McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WT4E

What is McCann at?

I actually tried to defend him with the Monaghan incident but he's done it again on Saturday night and nots the only time since Monaghan game. If I was him I'd be trying to stay on my feet even if big Sucky Bell was boxing the head of me!

And on another note - whats Mickeys policies on sunbeds? McCann is surely frequenting them a bit too much too!  ::)

smort

Think you have got that spot on Walter

Main Street

Quote from: Any craic on January 23, 2016, 11:02:23 PM
See some of the mayhem from tonight in this one-minute video..
http://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2016/01/23/news/mckenna-cup-final-tyrone-v-derry-391922/?param=ds441rif44T
I have changed my mind on this McKenna Cup, it was a stroke of genius to turn it into a satire on cage fighting.
The false penalty save routine was also good for a laugh.    penalty saved -  one side roars,  -  oops ... butterfingers --  scored on the rebound  --  the other side roars  and all in the space of a second.

Anyway, congratulations  to Tyrone on their Nth title victory (lost count of just how many).
I see that Mickey Harte, the jubilant winning manager, has taken Bennyharps' McKenna cup affirmation 'better to win than to lose' and run with it. Though post match  altering it bizarrely to "I would rather be using than losing"
Surely  Mickey is not openly supporting the use of illegal substances in sport?

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Main Street on January 25, 2016, 11:37:23 AM
Quote from: Any craic on January 23, 2016, 11:02:23 PM
See some of the mayhem from tonight in this one-minute video..
http://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2016/01/23/news/mckenna-cup-final-tyrone-v-derry-391922/?param=ds441rif44T
I have changed my mind on this McKenna Cup, it was a stroke of genius to turn it into a satire on cage fighting.
The false penalty save routine was also good for a laugh.    penalty saved -  one side roars,  -  oops ... butterfingers --  scored on the rebound  --  the other side roars  and all in the space of a second.

Anyway, congratulations  to Tyrone on their Nth title victory (lost count of just how many).
I see that Mickey Harte, the jubilant winning manager, has taken Bennyharps' McKenna cup affirmation 'better to win than to lose' and run with it. Though post match  altering it bizarrely to "I would rather be using than losing"
Surely  Mickey is not openly supporting the use of illegal substances in sport?

Monaghan would know all there is to about doping.

general_lee

I wouldn't be complaining if Armagh were in the position Tyrone are. As much as I enjoy ridiculing them they've won matches, tried players out and have something to show for it with momentum going into the NFL.

BennyHarp

Quote from: general_lee on January 25, 2016, 11:44:53 AM
I wouldn't be complaining if Armagh were in the position Tyrone are. As much as I enjoy ridiculing them they've won matches, tried players out and have something to show for it with momentum going into the NFL.

This is exactly it. Nobody really cares about the trophy, its the games and the opportunity to try players in a competitive environment that is important. If you win its a bonus (and is better than losing  ;D), but not the end of the world. That game v Derry was better than any number of in house games or friendlies. Having 7,000 blood boiled spectators at that game created an atmosphere which you cant recreate in friendlies. It is a better attendance than some games down the country will get in their provincial championship and enables you to judge a players aptitude and appetite for the big occasion that little bit better. This can give a manager the confidence to throw a new player (such as Sludden who excelled when he came in) into a bigger game and know he can cope.

I wonder who Monaghan and Armagh where playing last weekend in preparation for the national league and how much the management learned about their new players in those games?
That was never a square ball!!

DennistheMenace

But then weight that up against getting two injuries to very key players for Derry which could be very damaging long term, Lynn in particular. Bigger fish to fry further down the line but certainly good preparation for the league. I think Derry and Tyrone will both finish in the top 2 in the league.

sensethetone

Quote from: DennistheMenace on January 25, 2016, 12:09:21 PM
But then weight that up against getting two injuries to very key players for Derry which could be very damaging long term, Lynn in particular. Bigger fish to fry further down the line but certainly good preparation for the league. I think Derry and Tyrone will both finish in the top 2 in the league.

I think Derry and Tyrone will top Div 2. Another meeting of them in Croke Park few weeks before the championship is what everyone really needs.

lenny

Quote from: WT4E on January 25, 2016, 10:42:00 AM
What is McCann at?

I actually tried to defend him with the Monaghan incident but he's done it again on Saturday night and nots the only time since Monaghan game. If I was him I'd be trying to stay on my feet even if big Sucky Bell was boxing the head of me!

