Dog Fighting on BBC Panorama tonight

Started by Bensars, August 30, 2007, 09:22:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

Dog Fighting is quite simply cruelty (not too mention the danger one of these dogs represent to the genral public if they escape their leash etc) to animals, for profit. It takes a particulalr form of low life to engage in this activity, then to lie openly about his involvement. In my view these people bring the GAA into disrepute and leave it open to attack by people who just need any excuse

Then again I saw a convicted paedophile walk nonchalantly into the stand at the Ulster SFC Semi Final this year and there were people falling over themselves to shake his hand, like he was some sort of long lost friend :(

snatter

Quote from: T Fearon on August 30, 2007, 12:57:00 PM
Dog Fighting is quite simply cruelty (not too mention the danger one of these dogs represent to the genral public if they escape their leash etc) to animals, for profit. It takes a particulalr form of low life to engage in this activity, then to lie openly about his involvement. In my view these people bring the GAA into disrepute and leave it open to attack by people who just need any excuse

Then again I saw a convicted paedophile walk nonchalantly into the stand at the Ulster SFC Semi Final this year and there were people falling over themselves to shake his hand, like he was some sort of long lost friend :(

I'm sorry, but WTF has this got to do with the GAA?

ABSOLUTELY SWEET FA.

Its not a matter that the GAA can legislate for, take action against.
The GAA administers gaelic games, not animal anti-cruelty legislation.

GAA players are amateur, and consequently are in no way contractually obliged to the GAA to behave in any manner.
Its not like the English premiership where players are employees, and by extension, de facto representatives of a commercial company.

This is simply a criminal matter, the comment on which should be confined to the (alleged) offence involved.
It has nothin to do with the GAA.

Serial anti-GAA bashers (you know who you are) take note.
Similarly, the BBC have every right to report on this mans actions, but the extent and prominence of reporting should be restricted to his offence, not to his GAA involvement.

Imho, the BBC NI news website hasn't been entirely fair to the GAA over the last couple of months.

Re the GAA's choice of the Maze -
Their story was headlined as "GAA boycotts Belfast" or something similar. But the real story was initially that BOTH the IFA and GAA preferred the Maze.
A day later, the IFA backpedalled a bit, issuing a statement to clarify their position. This was carried on the BBC NI news site.
On the same day, a similar statement of clarification from Danny Murphy was published in the IN. It emphassised that the GAA had boycotted nowhere, and had merely selected its preferred site.
Interestingly the BBC Ni site just ignored it, continuing to carry their unaltered story from the previous day.

Re the Darren Graham affair.
1. Fermanagh initially said that they would need a formal complaint before investigation could start. The BBC reported this. Then on Talkbalk the following day, the Fermanagh PRO said that they would investigate regardless.
Again, BBC NI never carried this, and still published for another day or so that Fermangh GAA wouldn't investigate until a formal complaint was made. Other sites (sluggerotoole) picked up on the changed stance straight away.
2. Linfields allegations of sectarianism at Ballymena weren't given anywhere near the same level of prominence.

Its hard to know if this is just sloppy work or some malign influence, but either way the editors of the BBC NI website need to be made aware of the importance of providing accurate and fair reporting.

tyroneboi

First things first - dog fighting of any variety is a disgusting act and shouldnt be tolerated whether it be a GAA player from Tyrone (if guilty) or if he comes from Timbucktu!!

However i think this is no more than sensationalist journalism from the BBC. Not as of they don't have a history of it. Remember a year or so ago they ran the program about the football agents and bungs. There was sweet FA in that investigation and an hour and a half before Spotlight goes out tonight im guessing it will be more of the same.

At the end of the day it is innocent before being proven guilty. And it isnt up to the BBC to be judge, jury and executioner which they clearly want to be.

The Iceman

Michael Vick is signing for Tyrone I hear
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Solomon Kane

A high profile American footballer was caught at the same shite a few months ago. I hope both these bastards are put away and every last day of their prison sentence is as miserable as is humanly possible. Getting the shit kicked out of them for the amusement of others would be a start.

el_cuervo_fc

A pure cringefest last night.  you could just imagine those involved watching it, squirming round the tv.

Definitely caught well but i couldn't help but feel the BBC set him up brutally.

Gnevin

Quote from: el_cuervo_fc on August 31, 2007, 08:04:09 AM
A pure cringefest last night.  you could just imagine those involved watching it, squirming round the tv.

Definitely caught well but i couldn't help but feel the BBC set him up brutally.
Only caught 3/4 of it but how did the BBC set him up, he was neck deep in this shit .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Abble

BBC have went for cavlan and these tandragee boys full tilt.... but sure what other way could they do it. they needed to get the point across about what exactly is going on and to cut a long story short it aint a sport, its pure savagery.

ok, i would say he's not one of the major players, but he aint far from it, look at the travelling he's been doing to other dog rings in finland and europe etc....plus his involvement in the moving around of these dogs. he is working alongside some shady characters.

he's freeged.

(what the hell was he thinking when looking into the army barracks with binoculars thinking a few boys could get cannonball out of there!?!! )

el_cuervo_fc

Quote from: Abble on August 31, 2007, 08:31:08 AM

(what the hell was he thinking when looking into the army barracks with binoculars thinking a few boys could get cannonball out of there!?!! )

This part of the show was completely hilarious.  I couldn't believe he was standing on the bank staking out an army barracks  :D

The setting up part i was talking about was them telling him they could get the dog out.  I'm not saying they were wrong to do it, It made for some great TV.

longball

forget jail and fines etc Calvo should be fearing for his life  :o :o most of the evidence was found in his house which im sure the other dog fighters wont be happy about!!!! most of them linked to the UVF!
Spotted any unladylike behaviour report within:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13209.0

Declan

Disgusting stuff altogether. Takes a particularly sick type of person who could have any involvement in this stuff

tintin25

As a matter of interest.....what happened to Nipper??  :-\

dubinhell

Quote from: tintin25 on August 31, 2007, 10:02:53 AM

At the end they said they brought him back to the Republic.....i think Pillar going to fit him with a blue jersey and have him ready for Paul Galvin next year.........he wouldn't head butt the Nipper  ;D

EC Unique

Quote from: dubinhell on August 31, 2007, 11:31:32 AM
Quote from: tintin25 on August 31, 2007, 10:02:53 AM

At the end they said they brought him back to the Republic.....i think Pillar going to fit him with a blue jersey and have him ready for Paul Galvin next year.........he wouldn't head butt the Nipper  ;D

Nipper is better looking as well  :D :D :D

Jim_Murphy_74

In fairness isn't greyhound racing is one of the competing sports that are not allowed on GAA grounds?

This shows that the Gerald Cavlan incident is just reflecting the inherent "anti-dog" ethos within the GAA.

Someone had better start a thread on OWC fairly rapid.

/Jim.