TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

A lot of cutting away in the last few episodes, trying to draw out anticipation.  The whole focus on Davidson last night, pushing for her to identify who she believed was her father along with the Kate/Ryan stand-off that was never shown.  I assume that we got the answer to who Davidsons father was in the subsequent scene, but why did they not show the shoot out? 

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

TwoUpTwoDown

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 03, 2021, 04:11:35 PM
A lot of cutting away in the last few episodes, trying to draw out anticipation.  The whole focus on Davidson last night, pushing for her to identify who she believed was her father along with the Kate/Ryan stand-off that was never shown.  I assume that we got the answer to who Davidsons father was in the subsequent scene, but why did they not show the shoot out? 

I thought the same. It almost felt like they were filmed post Covid outbreak and they were fighting restrictions and maybe in a race against the clock.

It was an adequate finale, but you can understand the annoyance on Twitter.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: charlieTully on May 03, 2021, 12:24:05 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on May 03, 2021, 09:32:36 AM
I've been rewatching The Sopranos from the start, in S3 atm. Can't believe well it has stood up, it is still real top drawer stuff, plus its been that long since I watched it it's like a new show again.

Best show ever made. Rewatching GOT with the Mrs as she didn't bother first time round. Binge worthy second time round too. Breaking bad was actually better second time round. Sopranos number 1 though.
I'd go along with that. I really loved The Wire and Breaking Bad and would have put them in the same bracket as The Sopranos just after watching them. As time has passed I think it's The Sopranos on its own then, followed by The West Wing, Breaking Bad, The Wire, The Detectorists, then the rest.

nrico2006

Black Mirror is very under-rated.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

JimStynes

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 03, 2021, 07:19:21 PM
Quote from: charlieTully on May 03, 2021, 12:24:05 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on May 03, 2021, 09:32:36 AM
I've been rewatching The Sopranos from the start, in S3 atm. Can't believe well it has stood up, it is still real top drawer stuff, plus its been that long since I watched it it's like a new show again.

Best show ever made. Rewatching GOT with the Mrs as she didn't bother first time round. Binge worthy second time round too. Breaking bad was actually better second time round. Sopranos number 1 though.
I'd go along with that. I really loved The Wire and Breaking Bad and would have put them in the same bracket as The Sopranos just after watching them. As time has passed I think it's The Sopranos on its own then, followed by The West Wing, Breaking Bad, The Wire, The Detectorists, then the rest.

I love The Wire, Sopranos and The Shield. But I think Gomorrah is out on it's own as the best show ever. The last season coming out this year too.

imtommygunn

There's more gomorrah?? Good shout on it. I still haven't watched the Ciro film.

Only just started the shield.

JimStynes

Yeah they've filmed the final series.

bennydorano

See there's a Sopranos prequel due out in September- The many saints of Newark. Bonus

Tony Baloney

Quote from: bennydorano on May 03, 2021, 11:51:38 PM
See there's a Sopranos prequel due out in September- The many saints of Newark. Bonus
Aye T's son in real life is playing his character.

johnnycool

Quote from: thewobbler on May 03, 2021, 02:14:20 PM
I couldn't have 24 at all.

I've very little time for cop shows where the protagonist(s) continually find themselves alone in dark, suspicious places with no phone coverage. I just can't suspend my disbelief for that.

Are you not from Ballyholland?  ;D

tbrick18

I've never watched Sopranos or gomorrah.
Think I've only ever seen series 1&2 of the wire...must pick it up again.

I thought LOD finale was grand....i didn't get all the overall hype in general about LOD. It was good, but not what everyone was raving about.

Just recently started Black Mirror, think i'm somewhere in the middle of series 2.
It is very good.

J70

Good shout on The Wire. I also only watched the first two seasons (the missus wasn't pushed about it, so it doesn't leave me much opportunity!).

I read that season 2 (the Polish dockworkers season) was probably the most poorly rated, and I thought that was excellent. So definitely must try to find some time.

trueblue1234

We are late comers to a lot of these series. But watched the wire from start to finish a few months ago. Thought it was excellent. Wife enjoyed it too.
Plodded through GoT's there on my own and thought it was fantastic up til the end. But I'd already received the heads up on that so expectations were low.
Just started LoD. Still on first series and seems to be good. But can't really avoid all the negative comments about the last episode. So now wondering if I should bother?
Sopranos next on the list.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

gallsman

Quote from: J70 on May 04, 2021, 02:33:51 PM
Good shout on The Wire. I also only watched the first two seasons (the missus wasn't pushed about it, so it doesn't leave me much opportunity!).

Throw her in the bin.

Quote from: J70 on May 04, 2021, 02:33:51 PM
I read that season 2 (the Polish dockworkers season) was probably the most poorly rated, and I thought that was excellent. So definitely must try to find some time.

Season 2 is outstanding and the importance of it and its place in the story only really comes out late in season 4 and then season 5. It was so radically different to season 1 that people thought it was poor in comparison.

johnnycool

Quote from: trueblue1234 on May 04, 2021, 02:38:23 PM
We are late comers to a lot of these series. But watched the wire from start to finish a few months ago. Thought it was excellent. Wife enjoyed it too.
Plodded through GoT's there on my own and thought it was fantastic up til the end. But I'd already received the heads up on that so expectations were low.
Just started LoD. Still on first series and seems to be good. But can't really avoid all the negative comments about the last episode. So now wondering if I should bother?
Sopranos next on the list.

LoD I think will go another season. IMO the lad pinned as "H" or the fourth man was taking the fall for the real head honcho in the hope of getting a deal but that was scuppered by AC-12, the bolloxes.