Books

Started by 5 Sams, June 09, 2007, 02:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billys Boots

Quote from: Hardy on April 12, 2012, 07:40:07 PM
Quote from: CiKe on April 12, 2012, 07:25:42 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 12, 2012, 03:30:47 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on April 12, 2012, 01:14:42 PM
Now that I think about it Hardy, I bought it on your recommendation.  Thanks!
You read the other two; Little Man, What Now? and Wolf Among Wolves? Might fire thesd onto the Kindle tonight.

Hey now, I'll not have someone steal the credit due me, I was the first to recommend!

Tony presume you haven't read them rather than looking to reread them? I'd be interested to know what they're like as well, as can't think of any books i've ever read that are better than Alone in Berlin. If they're half as good, should be plenty.

Fair play, Cike. I do seem to remember it was your recommendation that brought it to my attention. I am in your debt.

Sorry CiKe - my brain is addled with old-age, thanks.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

BerfArmagh

Check out any book by Karin Slaughter if you like gritty crime novels

Tony Baloney

ziggy90

Just finished a truly remarkable book " A Fine Balance" by Rohinton Mistry". It is a microcosm of Indian society in the 70,s. Don't let the subject matter put you off, it really is the most insightful look into the human spirit I have ever read.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

5 Sams

Had a quick glance through Jimmy Deenihan's book last week and will probably buy it at some stage. Anyone read it yet?
The Aristocrat Years

Tony Baloney

Quote from: 5 Sams on April 27, 2012, 02:42:51 PM
Had a quick glance through Jimmy Deenihan's book last week and will probably buy it at some stage. Anyone read it yet?
You need help for that Kerry obsession!

Harold Disgracey

Quote from: BerfArmagh on April 05, 2012, 05:20:13 PM
Quote from: Harold Disgracey on March 27, 2012, 11:39:10 PM
Just finished The Phantom, the latest Harry Hole thriller by Jo Nesbo. Very good with a shock twist at the end.

I see Martin Scorsese is set to direct a film version of The Snowman!

I finished the Phantom last night, excellent... check out Headhunters as well, also being made into a movie

ALso lads, my cousin had his first novel published, its actually very good

http://www.amazon.co.uk/After-Lockout-Darran-McCann/dp/0007429479/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333642772&sr=8-1

Just finished it, I enjoyed it. Very good for a first novel. Not very flattering about Derrynoose footballers though!

BenDover

Quote from: ziggy90 on April 20, 2012, 09:52:01 AM
Just finished a truly remarkable book " A Fine Balance" by Rohinton Mistry". It is a microcosm of Indian society in the 70,s. Don't let the subject matter put you off, it really is the most insightful look into the human spirit I have ever read.

Thanks to your recommendation I've just finished this ziggy and yes it was a very good read.

Canalman

Recently finished Alex Higgins' most recent biography. Good read about an absolutely despicable person. A selfish selfish person according to the book anyway.

ziggy90

Quote from: BenDover on June 13, 2012, 09:14:14 AM

Thanks to your recommendation I've just finished this ziggy and yes it was a very good read.

Your welcome B, there are some great  recommendations on this thread. I don't know who endorsed those Erast Fandorin books but I can't get enough of them. I'm on The Coronation now (I think it's no7 in the series) and can't put it down. Does anyone have the sequence for the rest of them after the Lovers of Death?

Billys Boots

Quote from: ziggy90 on June 13, 2012, 01:34:33 PM
Quote from: BenDover on June 13, 2012, 09:14:14 AM

Your welcome B, there are some great  recommendations on this thread. I don't know who endorsed those Erast Fandorin books but I can't get enough of them. I'm on The Coronation now (I think it's no7 in the series) and can't put it down. Does anyone have the sequence for the rest of them after the Lovers of Death?

Me, me, me (and Harold Disgracey).

There's a list in Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boris_Akunin
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

ziggy90

Oh, you again Billy, it's a good job they say opposites attract. :o Anyway thanks to yourself and the good Harold, if it wasn't for ye, I'd never have heard of these and would be a whole lot poorer for it.

Minder

Anyone read the Henning Menkel (Wallander) books? Finished the first one, Faceless Killers, and it was excellent.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Denn Forever

Quote from: Minder on June 13, 2012, 05:17:27 PM
Anyone read the Henning Menkel (Wallander) books? Finished the first one, Faceless Killers, and it was excellent.

Over to Billy there. 

They are all very good and I would also recommend that you check out Jo Nesbo and the Harry Hole books. 
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

maggie

Succumbed to the hype/peer pressure and read 50 Shades over the weekend. (Your wives and g/f's will know it.)

Am no doubt in the minority but I thought it was an absolute pile of dung.