NFL Div. 4

Started by AZOffaly, January 25, 2008, 03:46:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mannix

Congratulations on a fine league to tipperary.
Any chance of coaxing declan browne out for another year or two to compliment grogan?
Also happy to see waterford stirring out after so long a sleep.Maybe Tipp will give the big 2 a game of it in the championship.
The main thing to remember is that it was  a longshot for the promotion,but they played hard and well to win just in case,well done again.

Gold

Fair play to Tipp, especially  given that young fell passed away. Fair play.

As for Antrim--just think if we had of held on against Offaly we would be promoted--bad times
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

AZOffaly

I can't believe that. That's twice now Waterford have gotten great results against promotion chasing ulster teams after their unlikely win against Cavan a couple of years ago. Antrim really will have to be kicking themselves, but fair play to Tipperary, they hung in there, they beat Antrim, and they deserve to go up as the results panned out. Credit to Onlooker who kept the faith here when everyone, myself included, were more or less assuming it would be Offaly and Antrim.

Puts a whole new spin on the League Final now, and I assume it will be in Portlaoise, maybe as a double header with the Dublin Westmeath game?

Well done to Offaly, and Tipp, in getting out of the basement. Hopefully they will both legitimise it by having decent summers.

Hound

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 21, 2008, 10:05:00 AM
Puts a whole new spin on the League Final now, and I assume it will be in Portlaoise, maybe as a double header with the Dublin Westmeath game?
With all the loyal Munster fans in Tipp (and Offaly  ::) ), that game will be on Saturday - probably as a double bill with Div 1

AZOffaly

True Hound. Forgot about that clash. Kerry Derry, Offaly Tipperary. Would that be Portlaoise as well?  Dublin Westmeath would then be where? Portlaoise on Sunday?

Lone Shark

I would assume Dublin vs Westmeath would double up with Fermanagh vs Wexford in Navan. It would be the obvious venue for that anyway.

I was half hoping they play our fixture alongside the minor footballers in Carlow. God knows Derry and Kerry would be a lot better advised to toss for home advantage in my opinion. A Saturday night in either Celtic Park or Austin Stack park would get 8,000 - this will barely get 3,000 from those two counties, and we'll be feck all better.

AZOffaly

Will Dublin and Westmeath not fill Navan itself? I'd have thought Potlaoise would be better for that. Surely the Dubs will bring a good crowd, and Westmeath will now too.

Onlooker

Quote from: Hound on April 21, 2008, 10:16:44 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on April 21, 2008, 10:05:00 AM
With all the loyal Munster fans in Tipp (and Offaly  ::) ), that game will be on Saturday - probably as a double bill with Div 1
There are a good few Munster fans in Tipperary all right, but very few of them would have ever seen the Tipperary footballers play, and I do not think that the rugby match would make any difference to the number of Tipp fans that would attend the League Final.  The real prize in Div. 4 was promotion to Div. 3 and the right to play in the qualifiers.  Thankfully, both Tipp and Offaly have achieved their goal in this year's NFL.

Lone Shark

Possibly - is Navan's capacity not more or less the same as that of Portlaoise though? I always thought it was much of a muchness. I'm very much open to correction on that.

I can't imagine that Wexford vs Fermanagh would bring much by way of extras - again it's a long spin for either of those teams no matter where you put that game.

AZOffaly

Maybe it is. I always assumed Portlaoise was bigger, maybe it's because of the more completed look, with proper terraces all around. Anyone know the relative capacities?

Lone Shark

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 21, 2008, 11:01:19 AM
....... the more completed look, with proper terraces all around............

Grass is a terrace. Let's not reopen that can of worms.  :P

stevecw

Final is in Portlaoise on Sunday at 2.
Well done to Tipp on getting to this final. Can't believe Antrim messed up like they did. I wasn't impressed with them the day we played them in Belfast, but then again even our joke of a team managed to beat Tipp a few weeks ago. The best team in Div 4 apart from Offaly that i've seen was Waterford. They came to Carlow, beat us fairly by 7 pts, a big strong side, well able to kick points. To me they looked a better team than Antrim, but to be honest Tipp looked worse than both..but fair play to them they end up getting the results & promotion.
To sum up the standard in Division 4 is very poor and the bottom two apart, it is also very even. Results are all over the place, Tipp get promoted but in doing so lose to Carlow, Clare lose to nearly everyone but still beat Offaly, Antrim lose to Waterford and Tipp but yet draw with Offaly etc etc. At least next year no matter how we all do in the bottom div, we get a crack at qualifiers in summer 2009, the way it shud be.