Dog Fighting on BBC Panorama tonight

Started by Bensars, August 30, 2007, 09:22:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bensars

Just seen the preview and heard on the radio this morning about the panorama programme to be broadcast tonight on the Dog fighting.

"The farmer Boys" from Northern Ireland are being compared to the Man Utd of the dog fighting world. It also says that they will reveal that an unnamed intercounty footballer  ;) previously charged in a "loose" connection with dogfighting, had much more involvement than previously thought.  (BBC's allegation not mine).

Totally barbaric bad bastards IMO, and if proven to be true all should be prosecuted to the max ( or reprosecuted).

Armagh4SamAgain

'We just go out to play our football and let the critics say what they want. They usually do anyway"

Bensars

Quote from: Armagh4SamAgain on August 30, 2007, 09:24:18 AM
The Tyrone boys will go mad for that!!

Not at all.  On the radio they were saying that the ring is centred in armagh.  It should be an interesting ( if not sickening) show.

ziggysego

Quote from: Armagh4SamAgain on August 30, 2007, 09:24:18 AM
The Tyrone boys will go mad for that!!

If the allegations are true, then of course I'll be mad. Tyrone player or not, he should feel the full force of the law. This is a sickening "hobby" and should be stamped out immediately. The Tyrone player (and we all know who) should be made an example of.
Testing Accessibility

EC Unique

The Dungannon lad will be barking mad about this  ;D:D :D :D  These cruel bastards should do time for this type of shit >:( >:(

the milkman

Yeah these guys are scum! hope that Tyrone p***k goes down for this!

ziggysego

Quote from: 5iveTimes on August 30, 2007, 09:53:11 AM
Did anyone really think he was as "innocent" as he was made out to be in the last case?

Nope!
Testing Accessibility

Bensars

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 30, 2007, 09:01:26 AM
GAA star 'dog fight ringleader'
A Tyrone GAA star is a major figure in the illegal world of dog fighting, a BBC Spotlight investigation has found.
Gerard Cavlan, an all-Ireland medal winner, is a senior figure in a County Armagh dog fighting operation known as The Bulldog Sanctuary Kennels.
The 17-month investigation, led by reporter Mandy McAuley, uncovered 15 illegal dog fighting gangs in NI.
Earlier this year, Cavlan was convicted of possessing a dangerous dog and fined £650.
In April, his solicitor told Dungannon Magistrates Court that Cavlan had merely collected the dog from kennels for a Dublin man and was not involved in any other illegal activities.
However, with the aid of a trained undercover operative and secret filming, the Spotlight team discovered that this was not true.
During secret filming, after being raided by the USPCA, Cavlan admitted to Spotlight that he still had "a dozen or 15 dogs".
He also talked about the strength and skill of a pit bull terrier in a fight.
"Sure he had him in the chest, and he shook him and he shook him for 25 minutes... if he hadn't got you killed in half an hour... he was in trouble, you know. A real hard mouthed dog," he said.
Five of the 15 gangs found to be operating in Northern Ireland are based in Belfast and some of these groups have links to international dog fighting organisations.
One of the gangs, the Tandragee based Farmers Boys, was infiltrated by Spotlight.
The Farmers Boys are involved in dog fighting matches both in Northern Ireland and internationally.
After being taken into the inner circle of group, Spotlight's undercover operator was permitted access to a dog fight in Tandragee.
He said the scenes he saw during a fight were horrific.
"The most shocking thing was seeing the dogs being ripped apart and being covered in puncture wounds with gristle coming out of it and bites down to the bone where you could see the white of the bone underneath," he said.
"You could hear the skin and flesh tearing as every wound was inflicted."

The investigation also led the Spotlight team to Finland where it uncovered an international dog fighting ring and discovered how illegal pit bulls are transported from Europe into Northern Ireland.
It also uncovered how the dogs were trained and are forced into practice fights or "rolls" from as young as 10-months-old.
While in Finland, the Spotlight team won the trust of leading pit bull breeder Robert Gonzales who explained how easily pit bulls could be exported into Northern Ireland.
When asked if he registered a dog being exported out of the country as a pit bull on its animal passport, Gonzales explained that he tricked customs officials by marking it as a mixed breed.
"I've imported a lot of dogs so I know how to fool, fool the customs... all you need is a computer and a printer," he said.
The USPCA will be following up on Spotlight's findings.
Spotlight special: The Pit Bull Sting, BBC Northern Ireland, BBC ONE NI, 30 August at 2100 BST.

Sorry lads hadnt seen the topic on the gaa discussion before starting the topic.

Doesnt matter where they are from and as you can see  there is no sympathy from a few ( if not most) Tyrone supporters

GweylTah

Typical of the BBC to try to do-down the GAA and Gaels with this sort of sensationalist, tabloid shite.

Bensars

Quote from: GweylTah on August 30, 2007, 09:58:10 AM
Typical of the BBC to try to do-down the GAA and Gaels with this sort of sensationalist, tabloid shite.

The topic of discussion is that of dogfighting not the GAA.  Please do not try and steer another topic of in the direction of Catholic vs Protestant or GAA vs  Soccer.

magpie seanie

Gweyltah - you make our beloved Fearon look good and that takes a lot of doing. Grow up.

thefamineisover

last 2 stories I have seen on the BBC about the GAA.  Over the last 3 days were:
1) Sectarian abuse hurler returns to GAA
2) Talented GAA players leaving in their droves to go to Australian rules.
3) Presume Cavlan will make TV tonight
Not one mention of the AI hurling final teams but plenty of Rangers on the field coverage.
Fox news is very much alive and in our country, not any wonder Gweltah etc cant have a good word to say about the GAA. Objective and fair - my arse.

GweylTah

Quote from: thefamineisover on August 30, 2007, 10:04:22 AM
last 2 stories I have seen on the BBC about the GAA.  Over the last 3 days were:
1) Sectarian abuse hurler returns to GAA
2) Talented GAA players leaving in their droves to go to Australian rules.
3) Presume Cavlan will make TV tonight
Not one mention of the AI hurling final teams but plenty of Rangers on the field coverage.
Fox news is very much alive and in our country, not any wonder Gweltah etc cant have a good word to say about the GAA. Objective and fair - my arse.

Hear, hear - nothing wrong with shooting the messenger when the message is against Gaels.

southdown

Nothing suprises me at all these days with the BBC. The last straw was them scrapping the Championshio programme.  Jerome, have a word!

thefamineisover

I think its important that we recognise the BBC for what it really is the media instrument of the British empire.  If it takes its brief from that state and its turbulent history then by its very nature it will suppress other nations news cultures and sports and dripfeed back to us their edited take on them all.  Theres nothing new or newsworthy to this but just dont expect more from an alien states propoganda medium than that.  They are entitled to do it, they pay for it.  Gweltah is an Irish person born and bred on Irish land with Irish ancestry but obviously believes in the British way of life, I find that charming and artificial but unfortunately he/she is not as British as Finchley - he she is as Irish as Paul Mc Grath, Liam Neeson, Gerry Adams or Gay Byrne.  Some people need their TV channels to reassure them - others can separate the myth form reality or at least try to.