USFC Final 2010, Clones, Sunday 18th July: Tír Eoghain vs Muineachán

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, June 20, 2010, 05:15:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longrunsthefox

If Fermanagh beat Monaghan you may give the Anglo-Celt Cup to Tyrone alright. If Monaghan get through it will not be a forgone conclusion.

FermGael

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Maguire01

Quote from: haranguerer on June 21, 2010, 01:14:14 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on June 20, 2010, 09:51:31 PM
It's funny how if you 'big up' the smaller teams before a game you're a 'cute hoor' or patronising, yet when someone says something like this they're condescending. You just can't win!

I'd have to agree with longrunsthefox. Fermanagh might beat Monaghan next week but I could definitely see Monaghan giving Tyrone a better run in the final than Fermanagh.

:D By virtue of what - your crystal ball?

When are Monaghan people going to realise they're no good? In this - their golden era, each year they'll have one decent win, 'put-it-up-to' a big team (by virtue of being dirty b**tards), still get beat, and believe that if they'd beat said team they'd also have beat every other team said team beat to win AI.

I love following Fermanagh, because any win they have is unexpected. Of course we get a little carried away, but nothing compared to the delusions a lot of monaghan ones seem to have. Mebbe theres something in those mushrooms...
Btw, the game v monaghan is exactly 50:50 imo.
By virtue of my own assessment of both teams. I didn't claim to be presenting fact.

And i'd prefer to be 'no good' in Division 1 than in Division 4. Monaghan might not have made the big breakthrough like Tyrone or Armagh, but any win is not "unexpected", as you claim it is when following Fermanagh. There's no harm in going out to win.

As for this being our 'golden era', that is generally accepted as the mid 80s with a modest 2 Ulsters, a National League and 5 All Stars. We're doing alright at the minute, but it's not quite 'golden'.

omagh_gael

Anyone any early thoughts on possible starting 15? I'd go for the following:

Packie
Carlin
Justy
Swift
Pete Harte
Gormley
Jordan
Sean Cav
Hub
Dooher
B Mc Guigan
Joey
Mugsy
SoN
Penrose

I think BMcG has to start and with it looking likely that SoN will be fine for the 18th then Colm Cav would be replaced by Sean. I can't see this happening and Colm has done nothing wrong but there's going to be a real dilema about fitting BMcG in (if he does indeed start) who do you drop/swap around?

haranguerer

Quote from: Maguire01 on June 21, 2010, 11:24:57 PM
It's funny how if you 'big up' the smaller teams before a game you're a 'cute hoor' or patronising, yet when someone says something like this they're condescending. You just can't win!

I'd have to agree with longrunsthefox. Fermanagh might beat Monaghan next week but I could definitely see Monaghan giving Tyrone a better run in the final than Fermanagh.

When are Monaghan people going to realise they're no good? In this - their golden era, each year they'll have one decent win, 'put-it-up-to' a big team (by virtue of being dirty b**tards), still get beat, and believe that if they'd beat said team they'd also have beat every other team said team beat to win AI.

I love following Fermanagh, because any win they have is unexpected. Of course we get a little carried away, but nothing compared to the delusions a lot of monaghan ones seem to have. Mebbe theres something in those mushrooms...
By virtue of my own assessment of both teams. I didn't claim to be presenting fact.

And i'd prefer to be 'no good' in Division 1 than in Division 4. Monaghan might not have made the big breakthrough like Tyrone or Armagh, but any win is not "unexpected", as you claim it is when following Fermanagh. There's no harm in going out to win.

As for this being our 'golden era', that is generally accepted as the mid 80s with a modest 2 Ulsters, a National League and 5 All Stars. We're doing alright at the minute, but it's not quite 'golden'.

5 allstars, really? Did anyone get one in two different positions?  ::) And yes, it is more than we have, and no, I dont care.
Silver era then. My issue with your assessment that Monaghan would put it up to Tyrone better than Fermanagh is that its hard to see what it is based on. If its your assessment of the two teams as you say, and who is better, then surely the winner of the match will decide that? Its laughable to hear the likes of yourself come out with patronising rubbish about 'Fermanagh always cause us trouble', etc, etc, and 'We havent made the big breakthrough like Tyrone or Armagh...' - because the fact is you havent made any kind of breakthrough. Yis havent even got to an AI semi-final in the last decade for gawds sake... :P

As for league, if we prevail on Sun, neither you nor I will give a flying f**k about our league position. Under Bantys rein, no county in Ireland has taken the National League more seriously than monaghan. Whenever Banty does leave (most likely at the end of this year) hes gonna leave an awful mess behind, because he certainly hasnt done enough to develop the team. Compare the monaghan and fermanagh teams that met two years ago - m'han is virtually the same, fermanagh is unrecognisable.

If monaghan win, I'll be supporting them against Tyrone in the final. You should remember though Maguire that yous aren't quite there yet.

