Peter Robinson steps down as First Minister!

Started by under the bar, August 16, 2013, 11:33:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

God14

Imagine that Nolan show had of aired in BBC London, or BBC Midlands? What would the outcry have been...

Indeed we all recognise freedom of speech, but it doesn't mean you can spout all the hate and bile you can muster at one religion grouping. Is there double standards at the BBC as to what is acceptable standards of broadcast - i.e you can get away with it in Northern Ireland but not the mainland? I suppose it was the policy of British security forces in the 1970's...

Unbelievable Jeff!

Keyser soze

The most striking thing for me about the programme and the surrounding controversy is the complete lack of intelligence of McConnell. He came across as a complete thicko last night and I would hazard a guess that he is in the lowest quartile of intelligence of the population as a whole.

It appears that a significant percentage of the DUP bigwigs rely upon this person for interpreting the bible, which is quite a weighty tome, and they appear to rely heavily upon him for spiritual guidance.

It beggars belief that these are the sort of clowns that are getting voted in here. No amount of bile, spite, hatred and bigotry can ever be enough for these people. Trying to compromise with the likes of Robinson Poots etc is a waste of time as they see the world in  black and white where they are the chosen people descended from the lost tribe of Israel and rest of are doomed, whilst they alone are destined for eternal salvation.

It was evident from last night's programme that this wee man was completely bewildered that he was being challenged, when in his eyes he was God's direct conduit on earth. His expression when the audience were laughing at his nonsense was comical.

Unfortunately the comedic aspects of his performance pale into insignificance with the real danger that his words could place people into. And for someone of Robinson's experience to endorse these blatherings and provide public succour to an outright sectarian bigot shows that he isnt that intelligent either, even if, as is clear, he's a unreconstructed bigot also.

johnneycool

Quote from: Keyser soze on May 29, 2014, 12:03:17 PM
The most striking thing for me about the programme and the surrounding controversy is the complete lack of intelligence of McConnell. He came across as a complete thicko last night and I would hazard a guess that he is in the lowest quartile of intelligence of the population as a whole.

It appears that a significant percentage of the DUP bigwigs rely upon this person for interpreting the bible, which is quite a weighty tome, and they appear to rely heavily upon him for spiritual guidance.

It beggars belief that these are the sort of clowns that are getting voted in here. No amount of bile, spite, hatred and bigotry can ever be enough for these people. Trying to compromise with the likes of Robinson Poots etc is a waste of time as they see the world in  black and white where they are the chosen people descended from the lost tribe of Israel and rest of are doomed, whilst they alone are destined for eternal salvation.

It was evident from last night's programme that this wee man was completely bewildered that he was being challenged, when in his eyes he was God's direct conduit on earth. His expression when the audience were laughing at his nonsense was comical.

Unfortunately the comedic aspects of his performance pale into insignificance with the real danger that his words could place people into. And for someone of Robinson's experience to endorse these blatherings and provide public succour to an outright sectarian bigot shows that he isnt that intelligent either, even if, as is clear, he's a unreconstructed bigot also.

Robinson struggles to hide his bigotry beneath that thin veneer of respectability and every once in a while it shows through, this time its the Muslims.

I thought too that the Pastor was somewhat lacking in the intelligence stakes, his bigotry aside, his mannerisms and inability to deviate from his script when challenged on his knowledge of Sharia law was rightly questioned he'd no real answers.

imtommygunn

Quote from: EC Unique on May 29, 2014, 09:56:56 AM
I don't think this is going to go away any time soon. Pete the punt may just have got himself in serious trouble here.

Pete always comes up smelling of roses. Always. He must have some dirt on someone somewhere.

If this has any repercussions on his position I'd be (very pleasantly) surprised.

ballinaman

Any link to last nights show lads...heard it was pretty epic stuff going by twitter.

ballinaman

thejuice

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

5 Sams

It's very worrying that 2,000 people go to hear him every Sunday or whenever and probably pay handsomely for the privilege. This place is bonkers!
The Aristocrat Years

EC Unique

I wonder can anyone just go in on a Sunday and sit down? Would like to go some day for the comical value.

orangeman

Peter knows better than to insult Islam so it's all somebody's else's fault and not his.

However, on Thursday he said his remarks had been "given a meaning that was never intended".

"For the avoidance of any doubt, I make it clear that I welcome the contribution made by all communities in Northern Ireland, and in the particular circumstances, the Muslim community," he said.

"I very much value their contribution at every level to our society and I will take the opportunity to meet with local Muslim leaders to demonstrate my ongoing support for them as integral law abiding citizens in Northern Ireland."

When asked if he owed the Muslim community in Northern Ireland an apology, Mr Robinson said: "If I said anything that was derogatory, of course I would apologise.

"I've indicated very clearly that I would be hurt if any of them felt that I was showing any disrespect for them or was not supportive of them.

"That's why I want to meet Muslim leaders and assure them that they have my ongoing support."

Walter Cronc

Has he stepped down. The title of this thread is confusing lads.

AZOffaly

I thought that as well, but it was actually originally opened in August of last year. Even then it was misleading!

Bensars

Strategic sidestep from Robinson to divert attention away from DUP election performance and dampen the media attention on the SF performance.. He has skin as thick as a rhino and couldnt give a shit what people think, but the last few days have the media running in another direction. Increased unionist vote mobilised and a percentage decrease of that vote for DUP, not withstanding taking the wind out of the sails ( media wise) on the SF perfomance both north and south.

I think he knowingly meant to stir the pot for the above reasons, but it is now escalating.

BTW.... whatever you think of geroge galloway, he is an excellent wind up merchant

ziggysego

Anna Lo has announced she is stepping down from politics at the next Assembly elections.

It was hard watching her on BBC News earlier. Broke down as she now fears Belfast because of the rise of racism and all the verbal abuse she has been receiving.

Well done Peter.
Testing Accessibility