie in there isolated and pumping balls in has never made sense. Invariably it will come back at you. I have no problem with us defending and attacking from deep. That was how the game was won on Saturday. We have good enough footballers who look as if they appreciate a bit of decent coaching, and I was delighted to see patience coming into our play. Anthony Cunningham has made a big difference in a short period. Pity he wasn't there from October/November

ILikeStrawberryJam

Fair point Blue and White, he is isolated.
He's is being triple marked but shooting from impossible angles is frustrating.
Maybe I'm being a bit hard on him but i think by his very high standards he's been
inconsistent this year ..  He does needs G Walsh up there beside him.
For this year all efforts are being put into getting the defense right.
Hopefully like Cavan we can then put a coherent attacking plan together next year.
Getting the transition from defence to attack right. Does take time though.

blueandwhite1

I agree, but it takes a year or even years rather than weeks. At least they are acknowledging it. It was far more frustrating during the league to see nothing changing and expecting that results would change.

Does anyone have a sense of how much influence Cunningham has on the development of a system with the team? Is he viewed as having strong expertise here? Would like to think there is a plan in progress but it also possible that the only plan is to keep everyone in our own half and we'll see what happens if we happen to win back possession. Wonder what the players are saying?

Faugheen

Quote from: south Laois on June 19, 2016, 03:13:35 PM
In the first round of the qualifiers, it's all about getting over the line especially against a team like Armagh. I thought we showed a lot of heart and closed out the game well. I thought Timmons was immense.
In fairness he has been the stand out player this year, the job he done on Bernard Brogan was magnificent, and he didnt get half the credit he should have for it.

Faugheen

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on June 20, 2016, 02:15:27 PM
Quote from: ILikeStrawberryJam on June 20, 2016, 02:04:03 PM

Donie is so frustrating. When he's good he's unmarkable but he tries to do too much too often. Maybe
its being captain.

What is he supposed to do? He is being left on his own in the full forward line marked by 2 or 3 lads yet he still seems to be able to win bad balls, turn and find space for a shot. There usually is nobody to break the ball to or no runners within 30 yards. I think he is playing really well and performing heroics. Nothing to do with being captain. We were very very lucky to get over the line on Saturday with such an inept forward system. Compare that to Cavan, Tyrone or Galway over the weekend when there always seemed to be options and everyone knew their job. Imagine if there was a plan in Laois?
I think that is the Dublin game you are referring to...he was very poor last Sat. he won only 1 long ball in the whole game. In the second half he was too far out from goal to be a danger and didnt seem too eager to get on the ball. Something just isn't right with him this year for whatever reason.

blueandwhite1

I think ye should look at the game again and the balls that were pumped in to him. Double and triple marked and balls going 3 foot over his head. He still managed to get his hand on enough ball and scored that nice point at an important time. Not saying he set the world alight but I think people have unrealistic expectations of what one man can do.

Helix

It's hardly possible to build anything if frustration, bitterness and a mood of helplessness prevail

Tony

Couldn't have put it better myself Helix.

welcomehome

looks like that is going to happen..leinster council meeting to night..will either be a fine and a replay..or thrown out....

The Monument Road

Quote from: welcomehome on June 20, 2016, 08:03:07 PM
looks like that is going to happen..leinster council meeting to night..will either be a fine and a replay..or thrown out....
For a start welcomehome the leinster council have no say as it was an AI qualifier.Croke Park will decide and it looks like we will be thrown out and Armagh will take our place. Who looks after the subs count on the sideline...is it the county secretary,chairman, management, Its a shamefull shambles and embarrasing. We have a joke set up for a county board and its no wonder supporters dont travel

armaghniac

Reported on Armagh forum that there is an issue with the No. 22 replacing the No. 10 just after half time. It was the No. 10 that stayed on the field and was involved in the next passage of play!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Don Draper

The Boy Wonder

Quote from: The Monument Road on June 20, 2016, 09:46:51 PM
Quote from: welcomehome on June 20, 2016, 08:03:07 PM
For a start welcomehome the leinster council have no say as it was an AI qualifier.Croke Park will decide and it looks like we will be thrown out and Armagh will take our place. Who looks after the subs count on the sideline...is it the county secretary,chairman, management, Its a shamefull shambles and embarrasing. We have a joke set up for a county board and its no wonder supporters dont travel

Is it not the 4th official's job to verify substitutions before they are made ?