Tyrone v Derry 1995 USF - just got a copy!

Started by under the bar, November 11, 2008, 09:39:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

"Anrhony Tohill, a man of many parts... and nearly al of them working!"

Will Hunting

Quote from: under the bar on December 17, 2008, 04:09:19 PM
QuoteDidn't wee Pete 'retire' McGurk in the 96 match with a tackle that got him sent off ( to a standing ovation)?

I think it was the man mountain Paul McFlynn that Big Peter hit with the Judas tackle but it was later than 96

Pretty sure it was the semi-final in 1996 and Canavan got a month which left him was free to play in the final v Cavan(?).

Ulster semi-final 2001. Think he got booked for it. A dirty action; but sure you'd expect nothing else from Canavan.

ONeill

Didn't Peter get a red for slapping McBride?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Will Hunting

Quote from: ONeill on December 17, 2008, 05:33:21 PM
Didn't Peter get a red for slapping McBride?

That was in the AI quarter-final later that year. Two yellows from what i recall.

Gaffer

Quote from: under the bar on December 17, 2008, 04:09:19 PM
QuoteDidn't wee Pete 'retire' McGurk in the 96 match with a tackle that got him sent off ( to a standing ovation)?

I think it was the man mountain Paul McFlynn that Big Peter hit with the Judas tackle but it was later than 96

Pretty sure it was the semi-final in 1996 and Canavan got a month which left him was free to play in the final v Cavan(?).

Pretty sure it was 96 and he got to play against Down in the Ulster Final.

Petes final words in the victory speech was "Lets Party!"
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

rrhf

O Neill thanks a million really enjoyed it one for the library.
Observations:
1) That Tyrone team in 95 didnt win an all Ireland by a kick of the ball, and whilst their conquerers took all the plaudits  they were slated because of their performance in the final and people said they were a one man band. Now dont get me wrong Canavan that day  deserved to win the 14 inch portable TV more than any. That form of revisionism is incorrect but unfair on the Fergal Logans, Seanie Mc Laughlins, Chris Lawns, Devlin twins, Ronan Mc Garrity, Jody Gormley, Adie Cush, Paul Donnelly etc.  Tyrone took on a Derry team that day hellbent on winning a second sam and took them apart in an awesome display.  Secondly and a point rarely argued.  There were rightly 3 acknowledged great teams in Ulster who beat each other in some epic battles throughout those years.  We must remember Tyrone roundly defeated all 3 of these teams often ending their ambitions of Sam when they were there or therabouts and I mean destroyed them.  So I will go as far as to say that that game could in many eyes have been every bit as good as Down and Derry in Celtic Park only for the fact Tyrone didnt win Sam.  The derry wans always hate this game being brought up, it burns because this was their one that got away, but when they came back to exact revenge and who can forget Barton swearing revenge in the Irish News against the red hands they got their asses handed back to them again in 96.  Ill go as far as to say that that Tyrone team but for a little more self belief in Croke Park could have completed the two in a row of Sams in 95 and also in 96, when unfortunately a lesson in cold blooded Thuggery was served.
2)John Mc Bride used to score great goals, but that was before Frank Mitchels voice broke.
3) Incidently a youthfull Mark Sidebottom does the round up of games describing the Kerry tipp game as Tipp travelled hoping to cause an upset until they were hit by 5 first half goals.  Was that how low  the once mighty kingdom had fallen during this period that Tipp were planning to beat them. It made me think when the kerry golden years finished in 1986, men like sean Cavanagh were 2 or 3.  When the Kerry men talk of neaveaux riche I think listen to them - the old has beens.  They would need to send up a few videos of their golden years to remind some of these upstarts of Tyrone players what tradition they should be afraid of.  Please try and get the videos converted to DVD for a modern audience if possible and it might bear fuller fruits than in recent years.  
4) Also Tohills tips were great I learned how to kick the ball with my foot and to pass the ball using just my fist.  (If i had watched them at the time)
5) Finally I wonder who won the weekend in sundrenched Lanzerote.  

Next who has the video for Tyrone V Armagh 2002 first game. or Tyone V Armagh 1989.
Anyway thanks O Neill again.

ONeill

At least it worked for you - there have been a couple of corrupt disks and re-sends!

