If it's not about the money then why are Dublin so far ahead?

Started by highorlow, July 17, 2016, 08:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larryin89

Rightyo tiger. Why is croke park used as dublins homeground?
How is that fair and not an advantage?  Simple facts we dont need to rely on rumor for that one.

How many paid coaches are in dublin? How many in mayo? Does this ratio define fairness?

What percentage of development funding do dublin get? Is this fair. In 2014 i read in IT article they got more than the 31 combined. Has this changed for 15?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

easytiger95

Larry, if you wanted to have a rational discussion about Dublin you could have done it a few pages ago. Instead you've slandered our players as professionals, linked Dublin's "financial dominance" to Colm Boyle's inability to get a day off instead of asking what your own management and county board were up to, jumped on Blast's ridiculous identical dressing room bandwagon, and in your last post intimated that on top of this, our players are getting "extras" that should be out in the open.

And all this from a guy who supports a county that had to go cap in hand to Croker after a badly planned and executed redevelopment for a bailout, all the while decrying the team and county that by most measurements is the top net contributor to central funds through gate receipts and has been for the past twenty years - long before those gates could be in anyway justified by actual success on the field.

Then to put the cap on it, someone like AZ comes on, who is never backward in coming forward with criticism of the Dubs (some I agree with, some I definitely don't, but he is an honest broker) and after the most balanced contribution to the "debate", you decide to tell him he's talking horse shit.

You have the manners of a farm yard animal and the wits to go with it. There are plenty of good people on the ground in Dublin GAA whose volunteerism you traduce every time you open your gob, not just the senior players.

So no, larry, it won't be "righty o Tiger, answer these questions" - I'll treat anyone with respect who talks respectfully (about real people! in the real world) but mouthy keyboard warriors? Count me out, thanks.

Zulu

So the nonsense continues. AZ has already address most of the sensible points but that doesn't seem to satisfy the less reasoned posters around here. The GAA is inherently unfair by virtue of the county structure so of course Dublin have inherent advantages. However, the only advantage that Dublin enjoy that could/should be reviewed is the development funding where perhaps Dublin GAA could fund the shortfall themselves. Other than that the rest is drivel really.

This used to be a very good discussion board but the moaning about the Dubs, especially from posters whose own counties enjoy huge advantages over most counties as well is fairly pathetic.

larryin89

Ahh right then the keyboard warrior thing. We'll park it there so.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Zulu on July 20, 2016, 01:24:02 PM
So the nonsense continues. AZ has already address most of the sensible points but that doesn't seem to satisfy the less reasoned posters around here. The GAA is inherently unfair by virtue of the county structure so of course Dublin have inherent advantages. However, the only advantage that Dublin enjoy that could/should be reviewed is the development funding where perhaps Dublin GAA could fund the shortfall themselves. Other than that the rest is drivel really.

This used to be a very good discussion board but the moaning about the Dubs, especially from posters whose own counties enjoy huge advantages over most counties as well is fairly pathetic.

Zulu, 4 years ago it was allowed for Dublin to play every home league and knock out league game at home, marry this with every championship game at home and you have an inorganic advantage, that is Larry's point and how is that drivel. Mayo have just discovered the benefits of playing week in week out at home it's an advantage pure and simple. Prior to 4 years ago this advantage did not exist and is a very simple and fair point that no Dublin poster will concede. So I ask you do you think that is fair?
#newbridgeornowhere

seafoid

The Dubs had all games in Croker between 1996 and 2010 and won nothing
In 5 years or a  decade they will be back winning nothing

Dinny Breen

Quote from: seafoid on July 20, 2016, 01:57:17 PM

SeafoId you don't  have to comment on every thread. They only starting playing every league game 4 years ago.
#newbridgeornowhere

Maroon Manc

Not sure any of us were complaining about Dublin playing in Croker when they didn't win an All Ireland from 1995 to 2011, I agree they should play games outside Croker in the Leinster Championship but as for the rest of the games its ridiculous to keep moaning about it as there is no realistic alternative. I'd like to see every provincial winner play a quarter final in their home ground but this is hardly going to have an affect on Dublin given the state of Meath & Co. As for the changing rooms its wrong that they have the same dressing room for every game, its an unfair advantage.

My biggest concern is the money they receive for games development which is wrong, very wrong. Going forward I'd like to think this is changed as coupled with their bigger sponsorship revenues this certainly creates a huge advantage. If Dublin didn't win a Senior All ireland for the next 10 years I'd still be of the same opinion.

Zulu

Quote from: larryin89 on July 20, 2016, 01:52:41 PM
Ahh right then the keyboard warrior thing. We'll park it there so.

No, but lets talk facts and not made up realities.

Lar Naparka

How can you say that with straight face. Things are far different now to what they were in the period you mention. Even as recent as 2010, the words Professionalism and Science weren't yet buzzwords in the GAA vocabulary and GAA structures in Dublin had not been re-organised and restructured the way they are now.
In 5 or 10 years from now, the only thing you can say with certainty is that Dublin will be there or thereabouts at the business end in late September. There is no rational reason to suppose that when the likes of Connoly, Brogann and whoever else you care to mention retire, they won't be replaced by others of equal calibre.
The likes of Kerry, Mayo etc. may provide a reasonable challenge in any year but none of them will have the resources to sustain this level of competitiveness year after year.
In common or garden English, the likes of the counties I mentioned above will not have the resources to maintain that challenge. The cost of preparing their senior teams leaves them will sweet damn all to develop football within their counties. They are remaining competitive at a heavy price and cannot possibly hope to remain so year upon year.

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 20, 2016, 02:00:36 PM

SeafoId you don't  have to comment on every thread. They only starting playing every league game 4 years ago.

Where are you proposing Dublin play their home league games?

Zulu

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 20, 2016, 01:55:30 PM

Zulu, 4 years ago it was allowed for Dublin to play every home league and knock out league game at home, marry this with every championship game at home and you have an inorganic advantage, that is Larry's point and how is that drivel. Mayo have just discovered the benefits of playing week in week out at home it's an advantage pure and simple. Prior to 4 years ago this advantage did not exist and is a very simple and fair point that no Dublin poster will concede. So I ask you do you think that is fair?

Dinny, was it not the Leinster counties themselves who voted for this? I think it is right and proper that they play their home league games at Croke Park as they can get far more fans to their home games than PP can accommodate. Preventing fans from going to games is no way to promote a sport. I'd love to see them play more Leinster championship games outside of Croke Park and that would also be good for the game but it's the Leinster counties who are responsible for this are they not?

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 20, 2016, 02:19:21 PM

Parnell Park.
#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Zulu on July 20, 2016, 02:20:35 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 20, 2016, 01:55:30 PM

Dinny, was it not the Leinster counties themselves who voted for this? I think it is right and proper that they play their home league games at Croke Park as they can get far more fans to their home games than PP can accommodate. Preventing fans from going to games is no way to promote a sport. I'd love to see them play more Leinster championship games outside of Croke Park and that would also be good for the game but it's the Leinster counties who are responsible for this are they not?

You didn't answer the question. Is it fair?
#newbridgeornowhere

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 20, 2016, 02:24:02 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 20, 2016, 02:19:21 PM

Parnell Park.

We'll agree to strongly disagree.