Lions 2009 thread

Started by Hound, February 12, 2009, 04:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

25-3

Great break from Bowe.

Jamie Roberts looks like he's made the 12 shirt his own.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

tyroneboi

That was a pretty awesome first half. Roberts and O'Driscoll look like the making of a deadly centre partnership/

Schkite

Roberts looking excellent alright, has struck up a good partnership with BOD by the looks of this. Bowe great too, setting up some amount. Croft looking very good too.

Donnellys Hollow

Some try by Ferris at the end.

Roberts and Bowe have nailed down their test positions now I'd say. The left wing slot might be up for grabs though. I've a feeling they might not fancy putting Shane Williams in against the Boks physicality. Ugo Monye did well tonight but he still looks a bit raw. Fitzgerald needs to put in a big performance on Saturday.

Kearney was solid throughout but he'll have to play out of his skin to dislodge Lee Byrne.

screenexile

Just watching the replay of the game here and the Lions are awesome! Jenkins, Mears, Wyn Jones, Croft, Phillips, Jones, Bowe, O'Driscoll, Roberts have really put their hands up for a test spot as far as I can see. Add to that O'Connell and Byrne being nailed on for the Test team also and there wouldn't seem to be many places up for grabs!

Good job there are a few games before the first Test to get a look at everyone. I know it's only one performance but things are definitely looking a lot better than they were this time on Saturday night.

Capt Pat

I would take tonights result with a pinch of salt against what was supposed to be a better team than the one they played on saturday. Having said that Bowe and Roberts look to be heading for the test team, it is all about taking your chances on a short tour like this one. I would say Fitzgerald and Kearmey are a lot more talented than Bowe but he has grabbed his chnce with both hands. I would like to see Williams and Habana clash on the wing in the test match I do not think Williams will be overwhelmed as the one thing he has is real pace to match Habana.

Luke fitzgerald looked unhappy sitting in the stand, is he injured. He also looks a bit like Beaker in that suit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpcUxwpOQ_A

Hoof Hearted

What would the team be for the 1st Test if it was in a weeks time. This is my guess with the shoe-in's in bold (bar injury)
1 . Jenkins
2 . Mears
3. Vickery
4. Wyn-Jones
5. O'Connell
6.Croft
7.Williams
8.Heaslip
9.Phillips
10.O'Gara
11.Fitzgerald
12.Roberts
13.O'Driscoll
14.Bowe
15.Byrne
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Schkite

I wouldn't say Bowe has just taken his chance in this tour, he's been one of the front-runners for a wing spot for a good while now and was widely regarded as one of the best wings in the 6N, if not the best. He's come on some amount in the last year since moving to the Ospreys. Can't compare Kearney with Bowe really to be fair, and it's a bit strange to say Fitzgerald is alot more talented than Bowe, maybe in time he might but not at the minute I wouldn't say.

screenexile

The way Stephen Jones and O'Driscoll linked up tonight it looks like a good 10 13 partnership and Jones would be my first choice ten at the minute by a good distance!

Schkite

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on June 03, 2009, 11:40:38 PM
What would the team be for the 1st Test if it was in a weeks time. This is my guess with the shoe-in's in bold (bar injury)
1 . Jenkins
2 . Mears
3. Vickery
4. Wyn-Jones
5. O'Connell
6.Croft
7.Williams
8.Heaslip
9.Phillips
10.O'Gara
11.Fitzgerald
12.Roberts
13.O'Driscoll
14.Bowe
15.Byrne

I'd say Jones has edged into the lead for the 10 jersey. ROG had a good game at the weekend but there was great link play between the trio of Jones, BOD and Roberts. ROG will have to work to get back ahead of him I'd say but sure a few games left yet.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Capt Pat on June 03, 2009, 11:13:50 PM
I would take tonights result with a pinch of salt against what was supposed to be a better team than the one they played on saturday. Having said that Bowe and Roberts look to be heading for the test team, it is all about taking your chances on a short tour like this one. I would say Fitzgerald and Kearmey are a lot more talented than Bowe but he has grabbed his chnce with both hands. I would like to see Williams and Habana clash on the wing in the test match I do not think Williams will be overwhelmed as the one thing he has is real pace to match Habana.

Luke fitzgerald looked unhappy sitting in the stand, is he injured. He also looks a bit like Beaker in that suit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpcUxwpOQ_A

I'm not sure about that one. Bowe has really improved over the past eighteen months. Joining the Hairsprays and the influence of Kidney have been of great benefit to his game. His handling and offloading have improved no end. He always had the size but he just needed to add the skills to go with it.

Test team I'd like to see: Byrne, Bowe, O'Driscoll, Roberts, Fitzgerald, Jones, Phillips, Jenkins, Ford, Murray, O'Callaghan, O'Connell, Ferris, Williams, Wallace.
Replacements: Rees, Vickery, Wyn-Jones, Heaslip, Ellis, O'Gara, Kearney.

Hoof Hearted

i know what you mean lads but like the last tour it could come down to the 3 pointers, and not being biased, i think O'Gara just edges it, but as you say Schkite, a good few games left yet. IMHO ofcourse.
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Donnellys Hollow

ROG is definitely has the better boot, both from hand and off the ground. Jones has a quare old kicking technique that looks great when he connects right but they can go astray on occasion. ROG is probably the better distributor as well. He has a long flat pass off either hand that can put his outside backs into space.

Jones will get the nod though unless he has an absolute mare against Western Province on Saturday week. Gatland and Edwards will ensure that his superior defence will see him selected.

Schkite

Yeah the defence is a downfall of ROG, South Africa will target him time and again if he starts. But I don't think it'll come down to just that, if he performs well he'll give the management a selection headache. To be fair though I think he's a bit to do to get into the team should Jones keep playing like he did tonight. Plus Phillips did well and they'll see him with Jones as a good half-back combo.

Tommy Tight Lips

would still like to see everyone get at least another game maybe two but id say at least half the test slots are not far off being nailed on already.jenkins and wyn jones had superb games 2nite,phillips and jones looked a very good partnership.ROG may well have problems dislodging jones,whilst he did very little wrong at the weekend,mcgeechan might just opt for the welsh partnership.id say 4 of the back 5 are done and dusted barring injury (byrne,bowe,odriscoll and roberts).
still 2 out of the back row will be irish,wallace or ferris to join heislip.croft can certainly move about a pitch,great athleticism and good line out option.

must also remember that whilst the lions were very good tonight,they had it very easy,the golden lions looked very ordinary.we'll know a lot more a week b4 the test obviously.hope ocallaghan and fitzgerald have big games this weekend!!!