Will Wexford ever honour their greatest sportsman?

Started by Silky, November 02, 2009, 11:35:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: EddieMerx on November 08, 2009, 09:07:03 PM
Your name is very apt! the thread is about why businessmen are kicking up a fuss over not spending money on a statue! tell me what benefit the statue will bring to the wexford town economy from erecting this statue?? or perhaps explain why Wexford Library should lose financing as the money is being diverted to build a statue? GET SOME PERSPECTIVE

You are the 1st to say that, really you are. Truly original wit.

Now if you have to ask what recognising a Gaa legend does for a town you should go back to your library and put your Nimbyism back into your anorak.
MWWSI 2017

EddieMerx

Just making an observation, and maybe you don't watch the news but the country is broke! Councils have no cash - I call this view Frugal you call it Nimbyism.

muppet

Quote from: EddieMerx on November 08, 2009, 09:26:51 PM
Just making an observation, and maybe you don't watch the news but the country is broke! Councils have no cash - I call this view Frugal you call it Nimbyism.

Maybe you should read the board more.

And I don't think not putting up a statue to a Gaa legend save the economy, despite the heroic efforts of the 'some local businesses'. I hope to read that the Gaa people of Wexford boycott those businesses until they appreciate the contribution of our games.
MWWSI 2017

EddieMerx

Quote from: muppet on November 08, 2009, 09:32:52 PM
Maybe you should read the board more.

And I don't think not putting up a statue to a Gaa legend save the economy, despite the heroic efforts of the 'some local businesses'. I hope to read that the Gaa people of Wexford boycott those businesses until they appreciate the contribution of our games.

Why? has gaaboard come up with some ten point plan where by the Government can raise cash without going further into debt?? I am all for honouring our heroes but I think the sensible approach would be to name the bridge after him or perhaps the renovated wexford seafront. Muppet I think prudence and intelligent thought should be used by the Council to come up with solutions instead of the age old Irish approach of lets build a statue! Boycotting business who employ local people and keep the local economy afloat is probably not in peoples best interest

Lecale2

A very poor response Eddie. Would ye just buiild a feckin statue like every other County? Have you something against Nicky Rackard?

EddieMerx

Quote from: Lecale2 on November 09, 2009, 09:52:06 AM
A very poor response Eddie. Would ye just buiild a feckin statue like every other County? Have you something against Nicky Rackard?

Poor response? Balanced and reasoned explaining that the Public finances are shot! I think naming the bridge which is probably one of the most famous structures in the South East is far more honouring, I am surprised by the sheer lack of economic knowledge shown here, you can't build what you can't afford! (that's what got us into this economic mess)

INDIANA

If we were to build statues for every famous player - places like kerry would have more statues than people! The general way of doing it is to name something after someone. Could they not re-name wexford park after him or something.

EddieMerx

Yes the County Board I'm sure they could but they seem to feel it is up to the Council to do something

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

In Castlebar the council is naming the roundabouts at the moment according to the papers. One suggestion was Mayo50/51, but no mention of a Mayo36, however this precedent could be brilliant, there are about 20 roundabouts in Castlebar I'd say. Now if we won a tilte or a 2 or 3 in-a-row for each we would be flying all together.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

cornafean

Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

muppet

Quote from: EddieMerx on November 09, 2009, 10:23:03 AM

Poor response? Balanced and reasoned explaining that the Public finances are shot! I think naming the bridge which is probably one of the most famous structures in the South East is far more honouring, I am surprised by the sheer lack of economic knowledge shown here, you can't build what you can't afford! (that's what got us into this economic mess)

Your initial response about the Wexford businessmen was that 'there is nothing in it for them'. That is neither reasoned or balanced and it doesn't save the economy either. In fact I would argue that the 'I'll block it if there is nothing in it for me' attitude is precisely why our economy is in a massive mess in the first place.
MWWSI 2017

scalder

This topic was raked over on the Wexford Supporters site as well;

Wexford Too Cosmopolitan for Rackard
http://www.wexfordsupporters.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=749&highlight=rackard

EddieMerx

Quote from: muppet on November 09, 2009, 01:39:30 PM

Your initial response about the Wexford businessmen was that 'there is nothing in it for them'. That is neither reasoned or balanced and it doesn't save the economy either. In fact I would argue that the 'I'll block it if there is nothing in it for me' attitude is precisely why our economy is in a massive mess in the first place.

What would businessmen be concerned about? what would a grouping of businessmen feel is in their best interest when spending the money they pay in rates? do you want a hint? something along the lines of aiding doing business in Wexford!! I take it you never did economics so I will not cast judgement.

Our economy is in this mess because nobody questioned (large % of the population anyway) the policy of throwing money around which I believe you are proposing with your build it now attitude.

muppet

Quote from: EddieMerx on November 09, 2009, 02:10:57 PM
Quote from: muppet on November 09, 2009, 01:39:30 PM

What would businessmen be concerned about? what would a grouping of businessmen feel is in their best interest when spending the money they pay in rates? do you want a hint? something along the lines of aiding doing business in Wexford!! I take it you never did economics so I will not cast judgement.

Our economy is in this mess because nobody questioned (large % of the population anyway) the policy of throwing money around which I believe you are proposing with your build it now attitude.

I take it you don't think sculpting is a business? Only businesses that you & local Wexford businessmen approve of are worthy of having money spent on them, is that it?
MWWSI 2017

EddieMerx

No point in arguing with somebody who doesn't seem to have perspective, no doubt the person commissioned to do the sculpting would be some foreign manufacturer (you do know that our tender process goes to the cheapest contractor which most likely would be some manufacturer in Spain or Turkey) That would be great for the Local Economy ::)