And on another note - whats Mickeys policies on sunbeds? McCann is surely frequenting them a bit too much too!  ::)

The problem for McCann is that he received absolutely no criticism from within his own county re hairgate. In fact he became almost hero worshipped for his actions - facebook and twitter support groups were set up and so hence he will continue his diving antics as he knows not only is it accepted within his own county, it seems to be lauded.

trueblue1234

Quote from: lenny on January 25, 2016, 12:28:31 PM
What is McCann at?

The problem for McCann is that he received absolutely no criticism from within his own county re hairgate. In fact he became almost hero worshipped for his actions - facebook and twitter support groups were set up and so hence he will continue his diving antics as he knows not only is it accepted within his own county, it seems to be lauded.

Complete nonsense. but I understand this is a trying time for you.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

general_lee

Quote from: BennyHarp on January 25, 2016, 11:56:56 AM
Quote from: general_lee on January 25, 2016, 11:44:53 AM
I wonder who Monaghan and Armagh where playing last weekend in preparation for the national league and how much the management learned about their new players in those games?
Exactly. Armagh played Roscommon (won) and Antrim (bate) albeit with a second string out. But gimme a match under lights and a decent crowd any day again you lot or the aristocrats to get the players (and supporters) fired up for the season ahead

Mikhailov

Few observations from the game last Saturday night;

1. Athletic Grounds is a great place for a game, compact and generally a super atmosphere
2. Mooney the referee was out of his depth - not up to that level yet...
3. Derry should have won in normal time, that is twice now that they have missed the opportunity to put Tyrone away. That will play on the mind set of the full camp involved.
4. Derry led by 4 at HT with slight breeze to come and should have played a more attacking style, seemed to hold on to whatever they had instead of pushing for home
5. Barton has 100% certainly improved Derry as he done with all his previous teams at club level but can he get them over the line - which he failed to do with all his previous club teams !!
6. Both teams very fit for January and both will do well in NFL
7. Tyrone were poor in 1st half but half time subs give them a more potent threat up front which in the end was the difference
8. No wonder Daniel McKinless has dislocated both knees if that is the way he tackles
9. Tiernan McCann needs to be careful in future. He is gaining too much unwanted attention be it his tackling, his tan, his hair but it is time to let his football do the talking.
10. Both teams have unearthed some promising new talent and this augers well for both camps.
11. Conor Meyler was immense for his contribution, single handily turned the game in Tyrones favour and was then helped by the introduction of Sludden and McCurry.
12. For Derry I thought Gareth McKinless, Emmett Bradley, Conor McAtamney, Enda Lynn and James Kielt were best
13. Chrissy McKaigue is a super player and he kept Mattie Donnelly quiet but left the middle channel wide open as he followed Donnelly and Tyrone took full advantage with Meyler / Sludden and others galloping straight up the middle every attack. He either needs to sit or not play no.6
14. For Tyrone I thought HP McGeary, Conor McAliskey, Conor Meyler, Lee Brennan and Darren McCurry were best.
15. Derry will win the NFL game as Tyrone are poor in Omagh and the Championship will be a draw. There is not much between these teams at the minute and current relationships are bringing this back to the cauldron that was the 90's.

Finally would like to wish both Brendan Rogers and Enda Lynn all the best in their respective recovery. As a parent, it is not nice to watch your young lad lying injured on a pitch and hope they recover soon. Rogers looks seriously young and whilst I know he is in his early 20's he looks even younger.

That is only my opinion ......

lenny

Quote from: trueblue1234 on January 25, 2016, 12:29:52 PM
What is McCann at?

I have posted this before and I still await anyone who can post me a link to a tyrone person condemning McCann's dive. There was plenty of condemnation from elsewhere but tyrone people circled the wagons and stuck up for their man.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: lenny on January 25, 2016, 03:33:54 PM
What is McCann at?

I have posted this before and I still await anyone who can post me a link to a tyrone person condemning McCann's dive. There was plenty of condemnation from elsewhere but tyrone people circled the wagons and stuck up for their man.

I condemned him. Loads did.

However we also recognised he was then treated unfairly by the powers that be and it was the punishment we/I condemned.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: lenny on January 25, 2016, 03:33:54 PM
What is McCann at?

Just because you keep posting it doesn't mean its not complete bullsh1t.
I condemned McCann on here at the time, as did the vast majority of Tyrone posters.
Tyrone people may have defended him against the ridiculous 8 week ban that was thrown at him, but I cant recall a single person condoning the dive itself.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either