Moone Boy

Started by joe bloggs, September 22, 2012, 08:59:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joe bloggs

I can't stand the Late Late so last night I flicked over to sky one to watch their new Irish comedy Moone Boy.
I have to say I quite enjoyed it. It is not a laugh a minute funny but it is amusing. Also it probably appeals to me as it is set just over 20 years ago and the main character is exactly the same age I was then.
Fair play to sky for giving Irish comedy a chance.

AZOffaly

Is it Irish? I saw the trailers and assumed it was British with an Irish actor in it. Hard to get anything like that sanctioned by RTE I'd say. Sure wasn't Fr. Ted even Channel 4?

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 22, 2012, 10:17:53 AM
Is it Irish? I saw the trailers and assumed it was British with an Irish actor in it. Hard to get anything like that sanctioned by RTE I'd say. Sure wasn't Fr. Ted even Channel 4?

Ah, keep up with the nuacht it's only happening a stone's throw from your lands! Chris O'Dowd brought filming back to his home town of Boyle earlier in the year. All the out-doors scenes were shot there. The show is set in Boyle in 1989.

Tony Baloney

British production company but (co-)written by O'Dowd, full of Irish actors and filmed in Ireland. Pretty Irish.

Rossfan

Quote from: Syferus on September 22, 2012, 01:24:59 PM

Ah, keep up with the nuacht it's only happening a stone's throw from your lands! Chris O'Dowd brought filming back to his home town of Boyle earlier in the year. All the out-doors scenes were shot there. The show is set in Boyle in 1989.
While it's not exactly side splitting comedy it still shows what a unique good humoured race of people we Rossies are.
I see they're filming the 1989 St Patrick's Day parade next week some day in Boyle and are looking for cars, tractors etc from the 1980s to make it look authentic.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

laoislad

Quote from: Rossfan on September 22, 2012, 08:31:02 PM

While it's not exactly side splitting comedy it still shows what a unique good humoured race of people we Rossies are.
I see they're filming the 1989 St Patrick's Day parade next week some day in Boyle and are looking for cars, tractors etc from the 1980s to make it look authentic.

Probably wont take much to make Roscommon look like its 1989 ;D
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Two Hands FFS

Quote from: laoislad on September 22, 2012, 08:33:41 PM

I wouldnt be sure that they are ready to move with the times yet.

Rossfan

Quote from: laoislad on September 22, 2012, 08:33:41 PM

Be a quare long time any one finds anything worth filming in boring Laois anyway.  :P
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ross4life

Caught the tale end of the St Patrick's day parade today had a few words with Chris O'Dowd (sound chap) parade was set in 1991 Enda Oates,Deirdre O'Kane,Don Wycherley were other familiar faces.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Syferus

Did you ask him if he'd give a go at convincing Fergie to come back while he's in town?

GalwayBayBoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr6LRCRM6Dk

Good save from the bould Chris back in his minor days just over a minute in.

Shamrock Shore

Watched 3 episodes tonight back to back. Mildly amusing. The wee lad is a good actor but Deirdre O'Kane has always grated on me nerves.

Didnt realise O'Dowd played in goals for the Roscommon minors in 1996. He was hilarious describing Shane 'Cake' Curran on The Sunday Game. When Cake offered him goalkeeping advice O'Dowd declined it declaring he'd "rather get advice from a drunk clown".

They don't make them like Cake anymore.

ross4life

Quote from: Syferus on September 25, 2012, 11:44:50 PM
Did you ask him if he'd give a go at convincing Fergie to come back while he's in town?
I didn't but Fergal was there & is in the above photo.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Syferus

Quote from: ross4life on September 26, 2012, 12:05:03 AM
Quote from: Syferus on September 25, 2012, 11:44:50 PM
I didn't but Fergal was there & is in the above photo.

Aha! So he is. Sure if he has time to be getting on the telly he might as well do it on The Sunday Game too, right??

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on September 26, 2012, 12:04:14 AM
Watched 3 episodes tonight back to back. Mildly amusing. The wee lad is a good actor but Deirdre O'Kane has always grated on me nerves.

Didnt realise O'Dowd played in goals for the Roscommon minors in 1996. He was hilarious describing Shane 'Cake' Curran on The Sunday Game. When Cake offered him goalkeeping advice O'Dowd declined it declaring he'd "rather get advice from a drunk clown".

Ah, don't be writing his eulogies yet, he's planning on securing his second All-Ireland medal this season with the Kiltoom men!  ;)

Hardy

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on September 26, 2012, 12:04:14 AM

I'd be afraid to watch that myself because of the O'Kane factor and what it might do to my psychological equilibrium.

That was an enjoyable clip. I'd raid the piggy bank in a big way to procure footage of that famous penalty by Cake in a minor final. Does anybody know if it exists anywhere?