Why no outrage or multiple threads about this?

Started by T Fearon, March 31, 2016, 08:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on April 08, 2016, 02:20:23 PM
I grew up in the 60s and 70s when the church was allegedly omnipotent.I knew a church sexton who fxxxded all the local priests up and down and had constant stand up rows with the parish priest,his employer.I saw a parent threatening to throttle the most volatile curate in the parish after mass accusing him of making a fool out of his altar boy son during mass.

In short this notion of an all powerful church claiming blind allegiance is a myth.And if anyone gives blind allegiance to anyone or anything they bring the consequences on themselves.

This isn't about you or what you have seen, or who you sat beside at a match. Can you understand that? A man who would throttle a priest for making fun of an alter boy, would certainly not be the sort of family Brendan Smyth would pick for grooming. You claiming that this silly anecdote someone proves anything is idiotic.
MWWSI 2017

blewuporstuffed

I grew up in the 60s and 70s when the church was allegedly omnipotent.I knew a church sexton who fxxxded all the local priests up and down and had constant stand up rows with the parish priest,his employer.I saw a parent threatening to throttle the most volatile curate in the parish after mass accusing him of making a fool out of his altar boy son during mass.

In short this notion of an all powerful church claiming blind allegiance is a myth.And if anyone gives blind allegiance to anyone or anything they bring the consequences on themselves.

Yet it was too much to as Sean Brady to stand up to his superiors and do the right thing?

You are a walking contradiction Tony.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Applesisapples

Tony these are exceptions, no one is saying that 100% of parishioners followed blindly but a majority did and paedo priest new which to choose.

tonto1888

I'm a practising Catholic, a church goer and supporter however, as far as I'm concerned any abusers should have been jailed long ago. If they have t and are still about they should be. Anyone complicit in cover ups should be jailed. Anyone who knew and done nothing, I don't know if they can be jailed legally but maybe they should be excommunicated. The church is, I believe, in grave danger. They seem to have lost a lot of faith with people. Being completely open and honest and transparent about all of this is a necessity if they want to win people back, to regain trust.
That said it works both ways. Priests who are completely innocent get accused and out through the ringer. Even when it's found out that they're innocent they still have a stigma attached. A priest in my own home parish faced this recently and even though to be innocent and charges dropped he has not been able to return which is sad. And what happens the accuser? Nobody knows as that person gets to remain anonymous. That annoys me

muppet

Quote from: tonto1888 on April 08, 2016, 05:25:37 PM
I'm a practising Catholic, a church goer and supporter however, as far as I'm concerned any abusers should have been jailed long ago. If they have t and are still about they should be. Anyone complicit in cover ups should be jailed. Anyone who knew and done nothing, I don't know if they can be jailed legally but maybe they should be excommunicated. The church is, I believe, in grave danger. They seem to have lost a lot of faith with people. Being completely open and honest and transparent about all of this is a necessity if they want to win people back, to regain trust.
That said it works both ways. Priests who are completely innocent get accused and out through the ringer. Even when it's found out that they're innocent they still have a stigma attached. A priest in my own home parish faced this recently and even though to be innocent and charges dropped he has not been able to return which is sad. And what happens the accuser? Nobody knows as that person gets to remain anonymous. That annoys me

This is also fair. I went to a school where, years later, my mother was told of an allegation against one of the priests. I said 'no way!' when I heard it. 6 months later the person who told her said she had the wrong school. I hate people who don't bother with things like checking their facts and don't mind accidentally slurring good people.
MWWSI 2017