Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dundrumite

Quote from: T O Hare on October 01, 2008, 03:44:24 PM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on October 01, 2008, 03:17:35 PM
Exactly that. He got married to a Miss Veronica (I don't know her first name) and changed his name from Gribben to Veronica.

That is hilarious :D :D :D

gaahead2008

what a wimp ...the other half being the boss!! hope he's tougher on the field than off it-for the sake of his team mates!!!

Bacon

Quote from: Lecale2 on October 01, 2008, 10:17:24 AM
Hurling final on Sunday, Portaferry v Ballygalget. Should be a good game.
There's little between the 2 team. Ballygalget beat them in the league a few weeks ago and in the SHC last year but I would still make Portaferry slight favorites. They had a tough semi final with Ballycran whereas the Galgets had a virtual walk over v South Down. Paul Braniff is back and when he plays well so does Portaferry. No quarter will be given or expected in Ballycran and I expect Portaferry to win by 3pts.

Without Magic Portaferry will eat them. If they can stay injury free they might even give Ulster a rattle (for once!).
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

Leo

Quote from: islandboy on October 01, 2008, 03:05:38 PM

my final point is that the atmosphere was poor considering the crowd. newcastle always had a better atmosphere. pity not playing there anymore

Can't believe this nonsense about Newcastle which belongs to the stone age. Spent too many days on narrow terracing with poor views or sitting in the arse-freezing "stand" with no view - obscured by bigger steel uprights than Brooklyn Bridge - to regret its passing.

Atmosphere in Newry for the two Burren-Kilcoo games was brilliant and for the Burren -Lisland game as well.
Poor atmosphere at final was engineered by pathetic fare on view.

Now that we have a decent modern venue with a grandstand to match any in the country we have some people moaning for a return to Dickensian facilities.
I'm also told that the attendances at Pairc Esler are much higher than equivalent gaames at other venues in recent years.
We have a wonderful asset - lets use it, not abuse it.
Fierce tame altogether

amallon

Anything happening on that now Spirit?  Is there still planning problems on the Burrenbridge road? 
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

johnneycool

Quote from: Bacon on October 02, 2008, 08:33:35 AM
There's little between the 2 team. Ballygalget beat them in the league a few weeks ago and in the SHC last year but I would still make Portaferry slight favorites. They had a tough semi final with Ballycran whereas the Galgets had a virtual walk over v South Down. Paul Braniff is back and when he plays well so does Portaferry. No quarter will be given or expected in Ballycran and I expect Portaferry to win by 3pts.

Without Magic Portaferry will eat them. If they can stay injury free they might even give Ulster a rattle (for once!).

I don't see us being 'eaten' by Portaferry and if Hugh clamps down on Dules diving big Aaron can keep him quiet enough in the closer confines of Ballycran provided the Ports don't try and suck our two corner backs up the field and they follow them. Wee Liam should be left in to cover around the house. The Ports don't have a whole lot left in the scoring stakes and I'd be more worried about Andy and Cougie in midfield than any of their other scoring threat. A lot will depend on how Gabriel Clarke gets on with BA. If Gabs gets a good start he usually has a stormer, but if BA gets on top Gabs falls away badly as he's no plan B after the tippy tappy stuff fails.
As I've said before we'll need at least parity in midfield to give the forwards enough ball to win the game, something Ballycran managed in spurts by fast early ground hurling to by pass the Ports half back line and trouble a dodgy Portaferry fullbackline. Our half forwards are the line we need to see most improvement out of as Gary Flynn and Stevie Clarke can become non-entities in the game far too easy. They need to start winning their own ball and taking scores now that Magic is gone. I think the ports have a decision to make in who picks up Dingy, as young O'Prey may be a bit green for his wiles. Historically Zelda has done well on Dingy but he's not the same hurler now that he was and may be the man to lose out for Murph's return. I'd expect Paddy Rat to get the nod ahead of Jonny Boon as we need to try exploit any lack of pace in the ports defence but he'll need to be a bit braver than normal.

The Ports will be favourites but I don't see them as world beaters unlike Deccy Bacon and our lads would need to step it up a gear but its not beyond them plus they'll be well reminded of their limp perfomance last year against Ballycran so giving up is not an option.

amallon

Sorry I asked Spirit, depressing stuff.

