All Ireland Football Final 2017 Mayo V Dublin

Started by never kickt a ball, August 27, 2017, 07:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Syferus on September 11, 2017, 08:19:34 PM
Quote from: highorlow on September 11, 2017, 07:40:04 PM
Some of David Drakes people are from Abbeylara. His aul lad, Noel, played for Longford.

Half the town on the N4 wishes team X well for a big game, though. It's nothing special, and a tiny bit desperate.

Almost as desperate as them knowing everything that goes on in the county when they're from a different county
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Owenmoresider

Quote from: seafoid on September 11, 2017, 03:39:11 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on September 11, 2017, 02:42:28 PM
Is invading a pitch an ideal?
It's emotion.

The ceremony now is the purest shite
The music is atrocious
Corporate blandness at the heart of Irish sporting emotion.
The history of insanity intruding on the sane
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f8JI9R5Suo

It is an abomination

the commercial director is a total flute
Yep, the way Croke Park has gone since 2009 is a terrible sight but not surprising when you consider where the GAA (or more accurately its top brass) have gone in the same time, and the same spivs playing a major part in both. I don't enjoy the whole "Croke Park experience" much any more, it's just soulless and mercenary nowadays, not to mention the tickertape and fireworks nonsense when Sam or Liam is presented, and as for the bloody music....the moment that enscapulated it for me was at the 2015 club finals (the one Corofin won anyway be it 14 or 15), when in the minute or so between the end of Amhran na bhFiann and the throw-in they insisted in blaring out some inane song, utter madness.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: yellowcard on September 11, 2017, 02:34:45 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 11, 2017, 01:13:02 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 11, 2017, 12:19:04 PM
How many peilople have been injured in a pitch invasion. Ever.

Probably fewer than the number of GAA players who have been paralysed after drinking  .
You arr missing the point.
Corporate GAA decided to ban pitch invasions because of the fear of litigation if someone sustained injuries while running onto the pitch and/or acting the buck eejit while on it. The hike in insurance premiums had to be taken into account also.
As I see it, you may sue or be sued in the event of injuries sustained during an invasion but the GAA can't be held responsible for whatever transpires if you lep the fence.

Name one, just one, incident of a GAA person suing after invading the pitch at an AI final.
Maybe there were a series of litigious claims that I'm not aware of but I severely doubt it, it's just pc nonsense. The reality is it's a shift further away from the ideals of the association and just imitates big business professional sport.
Ah now, don't shoot the messenger. I'm only passing on the message. ;D
As dublin 7 put it, it was an insurance/health & safety decision taken by the authorities to prevent injuries, I suppose, but also to avoid the danger of being sued for personal injuries and the likes.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

macdanger2

Quote from: Rossfan on September 11, 2017, 07:10:29 PM
Well done.
By the way what's with  Abbeylara GAA Club sticking Good luck Mayo signs along the N4 round Longford?

Noticed that alright on the way up last night, no end of signs and flags all the way through Longford, fair play to them.

Up the Larries

sid waddell

Quote from: yellowcard on September 11, 2017, 02:34:45 PM

Name one, just one, incident of a GAA person suing after invading the pitch at an AI final. Maybe there were a series of litigious claims that I'm not aware of but I severely doubt it, it's just pc nonsense. The reality is it's a shift further away from the ideals of the association and just imitates big business professional sport.
You've walked straight into the old Stewart Lee joke about people confusing political correctness with health and safety.

sid waddell

Quote from: Hound on September 11, 2017, 02:45:25 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on September 11, 2017, 02:12:45 PM

I agree with keeping the fans off the pitch. It gives the players the chance to enjoy the moment with their teammates. I know Bernard Brogan after the 2011 final said he enjoyed just sitting on the pitch with a few teammates and just soaking up the moment.
Yeah, I was very much against the banning of the pitch invasion to celebrate success. But I'm completely on the other side now. A proper lap of honour is far better. It allows the players to savour the victory and the fans to applaud and sing as they do so.
You just can't beat the age-old GAA traditions of gaudy gold tinsel dropping  limply from the roof of the Hogan Stand, The Script's "The World's Gonna Know Your Name" blasting out over the public address system 0.7 seconds after the final whistle, plastic orange wire mesh (blue this year, plus ca change) being held up by the stewards to prevent the savage masses from entering the playing area, and, most importantly, the traditional playing of "Tonight's Gonna Be A Good Night" by The Black Eyed Peas as the cup is lifted.

Truly, part of what we are.

Asal Mor

Quote from: longballin on September 10, 2017, 11:09:42 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on September 10, 2017, 11:04:22 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on September 10, 2017, 09:31:45 PM
Mayo by 2 followed by a huge pitch invasion! Should be some battle at HQ. Colm Boyle MotM and wins PotY!

If Mayo win it and DONT invade the pitch following an outpouring of emotion it will be a sad day for the GAA. Couldn't believe the sanity of the Galway fans in the hurling final.

