Sunday Sport Championship preview

Started by The Burner, May 12, 2013, 04:29:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Quote from: BluestackBoy on May 14, 2013, 11:05:34 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on May 13, 2013, 10:40:45 PM
Tommy Carr, that's the jennet that I heard saying that Donegal wouldn't win an All Ireland because they didn't have the spread of scoring forwards!!!. Was he in a coma for the last year or what? Pat Spillane made a lick of sense because he said Donegal won't really know if they are up for it until the need to dig deep in a championship match.

I switched off after Carr said that, and Kevin McStay said the whole thing was a waste of time because Donegal, Dublin and Mayo were all going for 3 in a row. (Not sure if he reckons they are all going to win their provinces or not). Seems to have forgotten that we've had 4 different All Ireland Winners in 4 years.

It says a lot when Spillane seemed to be the most considered of them.

Tommy Carr has form when it comes to Donegal. Listening to him during the Kildare league game he came out with the following gem. " we can safely dismiss Donegal this year because not alone do they have no attack but it looks like they have no defence either"

This is the same Tommy who came up behind Bryan Murray and took him out when Murray couldn't defend himself & the ball was far away in a League match in Croke Park many years ago.
How did Carr "take out" Murray?

AZOffaly

magpie seanie

Quote from: Crete Boom on May 14, 2013, 10:57:06 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on May 13, 2013, 11:28:54 AM
Quote from: Crete Boom on May 13, 2013, 12:20:03 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on May 12, 2013, 09:57:31 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on May 12, 2013, 09:43:12 PM
Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on May 12, 2013, 09:30:32 PM
Dont worry we have Eamon O Hara to save us all.....................

The RTE make up budget is going to skyrocket...

I'd love to see ya say that to his face.

Eamon O' Hara a poor man's Davy Brady on and off the field 8).

I'd have O'Hara any day over the other Sligo man.

I know we are only winding each other up but I have seen this said that DB is a Sligo man but what is his connection to Sligo?

Born and bred in Sligo (Castleconnor) from what I'm told.

As for Kilcullen and Costello - if Mayo wanted them they'd have them. That's the difference.

Crete Boom

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 14, 2013, 02:15:55 PM

I know we are only winding each other up but I have seen this said that DB is a Sligo man but what is his connection to Sligo?

As for Kilcullen and Costello - if Mayo wanted them they'd have them. That's the difference.

Well Seanie I would get on to whoever is supplying your info on DB and tell them go back and sit the pass leaving cert geography exam ;D.

All joking aside DB is born and bred Ballina or the Quay Ballina to be precise. His Dad is from Castleconnor and has a farm down there just inside the Sligo border I think though I am not 100% sure. Also before any Sligo men start claiming it's the Sligo blood in him that gave him his football nous his mother is a Timoney from Ballina , his grandfather being a former Stephenite legend (on and off the pitch).

Now I might have set you up a bit here Seanie (my apologies) but it's just I am from just outside the Quay village and I have heard from countless Sligo men in pubs down the years that we stole DB from them for the above reasons even though I live closer to the Sligo border than him and on the edge on the Castleconnor parish lines! Also a small part of Castleconnor is in Mayo anyway with former Mayo minor and current Connacht Captain Gavin Duffy house is in Farrangarode in the parish of Castleconnor. He only played for the Stephenites under the father rule and yes some Mayomen ( a couple of good friends of mine) played for Castleconnor having grown up in the parish. So myth busted as they say ;). By the way this not a personal shot at you Seanie I was just waiting for some one to bring this up after I posted the cheeky remark about O' Hara earlier ;D.

J70

Quote from: Hound on May 14, 2013, 12:19:01 PM
Quote from: BluestackBoy on May 14, 2013, 11:05:34 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on May 13, 2013, 10:40:45 PM
Tommy Carr, that's the jennet that I heard saying that Donegal wouldn't win an All Ireland because they didn't have the spread of scoring forwards!!!. Was he in a coma for the last year or what? Pat Spillane made a lick of sense because he said Donegal won't really know if they are up for it until the need to dig deep in a championship match.

I switched off after Carr said that, and Kevin McStay said the whole thing was a waste of time because Donegal, Dublin and Mayo were all going for 3 in a row. (Not sure if he reckons they are all going to win their provinces or not). Seems to have forgotten that we've had 4 different All Ireland Winners in 4 years.

It says a lot when Spillane seemed to be the most considered of them.

Tommy Carr has form when it comes to Donegal. Listening to him during the Kildare league game he came out with the following gem. " we can safely dismiss Donegal this year because not alone do they have no attack but it looks like they have no defence either"

This is the same Tommy who came up behind Bryan Murray and took him out when Murray couldn't defend himself & the ball was far away in a League match in Croke Park many years ago.
How did Carr "take out" Murray?

He walked up behind him and gave him a hefty kick in the legs. Got the line for it. After about 5 minutes. Dublin went on to win 0-10 to 0-6. League final replay.

Canalman

Come on J70.............. you would get half a dozen worse "hefty kicks" playing astro on a midweek night  with your mates.

