IRISH NORTHERNERS AND SOUTHERNERS

Started by MoChara, April 14, 2016, 10:01:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AQMP

Quote from: MoChara on April 14, 2016, 04:09:26 PM
Quote from: OgraAnDun on April 14, 2016, 03:59:14 PM
Anyone from Ulster or the 6C that gets offended by the term 'Nordie' or 'Northener' needs to catch themselves on and have a look at which part of the country their county lies in. A lot of people consider Cavan/Monaghan/Donegal people as northerners anyway - because Ulster is in the north of the country.

The trouble comes with some gobshites calling you 'British' or (almost as bad) 'Northern Irish'. A lot of these people subscribe to the modern revisionist view of Irish history and are more interested in furthering the cause of a neutered and PC world than educating themselves about the plight of 6 County Catholics and doing something about it. Don't you know that waving flags (apart from rainbow flags) is uncool?

Being called Northern Irish makes my skin crawl

Agreed, vomit inducing.  Used by Catholics who for some reason think that calling yourself Irish means you're a Provie.

AZOffaly

Only one of those things are wrong.

Walter Cronc

On my travels I've always got on better with Donegal and Monaghan lads (Cavan not much ;)) but surely this is more a geographical thing. Similar humour etc?? Plenty of people in the south 'get it', plenty don't. No big deal.

general_lee

Quote from: T Fearon on April 14, 2016, 04:38:04 PM
What is wrong with being called "Northern Irish?" It is merely an accurate reflection of reality.I wish more people in the North identified themselves as Northern Irish as opposed to the ridiculous British or Irish titles
Northern Irish to me = British

muppet

Quote from: general_lee on April 14, 2016, 05:06:34 PM
What is wrong with being called "Northern Irish?" It is merely an accurate reflection of reality.I wish more people in the North identified themselves as Northern Irish as opposed to the ridiculous British or Irish titles

Is there any term (derogatory or otherwise) for someone born of Unionist/Loyalist stock who identifies themselves more as Irish?

I am thinking of the opposite of West Brit for example.
MWWSI 2017

screenexile

I wouldn't say that.

It's a very watered down version of what people feel. I'd equate it to someone saying they are agnostic. . . most couldn't give a shit about the baggage that comes with saying you're either British or Irish so they find it easier to say Northern Irish.

Personally I don't give a shit either way but I'm not watering down my Nationality for anyone regardless of what baggage comes with it. I couldn't give a f**k if you want to be Irish or British good luck to you!

You'll find very timid people use Northern Irish or else those in the public eye who don't want to offend one way or the other.

screenexile

Quote from: muppet on April 14, 2016, 05:11:58 PM

Is there any term (derogatory or otherwise) for someone born of Unionist/Loyalist stock who identifies themselves more as Irish?

Lundy!!

muppet

Quote from: screenexile on April 14, 2016, 05:13:56 PM

Lundy!!

Really?

They could probably try a bit harder with that one.
MWWSI 2017

AQMP

Fenian Lover!

muppet

Quote from: AQMP on April 14, 2016, 05:15:09 PM

Fenian Lover!

There it is.

Suitably insulting and yet a century out of date, as the genre requires.
MWWSI 2017

general_lee

Quote from: screenexile on April 14, 2016, 05:13:21 PM

I wouldn't say that.

It's a very watered down version of what people feel. I'd equate it to someone saying they are agnostic. . . most couldn't give a shit about the baggage that comes with saying you're either British or Irish so they find it easier to say Northern Irish.

Personally I don't give a shit either way but I'm not watering down my Nationality for anyone regardless of what baggage comes with it. I couldn't give a f**k if you want to be Irish or British good luck to you!

You'll find very timid people use Northern Irish or else those in the public eye who don't want to offend one way or the other.
Well it's subjective I suppose. Plenty of people from nationalist and Unionist backgrounds describe themselves as Northern Irish and good enough for them - but in my experience they're the type who haven't a clue about the history, the divisions etc. So they don't see any baggage. To me they may as well just declare their Britishness. It's like drinking Diet coke. You're still drinking coke.

T Fearon

I would describe myself now as "Northern Irish".It is unique and has no relation to Britain whatsoever,and reflects the reality of a part of Ireland that has been physically and largely culturally separate,and is drifting further and further apart in this respect,from the rest of the island for nearly a century.

I have no longer any sovereign aspirations to belong to a state that files me under its foreign affairs dept,and less and less affinity with the general atheism,greed,unionist British empathy,and boorishness of our hitherto southern brethren.In short I believe a United Ireland would be disastrous currently for Northern nationalists,who are not understood by Dublin and largely pigeon holed down there with Sinn Fein who are reviled.

general_lee

Mature, comfortable with their identity, progressive, open minded... Some terms that spring to mind.

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on April 14, 2016, 05:41:48 PM
I would describe myself now as "Northern Irish".It is unique and has no relation to Britain whatsoever,and reflects the reality of a part of Ireland that has been physically and largely culturally separate,and is drifting further and further apart in this respect,from the rest of the island for nearly a century.

I have no longer any sovereign aspirations to belong to a state that files me under its foreign affairs dept,and less and less affinity with the general atheism,greed,unionist British empathy,and boorishness of our hitherto southern brethren.In short I believe a United Ireland would be disastrous currently for Northern nationalists,who are not understood by Dublin and largely pigeon holed down there with Sinn Fein who are reviled.

This is not intended as a retort, it is just to stop you deleting it like you did the last time.  :D
MWWSI 2017

Beffs

Quote from: T Fearon on April 14, 2016, 05:41:48 PM

You think a lack of religion/belief in God/organized religion is a problem in the 26 counties?

Jesus !

There are many people who would say that historically, it has had far too much of it & that its citizens suffered terribly as a result.