2015 Laois Senior Football

Started by redsetanta, February 13, 2015, 12:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OTF

Look no one so far has seen the Kingston red card incident, yet posters are quick to connect Billy to this even though they haven't seen anything. A lot of people don't like Billy and his antics, but I would suggest you'd get it hard to find a more passionate or committed wearer of the Laois jersey over the last 10 years than Billy despite where he comes from.
Native born Laois players take note.
When Billy arrived on the field on Saturday night he was immediately harassed by a Kildare  defender and a little later by 2, it was at this point Donie intervened, this definitely wasn't the red card incident. Lets not make assumptions here. 
On another note, I thought there was a Laois player (I'm not going to name him for ) didn't exactly commit to at least two  50/50 balls, did anyone else notice this ?

Giovanni

The point I'm making is that the camp will know exactly what happened and how it happened. IF it's the case that Billy Sheehan did something stupid, which led to the sending off of Donie Kingston, the management should know what to do.

As regards his commitment, I would personally rather see him use his energy to focus on what's happening on the ball, rather than constantly getting involved in verbals with opposing players off the ball. As far as I'm concerned, he adds very little - I wouldn't confuse passion with shouting into opposing players faces. The Dubs were at that a few years ago under Caffrey and it was only later when they stopped all that and focused on the things that matter that they started to win All-Irelands.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

I saw the Donnie Kingston incident and it probably deserved a yellow if anything. One of our lads was injured on the ground after a bad tackle by two Kildare players, not a dirty tackle but a very hard one. They were standing over him and shouting at him to get up or something and Donnie ran over and with his two hands pushed the Kildare lad away. If he had pushed him in the chest there would have been nothing about it but his hands were shoulder high and might have looked like a punch which it most certainly was not.

It was something that happens in ever game and there's never a thing about it. That ref was very poor all through and I think we only got three frees in scoreable positions in the whole game which says a lot considering the fouls that were committed on our lads going through.

In fairness there was no reaction from the Kildare player to his credit but the Kildare keeper seemed to be egging on the umpire to report it, which he eventually did after a few minutes. A red card was very harsh and there really was no need for it after a hard and fairly fought game by both sides.
All credit to Kildare for the way they fought back after the way their last few games went and I think they will beat Galway next week as they are too good to be playing Div3 football. That would put us into one hell of a battle to stay up.

We have a huge game next week and we have to do what Kildare did and play like our lives depended on it. Meath beat them last Sunday and theres no reason we cant do the same. We have the players to do it but Down will also need a win to insure them of a place in Div.1 next year.
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

OTF

Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on March 30, 2015, 12:05:33 PM
I saw the Donnie Kingston incident and it probably deserved a yellow if anything. One of our lads was injured on the ground after a bad tackle by two Kildare players, not a dirty tackle but a very hard one. They were standing over him and shouting at him to get up or something and Donnie ran over and with his two hands pushed the Kildare lad away. If he had pushed him in the chest there would have been nothing about it but his hands were shoulder high and might have looked like a punch which it most certainly was not.

It was something that happens in ever game and there's never a thing about it. That ref was very poor all through and I think we only got three frees in scoreable positions in the whole game which says a lot considering the fouls that were committed on our lads going through.

In fairness there was no reaction from the Kildare player to his credit but the Kildare keeper seemed to be egging on the umpire to report it, which he eventually did after a few minutes. A red card was very harsh and there really was no need for it after a hard and fairly fought game by both sides.
All credit to Kildare for the way they fought back after the way their last few games went and I think they will beat Galway next week as they are too good to be playing Div3 football. That would put us into one hell of a battle to stay up.

We have a huge game next week and we have to do what Kildare did and play like our lives depended on it. Meath beat them last Sunday and theres no reason we cant do the same. We have the players to do it but Down will also need a win to insure them of a place in Div.1 next year.

Tom Shiels I believe was the player the player on the ground, would that be correct Junior ?

OTF

Quote from: Giovanni on March 30, 2015, 09:51:08 AM
The point I'm making is that the camp will know exactly what happened and how it happened. IF it's the case that Billy Sheehan did something stupid, which led to the sending off of Donie Kingston, the management should know what to do.

As regards his commitment, I would personally rather see him use his energy to focus on what's happening on the ball, rather than constantly getting involved in verbals with opposing players off the ball. As far as I'm concerned, he adds very little - I wouldn't confuse passion with shouting into opposing players faces. The Dubs were at that a few years ago under Caffrey and it was only later when they stopped all that and focused on the things that matter that they started to win All-Irelands.