J70

Quote from: Canalman on May 14, 2013, 03:46:07 PM
Come on J70.............. you would get half a dozen worse "hefty kicks" playing astro on a midweek night  with your mates.

Your mates blindside you with a boot up the hole or across the legs during five a side? :)

But yeah, I don't think the boot did much lasting damage to Murray.

Dinny Breen

Tommy Carr is an idiot. For an intelligent and articulate guy can never understand why his analysis is always based on perception and stereotype.
#newbridgeornowhere

magpie seanie

Quote from: Crete Boom on May 14, 2013, 02:40:49 PM

Well Seanie I would get on to whoever is supplying your info on DB and tell them go back and sit the pass leaving cert geography exam ;D.

All joking aside DB is born and bred Ballina or the Quay Ballina to be precise. His Dad is from Castleconnor and has a farm down there just inside the Sligo border I think though I am not 100% sure. Also before any Sligo men start claiming it's the Sligo blood in him that gave him his football nous his mother is a Timoney from Ballina , his grandfather being a former Stephenite legend (on and off the pitch).

Now I might have set you up a bit here Seanie (my apologies) but it's just I am from just outside the Quay village and I have heard from countless Sligo men in pubs down the years that we stole DB from them for the above reasons even though I live closer to the Sligo border than him and on the edge on the Castleconnor parish lines! Also a small part of Castleconnor is in Mayo anyway with former Mayo minor and current Connacht Captain Gavin Duffy house is in Farrangarode in the parish of Castleconnor. He only played for the Stephenites under the father rule and yes some Mayomen ( a couple of good friends of mine) played for Castleconnor having grown up in the parish. So myth busted as they say ;). By the way this not a personal shot at you Seanie I was just waiting for some one to bring this up after I posted the cheeky remark about O' Hara earlier ;D.

I think we had this argument before. My friends in Castleconnor swear otherwise but there you go.

We could be here 'til kingdom come on this one. There are so many things accepted as fact that aren't actually fact (e.g. "the father rule" - never heard of it, definitely not in the rule book, probably doesn't exist) and in my experience anything to do with boundaries and eligibility is decided by who has the most pull.

Crete Boom

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 14, 2013, 04:03:39 PM
Tommy Carr is an idiot. For an intelligent and articulate guy can never understand why his analysis is always based on perception and stereotype.

Maybe he just wants to fit in with the other geniuses in RTE where the soundbite is king an independent thinking can get you into a world of trouble and should be left to the faceless devil that is internet discussion boards! ;)

magpie seanie

Quote from: Crete Boom on May 14, 2013, 04:08:36 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 14, 2013, 04:03:39 PM

Maybe he just wants to fit in with the other geniuses in RTE where the soundbite is king an independent thinking can get you into a world of trouble and should be left to the faceless devil that is internet discussion boards! ;)

I agree and it's not just on The Sunday Game.

AZOffaly

Dinny, did you just call Tommy Carr an intelligent, articulate idiot?

Dinny Breen

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 14, 2013, 04:14:48 PM

Yes Tommy Carr is an Oxymoron!!!
#newbridgeornowhere

Crete Boom

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 14, 2013, 04:06:06 PM
Quote from: Crete Boom on May 14, 2013, 02:40:49 PM

I think we had this argument before. My friends in Castleconnor swear otherwise but there you go.

We could be here 'til kingdom come on this one. There are so many things accepted as fact that aren't actually fact (e.g. "the father rule" - never heard of it, definitely not in the rule book, probably doesn't exist) and in my experience anything to do with boundaries and eligibility is decided by who has the most pull.

;D ;D Ha ha you probably had this agrument before but not with me Seanie and if you want to pm me I would probably know your friends in Castleconnor. If you grow up in the Quay village you have the choice of playing for Ardnaree or the Stephenites and it generally depends on who your family played for that determins where you go. Then if you head along the coast road about a quarter of a mile towards Enniscrone you hit the Castleconnor parish in the townland of Farrangarode which borders the town land of Rathmeel where I live. Gavin Duffy grew up in Farrangarode about a half mile from the quay village. DB being in the Quay village which is in the townland of Rathmeel of the Kilmoremoy parish which is in Co Mayo. Here is a good link explaining the complexities of it all , http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~irlsli/baronytireragh2.html .

As regard the father rule as it was known and I was led to believe, it was that if your father had a place of business in a parish of a certain club you could choose to play for that club. Now you could very well be right about it not being in the rule book (as it does to me sound Fairly dubious).Also the Stephenites would certainly have more pull than Castleconnor and with Gavin Duffys house being in Co Mayo anyway maybe the Sligo Co board wouldn't have much interest in the Mayo Castleconnor boys anyway.

Crete Boom

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 14, 2013, 04:21:42 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on May 14, 2013, 04:14:48 PM

Yes Tommy Carr is an Oxymoron!!!

The funny thing is Dinny that is probably the nicest thing you are anyone else could honestly say about Tommy Carr ;D