The way the pitch is ringed by security and formation of seats is near impossible to invade. Was at the hurling final, was no doubt about the emotion of the Galway supporters...
Saw a few Galway fans trying to break through the ring of stewards who were holding up a makeshift fence and the few lads were aggressively pushed back. It would take a fairly serious effort to get on I think. The stewards were plentiful, organised and weren't messing. I agree that it's sad to see things being increasingly sanitised. The post match celebrations were obviously fantastic for the players but as a fan it personally felt a bit anti-climactic without the pitch invasion.

They should have played The west's awake by lumiere. I'd usually change the station if galway girl comes on. Galway girl x 2 was unnecessary though the drunken kids on the Hill seemed to enjoy it.

JoG2

Quote from: sid waddell on September 11, 2017, 11:26:25 PM
Quote from: Hound on September 11, 2017, 02:45:25 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on September 11, 2017, 02:12:45 PM

I agree with keeping the fans off the pitch. It gives the players the chance to enjoy the moment with their teammates. I know Bernard Brogan after the 2011 final said he enjoyed just sitting on the pitch with a few teammates and just soaking up the moment.
Yeah, I was very much against the banning of the pitch invasion to celebrate success. But I'm completely on the other side now. A proper lap of honour is far better. It allows the players to savour the victory and the fans to applaud and sing as they do so.
You just can't beat the age-old GAA traditions of gaudy gold tinsel dropping  limply from the roof of the Hogan Stand, The Script's "The World's Gonna Know Your Name" blasting out over the public address system 0.7 seconds after the final whistle, plastic orange wire mesh (blue this year, plus ca change) being held up by the stewards to prevent the savage masses from entering the Sky / Ticketmaster playing area, and, most importantly, the traditional playing of "Tonight's Gonna Be A Good Night" by The Black Eyed Peas as the cup is lifted.

Truly, part of what we are.

8)

rosnarun

Quote from: Asal Mor on September 11, 2017, 11:59:03 PM
Quote from: longballin on September 10, 2017, 11:09:42 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on September 10, 2017, 11:04:22 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on September 10, 2017, 09:31:45 PM
Mayo by 2 followed by a huge pitch invasion! Should be some battle at HQ. Colm Boyle MotM and wins PotY!

If Mayo win it and DONT invade the pitch following an outpouring of emotion it will be a sad day for the GAA. Couldn't believe the sanity of the Galway fans in the hurling final.

The way the pitch is ringed by security and formation of seats is near impossible to invade. Was at the hurling final, was no doubt about the emotion of the Galway supporters...
Saw a few Galway fans trying to break through the ring of stewards who were holding up a makeshift fence and the few lads were aggressively pushed back. It would take a fairly serious effort to get on I think. The stewards were plentiful, organised and weren't messing. I agree that it's sad to see things being increasingly sanitised. The post match celebrations were obviously fantastic for the players but as a fan it personally felt a bit anti-climactic without the pitch invasion.

They should have played The west's awake by lumiere. I'd usually change the station if galway girl comes on. Galway girl x 2 was unnecessary though the drunken kids on the Hill seemed to enjoy it.
but mayo have a secret weapon for getting onto the pitch
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Mayo4Sam

Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on September 12, 2017, 12:00:36 PM
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/jim-mcguinness-this-could-finally-be-mayo-s-time-1.3217332?mode=amp

Compare this to Brollys shite yesterday, night and day. Great read from McGuinness
McGuinness an intelligent observer with insightful views. Brolly attention seeker and a spoofer

NAG1

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on September 12, 2017, 12:00:36 PM
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/jim-mcguinness-this-could-finally-be-mayo-s-time-1.3217332?mode=amp

Compare this to Brollys shite yesterday, night and day. Great read from McGuinness

So by his reckoning even if everything goes right for Mayo and they get all the decisions and tactics right and if Dublin turn up and play well, its a Dublin win.

A Mayo win is dependent on them getting everything correct on the day and Dublin not getting their 'A' game going.

Hardly rocket science that analysis.

Esmarelda

Any link to Brolly's piece?

Remember, he told us that their All-Ireland dream was over before their first qualifier game.

TheOptimist

At the age of 31 I'm going to my first all Ireland on Sunday, cant wait. Made a pact after missing out on tickets in 02 that would only go to one if Derry were in final (minor or senior) and missed out because of work in 07.

I have watched the two finals last year again and the definite conclusion is that Dublin were lucky in both games. Mayo 100% have their number if they perform to the levels that they can. I think people are blinkered by the two in a row. As I said before the quarter finals Mayo are the only team who have put it up to Dublin in the last two years. At 5/2 they are great value.

Derry will be up against it in the Minors but they are a very well organised team with good players all over the park, a strong bench and a manager who is very good at managing a game. Hope they can stop Kerry this year and bring the Tom Markham cup home for the first time since 2002.

An interesting fact, as far as I am aware Ben McCarron on the Derry Minors is cousins with Conor Loftus, both grand children of former GAA president Mick Loftus. I'm open to correction there but pretty confident on that one.