Moone Boy

Started by joe bloggs, September 22, 2012, 08:59:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Finally getting around to watching it now. Very, very charming and I love how much of the real slang and language of the area O'Dowd and co. have put into it, and that Sky1 allowed them to leave so much in.

No RTE comedy has ever felt as genuine to its world as Moone Boy and that's yet another indictment of their incredible record of failure with scripted shows. Regardless, O'Dowd has become a fantastic comedic actor - he also has a show-stealing role in Girls on HBO, which is far better and far more universally watch-able than the name suggests.

Just read a third season is to be commissioned - clearly Sky are very happy with what they've got on all fronts from Moone Boy. Boyle and the county in general need to get their arses in gear to capitalise on this level of publicity, it's absolutely unprecedented in the county's history.

Mentalman

Quote from: Syferus on September 26, 2012, 09:15:12 PM
charming

The exact word I'd use to describe it. It's not earth shattering, it's not Father Ted or IT Crowd but I do find myself smiling throughout, probably a lot of it through nostalgia to be honest.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

ballinaman

Thought it was surprisingly good. Will be watching it again.

Santino

Best episode yet by far! Captured that age perfectly, for me anyway!
'I'll not be doin that again!' was first laughout loud moment on tv in weeks

Mentalman

Quote from: Santino on September 28, 2012, 10:37:04 PM'I'll not be doin that again!'

Brilliant line, definitely the best episode so far, what a turn from Steve Wall, an absolute natural!
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

Celt_Man

Great show, genuinely funny...  Unbelievable that Sky commissioned a second series before the first was aired and a third series a couple of episodes into the airing of the first!
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Syferus

Wow. Just watched the second episode. Love the detail O'Dowd is lavishing on the show - the paper the women read with the poll results is an 'actual' Roscommon Hearld from the era the show is set in. Even integrating the actual election into the show was a bold move. Mary's acceptance speech gave me goosebumps, nevermind the fantastic juxtaposition involved.

I'm totally biased and proud of the show because of its roots, but even outside of that it really is, by some distance, the best comedy series produced by Irish talent since Father Ted.

Well friggin' done!

Puckoon

Herself thinks it's the cutest thing she's ever seen. Although she constantly suggests that I had to be like that as a youngster.

It's funny stuff, as someone said earlier - very charming.

Hardy

Charming indeed, but very clever and perceptive comedy as well. Top marks, even allowing for the Deirdre O'Kane marmalade-between-your-fingers factor.

joe bloggs

I could never be a made boy.... my granny is a Protestant

Classic line

Rossfan

Awful poor tonight I thought. I barely smiled yet alone laughed  :-\
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

bennydorano

Jesis, i thought it was the first really funny episode.

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on October 05, 2012, 10:20:56 PM
Awful poor tonight I thought. I barely smiled yet alone laughed  :-\

Been grinning almost constantly throughout. Must because you lost your sense of humour somewhere between your herring farm and your rubbard patch  :-X

laoislad

I don't like it.
The youngfella is annoying and Chris O Dowd's accent does my head in, plus I actually don't think it's very funny.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Rossfan

If you think O'Dowd's accent is bad in this you should have heard him on the Late Late Show !!
Never heard anyone from up that way talking like that in me whole life.
You'd have to worry about Sillyferus and Dorano though  :o
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM