The Handpass in Gaelic Football.

Started by ashman, June 14, 2016, 06:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ashman

Three questions:

1/ is there too much handpassing in modern Gaelic football.

2/ if you think there is , what is the solution.

3) what would be the be benefits for the game.

thewobbler

I'd suggest from the outset that there's two kinds of hand passing. One enables a fluid running game that's a joy to watch. The other is endless recycling of lateral and stationary passes, which is an abomination to watch.

But I'd still rather watch either form than watch lads boot the ball aimlessly forward.

BennyHarp

Remember when they bought in a rule that a hand pass had to be with a closed fist? Whatever happened to that?
That was never a square ball!!

Rossfan

Between about 1950 and 1974 you could only fist the ball.
The throw was brought back then and now about 70% of Gaelic players seldom/never/ can't kick the bloody ball.
The throwing over the bar needs to be abolished asap.
To answer Ashman
1 yes
2 limit it - My proposal is if you get a handpass you can't handpass
3 bring back the foot into football.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

DuffleKing

Yes what we need to improve the game is the comical sight of footballers trying to perfect the subtlety of kick passing 4 yards to a team mate.

This has been trialled already and been an utter failure.

Farrandeelin

How about doing away with the fisted point. Drives me mad seeing players in on goal with the keeper coming out and fisting it over. Maybe it's just me.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rossfan

They don't even have to fist it. As so many if them were using the open hand and getting away with it the rule was changed.
It's a sickening sight alright.
And as for the "pass the parcel" shiteology......

macdanger2

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 14, 2016, 08:06:50 PM
How about doing away with the fisted point. Drives me mad seeing players in on goal with the keeper coming out and fisting it over. Maybe it's just me.

Absolutely, I hate seeing a player not having the confidence to kick the ball and going for the 20m fist/throw instead

Jinxy

How else is Michael Dara MacAuley supposed to score?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: thewobbler on June 14, 2016, 06:19:08 PM
I'd suggest from the outset that there's two kinds of hand passing. One enables a fluid running game that's a joy to watch. The other is endless recycling of lateral and stationary passes, which is an abomination to watch.

But I'd still rather watch either form than watch lads boot the ball aimlessly forward.

+1
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Rossfan

trueblue1234

Quote from: Rossfan on June 17, 2016, 10:05:09 AM
Ulsterites  just love throwball ::)

As opposed to the technically superior "hoof it in".
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

twohands!!!

Quote from: Jinxy on June 17, 2016, 12:15:49 AM
How else is Michael Dara MacAuley supposed to score?

Ah don't be mean to the first Player of the Year who's not able to kick a point.

Rossfan

Quote from: trueblue1234 on June 17, 2016, 10:26:37 AM

As opposed to the technically superior "hoof it in".
No. Think of Dublin  kicking the oul football ;) and all the better kicking it into forwards moving into space. Also kicking long over the heads if the blankets.
As for hoofin it in - at least you might get a score but you won't score playing pass the parcel over and back in the middle of the field.

blewuporstuffed

Yeah, maybe we should all start playing the superior Roscommon brand of football.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either