Donie Kingston gets sent off but you indicate the stupid one here is Billy Sheehan, don't understand that logic. Its clear from above you don't like him and you have your mind made up anyway.

Thewildcat

Sheehan is always at it i don't know why he is in most laois squads over the years because he brings nothing to the team, trying to wine up other players is his game, remember the ARMAGH game last year i am sure they are looking forward to seen him up north next year.   i think they would be better off giving a young player a run Sheehan there years and and its worse he will be getting, also its a joke to say his club is Emo i was talking to an fella from around there a while ago he says he doesn't even train with the club :-[

Giovanni

Quote from: OTF on March 30, 2015, 12:55:28 PM

Donie Kingston gets sent off but you indicate the stupid one here is Billy Sheehan, don't understand that logic. Its clear from above you don't like him and you have your mind made up anyway.

My point was that if the stupid actions of any Laois player led to the sending off of Donie Kingston, the management should know what to do with that player. It is quite conceivable that the stupid actions of one Laois player could lead to the sending off of another. If Donie Kingston was dragged into a conflict with opposing players because one of his teammates was winding those opposing players up, it's not Donie Kingstons fault - he can hardly be expected to stand by while one of his teammates is being assaulted on the ground. This would be my view whether the culprit is Billy Sheehan or anyone else.

Aside from that incident, yes I admit that I have made up my mind about Billy Sheehan having watched him for the last 8 or 10 years. I don't see what he brings to the team and I don't think it's a coincidence that our performance levels generally increased when he was on the bench.

Windbreaker

great to see  the Laois mentality about intercounty football.. wrap in cotton wool and place in an incubator.. they'll do us proud some day..
if  people are looking to get handy frees and not for the opposition to bully or intimate our players , the wait won't be long, Div 3 will be easier, and i don't think a championship mentality is going to appear before the Carlow game is upon us,
Sheean for all his limitations is committed, is perpared to win the dirty ball a place his body on the line, did Carroll's chance for the goal near the end of the second half not come from sheeans work , Kingstons red card correct , if  you run 10 M and half heartly throw both hands into a lads face and think alls well,it's time to go look at a few football games to understand the rules.. Evan was the player on the ground for this incident, commitment  V's skill who wins

OTF

Quote from: Giovanni on March 30, 2015, 01:37:12 PM
Quote from: OTF on March 30, 2015, 12:55:28 PM

My point was that if the stupid actions of any Laois player led to the sending off of Donie Kingston, the management should know what to do with that player. It is quite conceivable that the stupid actions of one Laois player could lead to the sending off of another. If Donie Kingston was dragged into a conflict with opposing players because one of his teammates was winding those opposing players up, it's not Donie Kingstons fault - he can hardly be expected to stand by while one of his teammates is being assaulted on the ground. This would be my view whether the culprit is Billy Sheehan or anyone else.

Aside from that incident, yes I admit that I have made up my mind about Billy Sheehan having watched him for the last 8 or 10 years. I don't see what he brings to the team and I don't think it's a coincidence that our performance levels generally increased when he was on the bench.

You'r honest enough to admit it fair enough.
It's ten years pretty much automatic on every team under 5 different managers,  have they all being wrong.

OTF

Quote from: Windbreaker on March 30, 2015, 01:47:45 PM
great to see  the Laois mentality about intercounty football.. wrap in cotton wool and place in an incubator.. they'll do us proud some day..
if  people are looking to get handy frees and not for the opposition to bully or intimate our players , the wait won't be long, Div 3 will be easier, and i don't think a championship mentality is going to appear before the Carlow game is upon us,
Sheean for all his limitations is committed, is perpared to win the dirty ball a place his body on the line, did Carroll's chance for the goal near the end of the second half not come from sheeans work , Kingstons red card correct , if  you run 10 M and half heartly throw both hands into a lads face and think alls well,it's time to go look at a few football games to understand the rules.. Evan was the player on the ground for this incident, commitment  V's skill who wins

Exactly I think a lot of Laois supporters have this romantic notion of the beautifull game they don't  see any need for winning dirty ball.

Thewildcat

Quote from: Windbreaker on March 30, 2015, 01:47:45 PM

don't know what games you have seen Sheehan dirty ball and committed, he is at other player the minute the ball is threw up laughing and shouting into a tyrones players face a few years ago come to mind players that let me add won all irelands and this ape laughing and them, i always said if he was any good he would be with kerry.

