car help

Started by noeldebrun, April 02, 2009, 07:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noeldebrun

in a moment of forgetfulness i managed to put water for the windscreen in where the engine oil should go, now using a syringe i've managed to drain most of the water out, but could any mechanics out there tell me if it will cost any lasting damage to the engine

The Watcher Pat

I would have the oil drained and fill it with new oil just to make sure you get all the water out.

As far as i know there's a valve at the underneath to drain your oil.
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

muppet

Quote from: The Watcher Pat on April 02, 2009, 07:16:52 PM
I would have the oil drained and fill it with new oil just to make sure you get all the water out.

As far as i know there's a valve at the underneath to drain your oil.

how to change your oil.
MWWSI 2017

Hardy

I like it. "The oil is the most important part of changing the oil in a car".

mylestheslasher

Oil is very important especially in some of the high end cars like BMW. I'd change the oil just in case.

muppet

Quote from: mylestheslasher on April 02, 2009, 07:36:55 PM
Oil is very important especially in some of the high end cars like BMW. I'd change the oil just in case.

If it's a high end car and you are a man who just put water in the oil I'd pay a mech. Seriously like.
MWWSI 2017

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: noeldebrun on April 02, 2009, 07:01:28 PM
in a moment of forgetfulness i managed to put water for the windscreen in where the engine oil should go, now using a syringe i've managed to drain most of the water out, but could any mechanics out there tell me if it will cost any lasting damage to the engine

:D :D

Gave me a good laugh..
I think you have nothing to worry about to be honest,if as you say you got all the water out I don't think it will be a problem.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Real Laoislad

Oh btw is it a Diesel car or a petrol?
If its Diesel you'll definatly be ok,I have seen lads take power washers to Diesel car engines to clean them and they drive away no bother afterwards
You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: noeldebrun on April 02, 2009, 07:58:45 PM
it's a diesel 2.0 litre vectra, rang a friend of my oul boy who's a mechanic and he said it was alright, only noticed it this evening, had poured the water in yesterday

Aye thought so...
Your Dad's a mechanic and you put water in the oil tank  :D
I'm sure he's proud of you!

You'll Never Walk Alone.

gawa316

I am driving a freelander at the minute and most of the time when I accelerate it kind of shudders or stutters.

Any of the mechanical minded out there know what the problem would be?

Tyrones own

Quote from: gawa316 on April 30, 2009, 05:24:47 PM
I am driving a freelander at the minute and most of the time when I accelerate it kind of shudders or stutters.

Petrol or diesel?..."check engine" light on?
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

stpauls

if it is a petrol engine, you could have a problem with a battery pack which powers the spark plugs.
i had a similar problem last summer with little to no acceleration, and the engine management light coming on.

gawa316

Quote from: stpauls on April 30, 2009, 05:53:48 PM

if it is a petrol engine, you could have a problem with a battery pack which powers the spark plugs.
i had a similar problem last summer with little to no acceleration, and the engine management light coming on.

It's a petrol. Yeah there is definitely something up with the battery. On a few occassions there isn't a click out of her when I turn the key. Then suddenly it works. Will a new battery sort it out or will  need to clean/ change the spark plugs?

she is also overheating on some ocassions. Do I need to drain her and fill it up with fresh water and coolant?

muppet

Quote from: gawa316 on April 30, 2009, 05:59:54 PM
Quote from: stpauls on April 30, 2009, 05:53:48 PM

It's a petrol. Yeah there is definitely something up with the battery. On a few occassions there isn't a click out of her when I turn the key. Then suddenly it works. Will a new battery sort it out or will  need to clean/ change the spark plugs?

she is also overheating on some ocassions. Do I need to drain her and fill it up with fresh water and coolant?

You shouldn't have let her pick it.

MWWSI 2017

tyrone girl

Mines been the same recently, seems to stutter and shudder any time i try to pick up speed and then its been overheating a lot too , the temp hand rising far too quickly and its been checked for water and plenty in it. There been couple of occasions i have came out of work to start it and it wont even kick , have had to get jump leads. Keep sayin im gona go get it seen to but im a disaster keep putting it off.
Ah well im changin it in summer so hopefully it gets me about til then