There is something on the online eidition of the Irish news about Boylan having some sort of plan for Benny Coulter.  I don't subscribe so can someone give me the jist of it?

Blue Island

As I've said before we'll need at least parity in midfield to give the forwards enough ball to win the game, something Ballycran managed in spurts by fast early ground hurling to by pass the Ports half back line and trouble a dodgy Portaferry fullbackline. Our half forwards are the line we need to see most improvement out of as Gary Flynn and Stevie Clarke can become non-entities in the game far too easy. They need to start winning their own ball and taking scores now that Magic is gone. I think the ports have a decision to make in who picks up Dingy, as young O'Prey may be a bit green for his wiles. Historically Zelda has done well on Dingy but he's not the same hurler now that he was and may be the man to lose out for Murph's return. I'd expect Paddy Rat to get the nod ahead of Jonny Boon as we need to try exploit any lack of pace in the ports defence but he'll need to be a bit braver than normal.

[/quote]

There does not appear to be many people on the peninsula that use their Christian names. Magic, Dingy, Zelda, Paddy Rat and Jonny Boon? They sound like they came from the cast of the Donnie Brasco film.

goldenyears

Benny plan in pipeline International Rules
By Paddy Heaney
02/10/08

Ireland manager Sean Boylan has confirmed that he has a provisional travel plan in place for Benny Coulter if the Down star is selected for this year's tour to Australia.

The Irish panel is set to fly to Australia on Saturday October 18. However, the following day, Coulter will be expected to represent Mayobridge in the Ulster Club SFC. The Down champions have been pitted against St Gall's in the preliminary round of the provincial tournament.

When Boylan was asked if he would be able to accommodate players like Coulter who face club commitments after the main party has departed, he said: "Of course we will. There is no question about that."

It's understood that Coulter and two other players are scheduled to play in club games that take place after the main party has flown to Perth.

One of the other two players is Cavan's Seanie Johnston. Reports indicate that the Breffni star forward has impressed during the trials.

Johnston is due to represent Cavan Gaels when they meet Denn in the Cavan senior football final on October 19.

If Coulter and Johnston are selected, the Irish management team has arranged for them to fly to Perth at a later date.

Indeed, Coulter revealed that Irish selector Anthony Tohill had already contacted him about the situation.

"Anthony Tohill spoke to me last week. He realises that there could be a problem if I was selected.

''They are aware of the clash of dates. But they'll only have to come up with another plan if I am picked, and I don't know if I have been picked yet,'' said Coulter.

Ulster Council secretary Danny Murphy insisted that there was no chance of the preliminary round game between Mayobridge and St Gall's being rearranged.

Murphy said: "It's a preliminary round game and it must be played on that date, otherwise the entire championship could run into all sorts of difficulties.

"There is a precedent in the past where players involved in club championship games flew out to Australia after they had played their games. You will probably find that this will apply to a number of players."

Coulter's courage, power and strong fielding have resulted in him being one of Ireland's best performers in the hybrid game.

It would be a major surprise if he wasn't selected. His county team-mate Dan Gordon was considered to have a strong chance of being one of the 27 panellists, but a foot injury has ruled him out.

Gordon played for Loughinisland in last Sunday's Down club final, but was forced to retire in the first half with the injury, which has been troubling him for the past few weeks.

The Irish squad will be announced at a press conference in Croke Park next Tuesday.

Ireland will play Australia in Perth on October 24 and in Melbourne on October 31.

goldenyears

BENNY Coulter will not be allowing the International Rules series in Australia to conflict with his club commitments with Mayobridge.

The Down star is currently involved in the trials for the forthcoming tour Down Under, but he's also in the Mayobridge side that will take on St Gall's in the preliminary round of the Ulster Club Championship.

Coulter has stated that he will not be travelling to the southern hemisphere if the club competition clashes with the trip to Oz.

"The International Rules panel is announced on Saturday. They tend to work around the Ulster club, otherwise I will not be there,'' he said.

A perennial selection on the International Rules squad, Coulter is celebrating a five-in-a-row with his local club team, who defeated Loughinisland by four points on Sunday.

After the match, the Mayobridge players allowed photographers to choreograph poses in which they stood with an open palm held

outright, with each digit symbolising a Championship victory.

