If it's not about the money then why are Dublin so far ahead?

Started by highorlow, July 17, 2016, 08:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

highorlow

Compared to where the Dublin hurlers were 10 years ago they have made giant strides with the additional professional approach which is funded by the DCB.

A Leinster title in 2013 is prove of this along with the club success in Leinster.

So to say it's a unique bunch of talented footballers alone, i.e, without the cash injection is folly. This is proven by the giant strides recently in the hurling.

Is it over 20 now in the footballers back room team? I read a few years back it was 19. That's some looking after the players get.

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

mup

Quote from: INDIANA on July 20, 2016, 09:31:22 PM
Quote from: mup on July 20, 2016, 09:23:41 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on July 20, 2016, 07:35:45 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on July 20, 2016, 12:55:05 PM
Rightyo tiger. Why is croke park used as dublins homeground?
How is that fair and not an advantage?  Simple facts we dont need to rely on rumor for that one.

How many paid coaches are in dublin? How many in mayo? Does this ratio define fairness?

What percentage of development funding do dublin get? Is this fair. In 2014 i read in IT article they got more than the 31 combined. Has this changed for 15?

Dublin Clubs pay 50% of the GPO's cost themselves but never let the facts get in the way of bullshit. It's less interesting. Do you chew straw?

50% of how many GDO's?

Most club's have one. Some have two. 50% of each

Do Dublin have 30 GDO's? More? Less?

twohands!!!

Quote from: mup on July 20, 2016, 10:10:58 PM
How is that fair and not an advantage?  Simple facts we dont need to rely on rumor for that one.

How many paid coaches are in dublin? How many in mayo? Does this ratio define fairness?

What percentage of development funding do dublin get? Is this fair. In 2014 i read in IT article they got more than the 31 combined. Has this changed for 15?

Dublin Clubs pay 50% of the GPO's cost themselves but never let the facts get in the way of bullshit. It's less interesting. Do you chew straw?

50% of how many GDO's?

Somewhere in the region of 60 to 80 I've heard.
Someone once told me Dublin had more than the rest of Ireland combined.

AZOffaly

Yeah, that looks right. I know Tipperary have 4 as well, 1 per division, and they cover football and hurling.

blast05

QuoteNothing long about this at all - I said they spent roughly the same on the senior footballers, you called bullshit on that, now it's up to you to prove it. You've got the Mayo figures, now go get the Dublin ones. Happy as i said to be proved wrong, but you are the one who is disputing what I said. Oh and we're only talking about senior footballers by the way, so I don't need percentages across all panels thanks.

Oh and by the way, if you just read down to page 8 of those accounts you'll find it broken down into team by team expenses (so you don't have to rely on the calculator)- you guys spent 133k on your hurlers, 89k of which was travel - however, unlike the football expenses, it is not broken down into senior/u 21/minor, unlike the football figures. You could expect the total hurling figure for Dublin to be many multiples of that.

Happy hunting

Well you're entertaining if nothing else ET.
Lets recap....

You stated that Mayo and Dublin football teams spend more or less the same.
I pointed you to the only factual information we have for 2015 in that Dublin spent €1,556,075 across all teams and codes. Mayo on the other hand spent €609,643.
The funny thing is that you apparently think the onus is on me to find the figures in reports to completely disprove your statements in all regards rather than the onus being on you to provide the links to prove your assertions (would be like me saying "Dublin players get paid a grand a week, now prove me wrong"). Unique and novel in any type of online discussion i have ever been involved in.

Never mind though ... continue on blissfully unaware. I think it was you who quoted a type of bias in an earlier post. Another one springs to mind here - Ostrich bias of course

PS .... Thanks for highlighting page 8 of that report which i missed and which shows the spend on the senior football team - something you were explicitly looking for. It also shows that my guesstimate for the spend on hurling was pretty good being within 2% of the total spend.

PPS ... Why is it that the Dublin financial reports (unlike the Mayo ones) are no where to be found when one searches for them ?

Lar Naparka

Quote from: twohands!!! on July 20, 2016, 10:23:12 PM
Quote from: mup on July 20, 2016, 10:10:58 PM

50% of how many GDO's?

Somewhere in the region of 60 to 80 I've heard.
Someone once told me Dublin had more than the rest of Ireland combined.

Well, if you go by this article, the number of GDAs  in Dublin is about 50.

"In this context, Dublin GAA didn't invest in bricks or mortar, instead hiring nearly 50 Games Promotion Officers at the time, (now Games Development Administrators) to work directly with individual clubs and their primary and secondary feeder schools."

Going by the link posted by OgraAnDun above, the other 11 Leinster counties have a total of 36.

The following excerpt is worth considering also:
"It has been well documented they received €1.46m in games development funding alone from Croke Park — Saturday's opponents Laois received €165,000. In total, Dublin received just under 50% of the total games development funding available nationally from the GAA in 2015."

This was posted by Indiana. (Reply #228)
"Dublin Clubs pay 50% of the GPO's cost themselves but never let the facts get in the way of bullshit. It's less interesting. Do you chew straw?"

This is what the Examiner article has to say.

