John Delaney singing Joe McDonnell

Started by theticklemister, November 25, 2014, 12:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: Evil Genius on December 03, 2014, 05:01:58 PM
Quote from: muppet on November 27, 2014, 03:59:20 PM
I think I recall us being delighted in 1993 when Billy Bingham conducted the Windsor Park crowd as they regaled us with Billy Boys and The Sash.
Afternoon all.

But I cannot let that slur on Bingham go unanswered. For unlike every single person whom I've heard repeat it, I was at the game in question. And if various 'Party Tunes' were sung by a section of the crowd at times during the game, on the one occasion when Bingham had cause to walk down the touchline, the crowd were singing "One Team in Ireland", to their own and Billy's* great joy (NI were 1-0 up at the time, with the clock running down). And it was at this point he waved his hand round in a curious motion, part acknowledgement, part "conducting".

He has never specifically denied it. What Bingham said was that he claimed at the time that his only intention was to get the crowd behind the team, not to provoke sectarian hatred. This was on the back of calling the Irish team a 'bunch of mercenaries' before the game. Charlton refused to shake hands with him after the game.

And as for your eyewitness report, these short clips, which only include a few minutes, shows he conducted the crowd at least twice.

Once at 4:35 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEE7yx-SmWE&spfreload=10
And then here, before the match: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI1KuKKY7JU&spfreload=10

And I am not saying the man behaved like that every day of his life. Merely that night. I had long admired Bingham, until that night.

MWWSI 2017

Evil Genius

Quote from: muppet on December 03, 2014, 06:55:06 PM
He has never specifically denied it..
He has never denied introducing potato blight to Ireland, or shooting Michael Collins, either.

When was he specifically accused of it, and what was his response?

What Bingham said was that he claimed at the time that his only intention was to get the crowd behind the team, not to provoke sectarian hatred.
The crowd were singing "One Team in Ireland" and he, enjoying the joke, encouraged them on. That was it, that was what happened - I know, because I was there singing it, too.

This was on the back of calling the Irish team a 'bunch of mercenaries' before the game. Charlton refused to shake hands with him after the game.
There was tension leading up to the game, but it takes two to cause a row. Charlton had already said some inflammatory things eg about security and was refusing to comply with FIFA directions to the team for the game (FIFA had to instruct him).

You know, nice easy-going Jack Charlton, the man who never raised his voice to anyone...  ::)

P.S. Subsequent to the game, when the heat had died down, JC freely acknowledged that he had no problem with BB, that it was all a storm in a teacup.

And as for your eyewitness report, these short clips, which only include a few minutes, shows he conducted the crowd at least twice.

Once at 4:35 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEE7yx-SmWE&spfreload=10
And then here, before the match: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI1KuKKY7JU&spfreload=10

And I am not saying the man behaved like that every day of his life. Merely that night. I had long admired Bingham, until that night.
Those two clips prove absolutely nothing.

In one, he was walking to the dugout before KO, the crowd were chanting his name and he was acknowledging them.

And in the other, he made a brief gesture.

In neither clip can the Billy Boys be heard anywhere - though "Northern Ireland" clearly can.

Ah right. With absolutely no evidence at all, but eye-witness accounts to the contrary, he suddenly acted completely out-of-character, because you - who wasn't there and have NO evidence - say so.

Meanwhile, it was nowhere reported in any newspapers, no video exists, no player (either side) ever mentioned it in press interviews, or Autobiographies since.

But you say it happened, so that's good enough.

Quite frankly, when you insist on making such a preposterous claim, it is YOU who is the Bigot, not Bingham.

On which point I have nothing more to add,so you can carry on being a k u n t if you like without me.

"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

muppet

QuoteAnd if various 'Party Tunes' were sung by a section of the crowd at times during the game, on the one occasion when Bingham had cause to walk down the touchline, the crowd were singing "One Team in Ireland", to their own and Billy's* great joy (NI were 1-0 up at the time, with the clock running down). And it was at this point he waved his hand round in a curious motion, part acknowledgement, part "conducting".

What a bizarre straw man argument. No one has ever accused him of introducing potato blight or shooting Michael Collins. Unless you are about to.

You said 'the one occasion'. And I have proved there were at least two occasions that he 'conducted'. If I bothered to dig further I could probably find more. 

You are not much of an eyewitness. And let's face it, were you watching Bingham or the game?

