A: Mayo v Roscommon Mac Hale Park

Semi Finals
Wednesday 19th March
Sligo v Winners A Mac Hale Park/Kiltoom

Saturday 22nd March
Leitrim v Galway Carrick on Shannon

FINAL
Saturday 5th April

From a Mayo perspective it has been a very poor 4 years. Yet there was plenty of quality in the squads.
There appears to be a bit of class around again so it ll be interesting to see if the new management can improve on results. I believe we play Tyrone in Ballina on Sunday at 1.30 but with the weather the way it is that may change. Hopefully it goes ahead and we get a look.

Syferus

One life, one Ros~~

The midweek game makes being back for the match tough but sure it is the Rhus..

ross4life

Quote from: moysider on February 20, 2014, 08:55:30 PM

From a Mayo perspective it has been a very poor 4 years. Yet there was plenty of quality in the squads.
There appears to be a bit of class around again so it ll be interesting to see if the new management can improve on results. I believe we play Tyrone in Ballina on Sunday at 1.30 but with the weather the way it is that may change. Hopefully it goes ahead and we get a look.

Moy you could also say in the last 4 years Mayo have simply come up against some very good U21 sides. Didn't Mayo play Tyrone in a challenge a few weeks ago? Tyrone play in the Shamrock Cup Final this weekend.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

sligoman2

Any update on sligo? With pats late appointment I would think we are not in great shape.
Any challenge games?
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

ck

Quote from: sligoman2 on February 20, 2014, 11:25:30 PM
Any update on sligo? With pats late appointment I would think we are not in great shape.
Any challenge games?

Limited info but heard things aren't great. We had a decent minor side 3 year ago but not sure how they've progressed. I can't see us being in same league as Mayo or even Rossies

Syferus

Quote from: ck on February 20, 2014, 11:43:52 PM
Quote from: sligoman2 on February 20, 2014, 11:25:30 PM
Any challenge games?

Limited info but heard things aren't great. We had a decent minor side 3 year ago but not sure how they've progressed. I can't see us being in same league as Mayo or even Rossies

:o

Rossfan

If we Connacht bucks  were arrogant Nordies we'd be saying that the "Connacht champions will walk the All Ireland" or
"Counties who lose in Connacht should be let enter the other Provinces to bring up their standards"
Better put in one of these for some folks  :P :-*
Anyway we've got a tough one to start and if ever the cliche about we're looking no further than our next game was ever to apply - it's definitely the case this year.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

moysider

Quote from: ross4life on February 20, 2014, 10:40:23 PM
Quote from: moysider on February 20, 2014, 08:55:30 PM

Moy you could also say in the last 4 years Mayo have simply come up against some very good U21 sides. Didn't Mayo play Tyrone in a challenge a few weeks ago? Tyrone play in the Shamrock Cup Final this weekend.

It was Donegal that we played today.

Mayo had an almost full strength team out. Ended up winning 2-9 to 1-10. Victory looked unlikely after we made little use of the gale in the first half. However 2 cracking goals by Evan Regan (typical solo effort out of nothing) and Darren Duffy were enough to allow Mayo to hang in there. We were second best winning primary possession all day and we also played a sweeper with and agin the wind leaving our ff line ( 2 players in first half and 1 in second half) starved of possession. Looked like management were working on a system regardless of the conditions, which is fair enough.

As far as I could make out the starting team was Shaughnessy, Lynch, Kitterick, Butler, Ruane, Coen, Collins, Prendergast, O Donnell, O Connor, Gallagher, O Shea, Regan, Regan, O Shaughnessy.

Some subs were  Steven Conroy, Duffy, Keane in goals, Tom Clarke and another lad I didn t recognise. There was no sign of Cian Burke and Barry Loftus who would be probable starters imo. Anybody else missing??

ballinaman

sans pessimism

"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

ross4life

Quote from: moysider on February 23, 2014, 04:29:36 PM

It was Donegal that we played today.

Mayo had an almost full strength team out. Ended up winning 2-9 to 1-10. Victory looked unlikely after we made little use of the gale in the first half. However 2 cracking goals by Evan Regan (typical solo effort out of nothing) and Darren Duffy were enough to allow Mayo to hang in there. We were second best winning primary possession all day and we also played a sweeper with and agin the wind leaving our ff line ( 2 players in first half and 1 in second half) starved of possession. Looked like management were working on a system regardless of the conditions, which is fair enough.

As far as I could make out the starting team was Shaughnessy, Lynch, Kitterick, Butler, Ruane, Coen, Collins, Prendergast, O Donnell, O Connor, Gallagher, O Shea, Regan, Regan, O Shaughnessy.

Some subs were  Steven Conroy, Duffy, Keane in goals, Tom Clarke and another lad I didn t recognise. There was no sign of Cian Burke and Barry Loftus who would be probable starters imo. Anybody else missing??

Yes Tyrone were busy winning the Shamrock cup today. Much stronger Mayo team than what you were using in the Hastings cup others missing (off the top of my head) would be Anthony Jordan,Ryan Quirke,Kevin Gibbons. We bet Donegal by one point in a recent challenge.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Itchy

Was McBrearty playing for Donegal U21s today in that game?

rodney trotter

Darrach O Connor wouldn't have been anyway, scored 3-6 in Ulster colleges game, MaClarnon Cup Semi

Itchy

Beating Donegal without McBrearty is one thing. When he is there you could add another 6 points to Donegals total

moysider

Quote from: Itchy on February 23, 2014, 09:43:30 PM
Beating Donegal without McBrearty is one thing. When he is there you could add another 6 points to Donegals total

Yeah, McBrearty was playing today. Tank of a man at this level - or any level. Kitterick did well on him. Impressed by Kitterick.