All-Ireland Football Qualifiers 2016

Started by Tony, June 07, 2016, 10:54:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saint75

Quote from: High Fielder on June 18, 2016, 06:16:33 PM
In the next round of the Qualifiers Saint. That's where. It might have been the worst  game you saw in your life, but it wasn't the worst performance by a Laois team. In fact, the second half display really impressed me. For the first time in how long I don't know. they were patient and held onto the football. You have to understand that these lads have been neglected in terms of coaching, and a lot of them are very low on confidence. We're no world beaters but there are a lot of counties who would like to have some of these lads. I thought Attride and Quigley were immense today. Worked their socks off. It mightn't have been pretty but we won, and the result is all that matters at the end of the day. At this stage, it's best not to get caught up in how pretty it all is. We have struggled recently as a county. A few positive results can only help, not hinder.

Settle down HF my point is that Armagh are really bad so it doesn't really tell us anything about where we are. I hope we are making progress but this game tells us nothing. Keep it real🙄

SCFC

Our next game will be v Clare, Sligo, Meath (assuming they lose to Dublin) or the losers of tomorrow's Cavan v Tyrone game.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

I think this game told us a lot, we can defend very well, we have problems scoring, Donie is not fit, We have a good bench,  Hanrahan and Lillis make a difference to our defence and Quigley is one of the hardest workers in the championship.
Fair play to Mick Lillis for being man enough to accept Gary Walsh's apology and put him back on the panel. I think we will work on our shooting and grow from this win. If we do we will be a match for any of the teams in the next round and who knows after that. Shame on the guys who left the panel in the middle of a championship campaign, how they can have the neck to come back and sit beside that panel in a dressing room again next year baffles me. I know it's an amateur game and lads can go where they like but loyalty to your teammates is everything, especially when you have suffered a defeat.
Well done to everyone and hopefully we'll get a home draw in the next round and get a bit better support.
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Giovanni

Would agree with a lot of this Junior.

On the game itself, I thought Meredith and Attride were ahead of Quigley in the Man of the Match stakes. I may have missed a lot of the work he was doing off the ball but I thought those two lads in particular were immense. Their use of the ball was really impressive in my opinion. Others that did very well were Brody (another great save and excellent kick outs), Timmons again, Hanrahan, O Connor and Begley in the first half. Of those that started the game, Cahillane was probably the pick of the rest although generally the forwards were poor. Young Farrell did very well and kicked an inspirational score when he came on - if he can build up his confidence a bit, he looks like he could be a good player with a good engine.

It is disappointing to see lads leaving the panel of course. You can see both sides of it but I find it hard to understand the idea of someone jumping off the train halfway through the journey. You're either intending to travel the distance or your not. I suppose the likes of Laois are always more likely to be affected by defections. Having said that, Galway lost at least 2-3 players to America this year and it didn't stop them last night. Hopefully, the lads that decided to stick with it will have a few more good days out of it.

Hoping to avoid Cavan/Tyrone in the next draw..........

Tony

To be fair, EOC and EC leaving the panel was not that bad, relative to what it could have been. We were always going to lose a couple of players. Arguably, having K Lillis back from injury with Conway has strengthened the panel vs before EOC and EC left. Evan has great potential and hopefully he'll have great years ahead in a Laois jersey. Our back line seems strengthened in terms of tactics, dicipline and fitness. OK our shooting was very poor but on our day we have a dangerous forward line. Our keeper is in the top 8 surely in the country. Mark Timmons has been very solid as usual at FB this year. Almost every county in the country would be delighted to have Brody, Timmons, Merideth, Attride, Quigley, Meaney, O Loughlin, Begley, Kingston. These are top players, and, with a good setup, there's no reason why they can't do well in the qualifiers. The championship layout is not ideal but there's a lot to be said for gaining momentum in the qualifiers, especially after losing to the all-ireland champions in a credible display.  I just hope the new set up with Cunningham has enough time to properly bloom. Cunningham has made a MASSIVE difference since coming in and that was clear to see last night. We won a tactical ugly dogfight against a tactical heavyweight in McGeeney. There's a lot to be said for winning ugly and we did that last night due to Cunningham, no question. Armagh would have scored 16+ if we had our League-style "15v15" tactics. Cunningham is doing top work & that's clear to anyone that's clued in to see.

Faugheen

Good win but was a frustrating game to watch. The best line by far for us was the full back line of Timmons, Hanrahan and Attride. Couldn't blame anyone for thinking that they were watching a Justin McNulty set up with no Laois forwards inside Armagh's 45 metre line (mostly in the 2nd half). Donie K looks far from fit and for me he he drifted too far out the field in the second half.
Our shooting and shot selection was very poor,most of this i think was down to the lack of options for the man on the ball. Having said that, a win is a win and with a bit of luck we can push on and have a decent run in the qualifiers. As said above, I'd like to see Cunningham have a bit more time with these players, just to see how he would mould them.

south Laois

In the first round of the qualifiers, it's all about getting over the line especially against a team like Armagh. I thought we showed a lot of heart and closed out the game well. I thought Timmons was immense.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Dave like the tv channel

First win over Armagh in the championship. Nearly lost it.

Round 2a now. Hope it's a home draw.

Sligo v Leitrim
Clare v Laois
loser Cavan/Tyrone v Carlow
Derry v loser Dublin/Meath

Double header in Ennis again!!!!

Joeythelips

Laois should beat Clare in the football at least, thanks for posting highlights guys, not easy for us exiles some times to see games. Could see from the highlights that we still are making some bad decisions in attack, we are creating chances though  and the defending seems to have improved so if we can be more clinical inside the 45 it will take a good team to beat us. One thing that seems to be in good fettle is the spirit in the group, the Dublin game they could have thrown in the towel after 15 mins but did not even when losing one of their main players. Then again at the weekend, fair enough it was 2 division 3 teams, but they were in a dogfight against an ulster side but we ground it out. We most likely will not win an All Ireland but it will take a good team to beat us, and after watching Mayo lose and Tyrone draw there is nothing to really fear if they believe in themselves.

County Man

Fantastic win against Armagh on Saturday.

Credit to Anthony Cunningham, the difference in this Laois team since he has come in has been massive.

Defense was outstanding especially in second half. Huge hunger in the side.

If we can improve our shooting, we're a match for most teams.

It looks like July 2nd and a double header in Ennis.

Will be a tough encounter against Clare, hopefully we can build on the great win against Armagh.

smcder

Clare are improving, and probable would have liked to face us to get a win over a 'bigger' team. They are upto Division 2 now. We be them easy in a double header with the hurlers a few years ago. I think we should win, but don't under estimate clare.

BallyroanAbu

I would not fancy us at all in Ennis one of those hard places to come out of with a win.

ILikeStrawberryJam

Good win from the lads against a poor Armagh side. When the game was in the melting pot they found
that extra few percent. You could see Anthony Cunningham giving the teamtalk in the huddle. the
new defensive setup is remarkable in such a short space of time. The starting point with any team is
being difficult to beat. Our shooting let us down but it was great to see Ross come on and nail that
one at the end.
Attride and Timmons were brillant in the FB line . GOH looks good too.
Begley was excellent, his experience was vital. He rarely gives the ball away.
One of Quigley best games for Laois. Meredith played well too ..
Cahilane is becoming an intercounty footballer. Great to see his workrate. Suits him out around the middle.
Donie is so frustrating. When he's good he's unmarkable but he tries to do too much too often. Maybe
its being captain.
Off day for meaney and donaher..
great to see walsh and Lillis embrace at the end.. big men to put it behind them ..
Makings of a good team. Clare will be difficult. JOL coming back will be a boost
Presume they will be favourites but Laois have a chance if they can convert more chances.
G Walsh starting would help on that front ..

blueandwhite1

Clare have been very impressive this year in the league and should be a real handful. Some strong results this year, especially their showing against Kildare in Div 3 final. We are definitely good enough to win but this will be a battle.

Clare 1-11 - 0-7 Sligo
Tipperary 2-7 - 1-7 Clare
Limerick 0-11 - 1-14 Clare
Clare 1-18 - 0-10 Westmeath
Offaly 0-15 - 1-11 Clare
Clare 1-20 - 1-9 Longford
Kildare 0-22 - 1-14 Clare

Div 3 Final:
Clare 2-17 – 1-19 Kildare