tyrone86

Quote from: rrhf on December 18, 2008, 08:43:26 AM
O Neill thanks a million really enjoyed it one for the library.
Observations:
1) That Tyrone team in 95 didnt win an all Ireland by a kick of the ball, and whilst their conquerers took all the plaudits  they were slated because of their performance in the final and people said they were a one man band. Now dont get me wrong Canavan that day  deserved to win the 14 inch portable TV more than any. That form of revisionism is incorrect but unfair on the Fergal Logans, Seanie Mc Laughlins, Chris Lawns, Devlin twins, Ronan Mc Garrity, Jody Gormley, Adie Cush, Paul Donnelly etc.  Tyrone took on a Derry team that day hellbent on winning a second sam and took them apart in an awesome display.  Secondly and a point rarely argued.  There were rightly 3 acknowledged great teams in Ulster who beat each other in some epic battles throughout those years.  We must remember Tyrone roundly defeated all 3 of these teams often ending their ambitions of Sam when they were there or therabouts and I mean destroyed them.  So I will go as far as to say that that game could in many eyes have been every bit as good as Down and Derry in Celtic Park only for the fact Tyrone didnt win Sam.  The derry wans always hate this game being brought up, it burns because this was their one that got away, but when they came back to exact revenge and who can forget Barton swearing revenge in the Irish News against the red hands they got their asses handed back to them again in 96.  Ill go as far as to say that that Tyrone team but for a little more self belief in Croke Park could have completed the two in a row of Sams in 95 and also in 96, when unfortunately a lesson in cold blooded Thuggery was served.
2)John Mc Bride used to score great goals, but that was before Frank Mitchels voice broke.
3) Incidently a youthfull Mark Sidebottom does the round up of games describing the Kerry tipp game as Tipp travelled hoping to cause an upset until they were hit by 5 first half goals.  Was that how low  the once mighty kingdom had fallen during this period that Tipp were planning to beat them. It made me think when the kerry golden years finished in 1986, men like sean Cavanagh were 2 or 3.  When the Kerry men talk of neaveaux riche I think listen to them - the old has beens.  They would need to send up a few videos of their golden years to remind some of these upstarts of Tyrone players what tradition they should be afraid of.  Please try and get the videos converted to DVD for a modern audience if possible and it might bear fuller fruits than in recent years.  
4) Also Tohills tips were great I learned how to kick the ball with my foot and to pass the ball using just my fist.  (If i had watched them at the time)
5) Finally I wonder who won the weekend in sundrenched Lanzerote.  

Next who has the video for Tyrone V Armagh 2002 first game. or Tyone V Armagh 1989.
Anyway thanks O Neill again.

Ah now rrhf, come on!

cornafean

1) That Tyrone team in 95 didnt win an all Ireland by a kick of the ball, and whilst their conquerers took all the plaudits  they were slated because of their performance in the final and people said they were a one man band. Now dont get me wrong Canavan that day  deserved to win the 14 inch portable TV more than any. That form of revisionism is incorrect but unfair on ... Paul Donnelly etc.

Incidentally, I firmly believe that if Tyrone had had the courage to play Paul Donnelly for the full game in the 1995 final, they would have won pulling up.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

under the bar

QuotePretty sure it was the semi-final in 1996 and Canavan got a month which left him was free to play in the final v Cavan(?).
Ulster semi-final 2001. Think he got booked for it. A dirty action; but sure you'd expect nothing else from Canavan.

No, he did get sent off on the AI quarter final against Derry in 2001 tho.  

I'm talking about the semi final in 1996.  His marker kept hitting him dirty digs off the ball and going in with the knee which the linesman didnt call to the refs attention.  Once Derry were blown out of the water and the game was in the bag, Canavan exacted his own revenge and didnt even wait for the ref and just walked off, knowing he'd only get a month and be back for the final.  The crowd went wild as the Derry back had it coming to him all day.  

Occassionally even the greatest player in Ireland has to protect himself.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: cornafean on December 18, 2008, 09:55:01 AM

1) That Tyrone team in 95 didnt win an all Ireland by a kick of the ball, and whilst their conquerers took all the plaudits  they were slated because of their performance in the final and people said they were a one man band. Now dont get me wrong Canavan that day  deserved to win the 14 inch portable TV more than any. That form of revisionism is incorrect but unfair on ... Paul Donnelly etc.

Incidentally, I firmly believe that if Tyrone had had the courage to play Paul Donnelly for the full game in the 1995 final, they would have won pulling up.

If he'd lasted the full game  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

cornafean

Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

ONeill

I think it was Paddy Heaney who asked Peter when and why he'd developed a physical edge to his game around the turn of the decade. Peter retorted that the exact point was when he lost his front teeth!

rrhf

Next you'll be telling me the Lawns were twins and the Devlins werent.  ;)
If Paul Donnelly had played, if Adie Cush hadnt been fallen on in training by Mc Callan, if Canavan hadnt slipped, that team would have made the breakthrough.  They had some tremendous performances pre 96 Meath game.  Donegal in Breffni were walloped, Down in Clones annhilated, Derry in Clones (2) - massacred, - the first team in 18 years wasnt it to do back to back.  Tyrone paid the penalty for Donegal, Derry and Downs lose knit victories over the dubs.  Ulsters quota of  luck had been used up by the predessors.  I always believed of all the victories Derrys against an auld done Cork team was the least memorable but in fairness Tyrone were beaten by an auld done Dublin team, just 2 years later.  In 96 we were arrogant I heard at the time that key men werent applying themselves in training as they should have been, and for the first time in our history we were favourites to win Sam and we only had to survive the football challenge of Meath.  We just about survived never mind the football but that team was finished.  

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: cornafean on December 18, 2008, 10:14:20 AM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on December 18, 2008, 10:06:50 AM
If he'd lasted the full game  ;)

Was he injured? Maybe that explains it.

No, don't think so cornafean, it was more that he'd have been liable to have taken a walk to the line, and that's where the management's "courage" would have come into it, as you said.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...