"The agreement for funding was based on the clubs themselves providing a significant portion of the GDA's salary while the county board would make up the remainder. Some of the larger clubs like Kilmacud Crokes and Ballyboden employ two full-time coaches to help with the huge volume of juvenile players and mentors. One coach is subsidised by the county board, while the other is fully funded by the club."
The writer doesn't mention the fact that the typical Dublin club is possibly 5 times or more larger than a similar club in any other county in Ireland. According to the report commissioned by Peter Quinn in 1991, five Dublin clubs, Kilmacud, Ballyboden, Thomas Davis, Vincent's and Brigid's could the field more juveniles at a weekend than any of the following counties: Sligo, Leitrim.Roscommon, Fermanagh or Cavan.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

The Aristocrat

You all happy now cry babies - http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaa-to-target-east-coast-in-response-to-big-growth-in-population-34900748.html

Some of you need to grow up fast, its the capital city with the biggest playing population, those coaches are a fantastic asset to have for the kids but most training, coaching and managing is done by the volunteers. Don't forget that, and yes volunteers whether from Dublin or from the rest of the country.

AZOffaly

And there are fantastic volunteers in all counties as well. No one is disparaging the work that has been done in Dublin, it's brilliant, but the money is, has been, and will be a great facilitatator to help these structures run efficiently and at a high standard. All I was asking was that other counties would have access to the same facilitator, in order to give themselves the best chance of optimising their coaching and structures. If that's a cry baby, then pass my soother.

This news is good, and is a start. I'm not overly happy that it seems to be based on population again, solely. It should be based on giving the maximum return possible for every county. And if counties are not coming forward with proposals on how to spend money on development and coaches, they should be helped by the National Games Development committee to draft those proposal.

mup

Quote from: The Aristocrat on July 21, 2016, 09:18:23 AM
You all happy now cry babies - http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaa-to-target-east-coast-in-response-to-big-growth-in-population-34900748.html

Some of you need to grow up fast, its the capital city with the biggest playing population, those coaches are a fantastic asset to have for the kids but most training, coaching and managing is done by the volunteers. Don't forget that, and yes volunteers whether from Dublin or from the rest of the country.

No one is saying that these coaches are not doing a fantastic job - they obviously are.

Its you that needs to do a bit of growing up. I called you out a few pages back on your assertions about McGeeney being paid as a full time manager and coach. I'm asking again that you provide the proof that he was. Can you do that or will you ignore me again?

The Aristocrat

Quote from: mup on July 21, 2016, 10:52:21 AM

No one is saying that these coaches are not doing a fantastic job - they obviously are.

Its you that needs to do a bit of growing up. I called you out a few pages back on your assertions about McGeeney being paid as a full time manager and coach. I'm asking again that you provide the proof that he was. Can you do that or will you ignore me again?

Sorry I must have missed that reply, apologies. He definitely was being paid but its hard to prove, I don't have the documents but if you are involved in the Kildare county board if you can request full disclosure of all payments made by either cash or telegraphic transfers over the period that he in charge I can review it.

Please don't deny he was getting paid, what income did he receive over those years when he wasn't practicing is profession, he must had won the lotto or it was probably the money he got paid from Na Fianna.

mup

Quote from: The Aristocrat on July 21, 2016, 11:34:37 AM
Quote from: mup on July 21, 2016, 10:52:21 AM

Sorry I must have missed that reply, apologies. He definitely was being paid but its hard to prove, I don't have the documents but if you are involved in the Kildare county board if you can request full disclosure of all payments made by either cash or telegraphic transfers over the period that he in charge I can review it.

Please don't deny he was getting paid, what income did he receive over those years when he wasn't practicing is profession, he must had won the lotto or it was probably the money he got paid from Na Fianna.

That's fine so. None of us are any wiser so.

But I won't be making any allegations of what Jim Gavin, Jim McGuinness, Pat Gilroy are being/were being 'paid' because I don't know.

larryin89

I really thought it was just accepted now that managers get paid. A lot of club managers get paid ffs. Its just silly beggars now to not accept managers are getting paid. I know of a junior club team who were discussing could they afford such a one to come in for a few months .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Maroon Manc

An uncompetitive Leinster will come back to bite Dublin in the next few years, over half this Dublin team are heading for 30 or the wrong side of it and will eventually  will slow down or be replaced. They'll go into a quarter final without any sort of challenge within Leinster and be caught cold.

kerryforsam16

Quote from: highorlow on July 20, 2016, 10:02:39 PM
Compared to where the Dublin hurlers were 10 years ago they have made giant strides with the additional professional approach which is funded by the DCB.

A Leinster title in 2013 is prove of this along with the club success in Leinster.

So to say it's a unique bunch of talented footballers alone, i.e, without the cash injection is folly. This is proven by the giant strides recently in the hurling.

Is it over 20 now in the footballers back room team? I read a few years back it was 19. That's some looking after the players get.

ridicolious having so many in backroom team. mayo have 34, Clare hurlers have similar number. Below in kerry we only have 5/6 in backroom and we won plenty of all ireland. The cream of the crop will always rise to the top