Zapatista

Quote from: omagh_gael on June 22, 2010, 12:29:52 AM
Anyone any early thoughts on possible starting 15? I'd go for the following:

Packie
Carlin
Justy
Swift
Pete Harte
Gormley
Jordan
Sean Cav
Hub
Dooher
B Mc Guigan
Joey
Mugsy
SoN
Penrose

I think BMcG has to start and with it looking likely that SoN will be fine for the 18th then Colm Cav would be replaced by Sean. I can't see this happening and Colm has done nothing wrong but there's going to be a real dilema about fitting BMcG in (if he does indeed start) who do you drop/swap around?

I don't see the need for McGuigan to start. If O'Neill hadn't have went off I still think Tyrone would have beat Down. McGuigan could be brought on to replace anyone from Dooher to Pete Harte. He can be used for any number of reasons and it might be better to wait and see how the game is going and how all the players are playing before introducing him. THis way his talents will be used to their best.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: haranguerer on June 22, 2010, 07:07:50 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on June 21, 2010, 11:24:57 PM

5 allstars, really? Did anyone get one in two different positions?  ::) And yes, it is more than we have, and no, I dont care.
Silver era then. My issue with your assessment that Monaghan would put it up to Tyrone better than Fermanagh is that its hard to see what it is based on. If its your assessment of the two teams as you say, and who is better, then surely the winner of the match will decide that? Its laughable to hear the likes of yourself come out with patronising rubbish about 'Fermanagh always cause us trouble', etc, etc, and 'We havent made the big breakthrough like Tyrone or Armagh...' - because the fact is you havent made any kind of breakthrough. Yis havent even got to an AI semi-final in the last decade for gawds sake... :P

As for league, if we prevail on Sun, neither you nor I will give a flying f**k about our league position. Under Bantys rein, no county in Ireland has taken the National League more seriously than monaghan. Whenever Banty does leave (most likely at the end of this year) hes gonna leave an awful mess behind, because he certainly hasnt done enough to develop the team. Compare the monaghan and fermanagh teams that met two years ago - m'han is virtually the same, fermanagh is unrecognisable.

If monaghan win, I'll be supporting them against Tyrone in the final. You should remember though Maguire that yous aren't quite there yet.

One more post and you'll have made your eagerly awaited 1000 - congratulations in advance!  ::)

Mr. Nakata

I haven't had a chance to look at the game on tape yet, but I had my head in my hands on numerous occasions when red sean got his hands on the ball. I was one of the posters who thought he was unlucky not to get a start. I think his first 3 posessions ended in bad mistakes. At one stage he started soloing up the park only to be easily disposessed by 2 down men. This is something that happened regularly in the league and is painful viewing. Maybe I'm being harsh. I want a 2nd look.

Zapatista

Quote from: Mr. Nakata on June 22, 2010, 12:55:55 PM
I haven't had a chance to look at the game on tape yet, but I had my head in my hands on numerous occasions when red sean got his hands on the ball. I was one of the posters who thought he was unlucky not to get a start. I think his first 3 possessions ended in bad mistakes. At one stage he started soloing up the park only to be easily dispossessed by 2 down men. This is something that happened regularly in the league and is painful viewing. Maybe I'm being harsh. I want a 2nd look.

I was just watching the second half again and I think your being harsh. He had loads of possession which he distributed well. i think the only mistake was when he was dispossessed by the two Down men. He didn't get past the first challenge cleanly enough which allowed him to get caught by the second. It was happening Muligan and Dooher on a few occasions too. Overall he had a good game. He would have converted the 45 at the end too if McGuigan hadn't have made the mistake and kicked it the wrong way ;)

Fuzzman

Sounds like Stevie will be ok to play for the Clanns this Sat night in the championship v Killeshil.

Think it was just bruising on his heel from what I heard.

Presume the final will be in Clones then or is this not decided yet.
I deserve a day out on the beer so will need to find a driver.
Hmmmm.....

Any craic

http://www.tyronegaa.ie/ - Stevie played only the last ten for Clanns and didn't look happy. Dooher and Hub went head to head. This is a short video showing some of the action.

longrunsthefox

When are Monaghan people going to realise they're no good?
In this - their golden era, each year they'll have one decent win, 'put-it-up-to' a big team (by virtue of being dirty b**tards), still get beat, and believe that if they'd beat said team they'd also have beat every other team said team beat to win AI.

I won't say I told you so but  ;)

haranguerer

A broken clock is still right twice a day fox   ::)

Despite having mostly the same personnel (which influenced my reasoning), thats a different m'han team than those I've seen other years. Very strong, supremely fit, played a great running game, and missed nothing. Fair play to them. Hope they win it, they and the banty deserve it!

longrunsthefox

Quote from: haranguerer on June 27, 2010, 08:28:06 PM
A broken clock is still right twice a day fox   ::)

Despite having mostly the same personnel (which influenced my reasoning), thats a different m'han team than those I've seen other years. Very strong, supremely fit, played a great running game, and missed nothing. Fair play to them. Hope they win it, they and the banty deserve it!

I agree with you and as I said they will give Tyrone their fill of it. Could be quite a final.

Main Street

Quote from: longrunsthefox on June 28, 2010, 12:31:13 AM

I agree with you and as I said they will give Tyrone their fill of it. Could be quite a final.

Tyrone are already full of it  ;D