ILikeStrawberryJam

We only played for 20 mins on Saturday but still almost won. Bolton makes a habit of popping up with goals and should have been tracked from the kick out.
To be fair to the team and MGMT we are trying to play a decent brand of football. Any chance we had to kick the ball we did.
We are screwed for defenders. When p begley didn't start I feared the worst. Attride and O'connor just aren't corner backs but what can we do when there is no one else willing to commit.
thought c begley and timmons were excellent. Damien o conner had a great attacking game.
Thought midfield weren't great but quigley made one of the fetches of the decade towards the end.
Johnno did well at times with his direct running but i thought midfield was a battle we lost for most of the game.
donie and Evan were great when they ran at them.
Donoher was excellent. He's been great lately. Passing and scoring. Ross is just completely out of sorts which makes our recent results all the more impressive. Boyle mixed the good with the bad. Shiels looks good. P Kingston might still  be better
coming in from the bench ..
Down match without Donie and Ross not playing  well seems a very long shot.
Nothing to fear in the championship against Kildare but could really do with mcmahon back.
Kildare are just not dignified winners. The supporters around me lost the plot completely at the final whistle.
Billy has always gave 100% when playing for Laois. Bit mouthy but plays like he really gives a shit. Thought he gave us that bit of a spark when he came on

portlaoisekid

Quote from: ILikeStrawberryJam on March 30, 2015, 07:19:58 PM
We only played for 20 mins on Saturday but still almost won. Bolton makes a habit of popping up with goals and should have been tracked from the kick out.
To be fair to the team and MGMT we are trying to play a decent brand of football. Any chance we had to kick the ball we did.
We are screwed for defenders. When p begley didn't start I feared the worst. Attride and O'connor just aren't corner backs but what can we do when there is no one else willing to commit.
thought c begley and timmons were excellent. Damien o conner had a great attacking game.
Thought midfield weren't great but quigley made one of the fetches of the decade towards the end.
Johnno did well at times with his direct running but i thought midfield was a battle we lost for most of the game.
donie and Evan were great when they ran at them.
Donoher was excellent. He's been great lately. Passing and scoring. Ross is just completely out of sorts which makes our recent results all the more impressive. Boyle mixed the good with the bad. Shiels looks good. P Kingston might still  be better
coming in from the bench ..
Down match without Donie and Ross not playing  well seems a very long shot.
Nothing to fear in the championship against Kildare but could really do with mcmahon back.
Kildare are just not dignified winners. The supporters around me lost the plot completely at the final whistle.
Billy has always gave 100% when playing for Laois. Bit mouthy but plays like he really gives a shit. Thought he gave us that bit of a spark when he came on
I would agree totally with your post, some great points. Kildare fans around me lost the head completely when they won yet the same guys were saying how rubbish Laois were throughout the match.  They have zero respect for us and its not something I give a toss about tbh, they as a support base look down on us and I suppose thats ok for them because that what gets them off but its amazing how for such an inferior county in their eyes we annoy them so much.

County Man

Still sick after the defeat on Saturday. Kildare fans do seem to have a superiority complex when it comes to playing Laois. Its always been the case for as long as I remember. Should the teams meet again on June 6th if we manage to overcome Carlow, this defeat will spur the Laois team on hugely.

Positives on the night: Mark Timmons was outstanding. If he gets injured, we're in big trouble. Tom Shiel had a great game when he came on and looks to have great potential. Donie Kingston would make any team in the country.

Donie is a huge loss for the game against Down. Hopefully we can get a result there. We deserve to stay in this division.

OTF

Quote from: County Man on March 30, 2015, 10:31:48 PM
Still sick after the defeat on Saturday. Kildare fans do seem to have a superiority complex when it comes to playing Laois. Its always been the case for as long as I remember. Should the teams meet again on June 6th if we manage to overcome Carlow, this defeat will spur the Laois team on hugely.

Positives on the night: Mark Timmons was outstanding. If he gets injured, we're in big trouble. Tom Shiel had a great game when he came on and looks to have great potential. Donie Kingston would make any team in the country.

Donie is a huge loss for the game against Down. Hopefully we can get a result there. We deserve to stay in this division.

There isn't a lot in at the minute  if we meet it's a 50/50 game.
As regards their supporters,very like the Dubs they have little knowledge of the game this superiority is in their heads, prior to 97 we used beat them like a drum.