And while I wasn't at that game, I was at a game with Spain a few years earlier. I know what they used to sing in Windsor Park.
MWWSI 2017

rrhf

such a load of crap.  If John Delaney was to do the right thing he wouldnt sing any more in pubs, if Billy Bingham was to do the right thing he wouldnt wave his hand in a curious manner any more.  (By the way sounds a little like a Queens Wave :))
Now move on.. new chapter for the book.
Delaney - Football, Floppy and full.... the best of the Irish Jobs for life..

foxcommander

Quote from: rrhf on December 04, 2014, 04:27:25 PM
such a load of crap.  If John Delaney was to do the right thing he wouldnt sing any more in pubs, if Billy Bingham was to do the right thing he wouldnt wave his hand in a curious manner any more.  (By the way sounds a little like a Queens Wave :))

Delaney's autobiography is going to be a bestseller. Can't wait.

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

muppet

Quote from: foxcommander on December 04, 2014, 05:07:58 PM

Suggestions for a title...........

Roy, sod on me & the lash.
MWWSI 2017

foxcommander

Quote from: muppet on December 04, 2014, 05:13:56 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on December 04, 2014, 05:07:58 PM

Suggestions for a title...........

Roy, sod on me & the lash.

Getting Paid and Getting Laid: A Charmed Existence by John Delaney.
Foreword by Sepp Blatter.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Evil Genius on December 03, 2014, 05:01:58 PM
Quote from: muppet on November 27, 2014, 03:59:20 PM
I think I recall us being delighted in 1993 when Billy Bingham conducted the Windsor Park crowd as they regaled us with Billy Boys and The Sash.
Afternoon all.

Flying visit, neither time nor inclination to get into the whole Delaney business (part of me is glad that the FAI have that snake in charge, since he'll ride them rock solid til they've nothing left).

But I cannot let that slur on Bingham go unanswered. For unlike every single person whom I've heard repeat it, I was at the game in question. And if various 'Party Tunes' were sung by a section of the crowd at times during the game, on the one occasion when Bingham had cause to walk down the touchline, the crowd were singing "One Team in Ireland", to their own and Billy's* great joy (NI were 1-0 up at the time, with the clock running down). And it was at this point he waved his hand round in a curious motion, part acknowledgement, part "conducting".

Of course, some will claim that someone like me would make such a claim to defend his man, in which case, I would ask why such a "bigot" would choose a Derry Catholic like Martin O'Neill as his Captain? And why would such a strong-willed person as O'Neill accept?

Further, why would a "bigot" choose a Falls Road Catholic (Gerry Armstrong) to be his Best Man at his second wedding?

"Feel the Hatred"

And while we're on the subject, someone mentioned Jim Boyce earlier, in an unflattering light. Now Jim may be a lot of things (tell me about it!), but he hasn't a sectarian bone in his body. As evidence of that is the fact he is a former President of Cliftonville FC (and continuing supporter) and also a keen follower of Cricket, including the (All-) Ireland team.
He did call Delaney out for being "stupid" - in his FIFA capacity, mind, not his IFA one - but then later generously accepted his apology (note my bold):

Jim Boyce: John Delaney made a big mistake but his apology should be accepted

FIFA Vice President Jim Boyce has claimed John Delaney made a big mistake by singing republican ballad Joe McDonnell in a Dublin pub following Ireland's friendly win over the USA.

Boyce, a long time friend of Delaney's, earlier this week slammed the CEO of the FAI for his "stupid" actions.

And speaking on RTE 1 radio today, the Northern Irishman reaffirmed his beliefs and said that Delaney made a big mistake, but that an apology should suffice.

"I know John Delaney a long time," said Boyce on RTE radio today.

"We've shared dinners together, we've shared many a good evening together. I'm sure today he regrets very much what he did."

Boyce himself was injured in a bomb attack during the troubles and has always spoken out against sectarianism.

"I was injured in a very bad bomb explosion on my second wedding anniversary. 

"I have always consistently condemned any form of bigotry or sectarianism. It didn't change me as a person because I have no time for it.

"No matter what side it comes from, I would say the same if this had come from the loyalist side, I have no time glorifying people who murdered many innocent people."

Delaney apologised for his actions and Boyce says that he will regret his actions and must be more careful in the future.

"We all make mistakes. I think John has made a big mistake in this particular instance," Added Boyce.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/other-soccer/jim-boyce-john-delaney-made-a-big-mistake-but-his-apology-should-be-accepted-30777211.html

P.S. If JD's counterpart at the IFA were caught eg singing a UVF ballad, or even The Sash, in a pub round the corner from Windsor on the evening after an NI game, I would expect him to have cleared his desk within 24 hours. And if he didn't, I and many other NI fans would be demanding it (not that it would ever happen, I'm certain)

* - This was his last game in charge and he wanted badly to go out on a win.

Ah, stuff John Delaney. The less I hear of him, the more I like it. ;D
Welcome back!
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

balladmaker

Goes to show that good can come from any situation ... proceeds from single to Simon Community ...