Coulter insisted that there was no discussion of the five-in-a-row before the game.

"There was no word of it,'' he said. "We just wanted to win the game. We were focused on the win and nothing else. You can focus on what you have achieved after the game."

It was by no means a vintage Mayobridge performance.

Normally their forwards prove to be their trump card, but their latest success can be attributed to a resolute defensive performance.

"We know that we didn't play well. Even in the second half we were very bad. We were very cagey and we missed a lot of scores. But we never panicked at half-time. We drew our semi-final against Saval but we came out in the replay and we destroyed them.

"We have a lot to work on. In previous years we have steamrollered teams in the final and won by 10 or 11 points. But we only won by four points. Mickey [Donnelly] will have us back out on Tuesday night and we have a lot to work on but we should be taking a lot into Ulster,'' said Coulter.

Having lifted the O'Hare Cup on eight occasions since 1999, the south Down side have failed to win the Ulster club title. But Coulter dismissed the suggestion that Mayobridge had failed to do

themselves justice in the provincial tournament.

"We have done ourselves proud. We have got to two finals. We just haven't won it yet."

Mayobridge face an onerous challenge if they are to lift the Seamus McFerran Cup next month. They've been pitted against a formidable St Gall's team that's now managed by double All-Ireland medallist, James McCartan  a former team-mate of Coulter's.

"We play St Gall's in a few weeks and we'll not be lacking heart or desire or determination to win the game.

"We will come out and we will be confident of beating them. We got to the final in 2001 and 2004 but we will take St Gall's first and we will see where we go from there,'' said Coulter.

ULSTER CLUB CHAMPIONSHIP

October 19: (a) Mayobridge (Down) v St Gall's (Antrim) at Down venue

November 2: (b) Armagh winners v Fermanagh winners at Armagh venue;

(c) Tyrone winners v Donegal winners at Tyrone venue; (d) Derry winners v Monaghan winners at Derry venue; (e) Cavan winners v Mayobridge or St Gall's (If Cavan winners v Mayobridge at Cavan venue, if Cavan winners v St Gall's at Antrim venue

November 16: semi-finals, (b) v (c);

(d) v (e):

November 30: SFC final

amallon

Cheers GoldenYears.  A bit of encouraging news from a Mayobridge point of view. 

fred the red

I take it if Mayobridge and St Galls draw then benny would stay at home for the replay?

amallon

Fred- I think thats what he is saying in the interview.  It would be tough on him to miss the trip but judging by what he is saying is the Bridge is coming first.

Bacon

Quote from: johnneycool on October 02, 2008, 10:54:06 AM
Quote from: Bacon on October 02, 2008, 08:33:35 AM

I don't see us being 'eaten' by Portaferry and if Hugh clamps down on Duels diving big Aaron can keep him quiet enough in the closer confines of Ballycran provided the Ports don't try and suck our two corner backs up the field and they follow them. Wee Liam should be left in to cover around the house. The Ports don't have a whole lot left in the scoring stakes and I'd be more worried about Andy and Cougie in midfield than any of their other scoring threat. A lot will depend on how Gabriel Clarke gets on with BA. If Gabs gets a good start he usually has a stormer, but if BA gets on top Gabs falls away badly as he's no plan B after the tippy tappy stuff fails.

The Ports will be favourites but I don't see them as world beaters unlike Deccy Bacon and our lads would need to step it up a gear but its not beyond them plus they'll be well reminded of their limp perfomance last year against Ballycran so giving up is not an option.

Is Johnny Boon back training? I thought he'd packed it in.

A lot of what you say makes sense Jonnycool but Portaferry will still win by 3-4 pts. I think you're waring the Green tinted glasses. I'm no fan of the Ports but they are the better team this year and really should have beaten Ballygalget last year in the semi final. What I seen of Ballygalget it looks like some of them arent puttin the effort in any more because they know the place on the team is safe.
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

spiritof91and94

Quote from: amallon on October 02, 2008, 02:34:16 PM
Fred- I think thats what he is saying in the interview.  It would be tough on him to miss the trip but judging by what he is saying is the Bridge is coming first.

I thought Benny made a statement after the last series stating he was finished with the aussie rules due to the brutal play by the aussies - can anyone confirm?
Hope they dont single him out as he will be a threat to them.