car help

Started by noeldebrun, April 02, 2009, 07:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mournerambler

Have a petrol Freelander myself which seems to miss occassionally but only since I got it serviced ???
On the over heating issue Freelanders are notorious for doing the cylinder head gasket i'm told but thankfully I havn't had this problem

stpauls

Quote from: gawa316 on April 30, 2009, 05:59:54 PM
Quote from: stpauls on April 30, 2009, 05:53:48 PM
Quote from: gawa316 on April 30, 2009, 05:24:47 PM
I am driving a freelander at the minute and most of the time when I accelerate it kind of shudders or stutters.

Any of the mechanical minded out there know what the problem would be?

if it is a petrol engine, you could have a problem with a battery pack which powers the spark plugs.
i had a similar problem last summer with little to no acceleration, and the engine management light coming on.

It's a petrol. Yeah there is definitely something up with the battery. On a few occassions there isn't a click out of her when I turn the key. Then suddenly it works. Will a new battery sort it out or will  need to clean/ change the spark plugs?

she is also overheating on some ocassions. Do I need to drain her and fill it up with fresh water and coolant?

sorry gawa, i meant the starter pack, not the battery pack. get the starter pack changed and you should see an improvement.

maddog

I am driving a freelander at the minute and most of the time when I accelerate it kind of shudders or stutters.

Could be the clutch starting to go. I had an aul diesel golf and the first sign clutch was going was when you went to start moving it would jig and shudder.

take_yer_points

Quote from: stpauls on May 01, 2009, 09:12:44 AM
Quote from: gawa316 on April 30, 2009, 05:59:54 PM
Quote from: stpauls on April 30, 2009, 05:53:48 PM

if it is a petrol engine, you could have a problem with a battery pack which powers the spark plugs.
i had a similar problem last summer with little to no acceleration, and the engine management light coming on.

It's a petrol. Yeah there is definitely something up with the battery. On a few occassions there isn't a click out of her when I turn the key. Then suddenly it works. Will a new battery sort it out or will  need to clean/ change the spark plugs?

she is also overheating on some ocassions. Do I need to drain her and fill it up with fresh water and coolant?

sorry gawa, i meant the starter pack, not the battery pack. get the starter pack changed and you should see an improvement.

I had the same problem last year and it was the distributor. £30 or so fixed it when I found out what the problem was.

gawa316

Cheers for all the help. Hopefully it is something like the distributer cause I can't afford a clutch.

Would problems with the distributer lead to it overheating?

take_yer_points

Quote from: gawa316 on May 01, 2009, 09:41:52 AM
Cheers for all the help. Hopefully it is something like the distributer cause I can't afford a clutch.

Would problems with the distributer lead to it overheating?

Mine didn't lead to any overheating. It led to the car "skipping" when I was accelerating in a lower gear. It also took a few goes to start when the car was cold.

When the distributor finally packed in altogether it was like I was trying to accelerate with the handbrake on. There was next to no power in the car at all.

The Watcher Pat

Quote from: tyrone girl on April 30, 2009, 10:06:31 PM
Mines been the same recently, seems to stutter and shudder any time i try to pick up speed and then its been overheating a lot too , the temp hand rising far too quickly and its been checked for water and plenty in it. There been couple of occasions i have came out of work to start it and it wont even kick , have had to get jump leads. Keep sayin im gona go get it seen to but im a disaster keep putting it off.
Ah well im changin it in summer so hopefully it gets me about til then

Its probably your alternator, it charges your battery when the motor is running..If its not working your battery will have no charge required to spark the plugs and start your car..

http://www.whatprice.co.uk/car/maintainance/car-electrical.html
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME