Unioinists Just Can't Help Themselves

Started by Applesisapples, December 24, 2015, 10:50:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Quote from: smelmoth on January 06, 2016, 01:36:58 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on January 06, 2016, 01:29:22 PM
I thought it was pathetic & petty including the ROI tbh, i'd imagine they're panicking an invitation will actually arrive. All they'll be is a pawn in Belfast Council's pathetic game of Sectarianism - wtf would they want to part of it?

I think your right. I can't imagine the RoI players would have much appetite for it.

As an aside RTE carried a story about a westminster vote that (if it went true) would likely lead to GSTQ being dropped as the NI sports anthem. I would imagine that IFA would be desperate for this to go through. The opportunity to ditch the tune based upon a decision made by somebody else would be the perfect opportunity.
Not quite the story. A Labour MP is trying to start a consultation for England to have its own anthem, rather than GSTQ, for any sporting occassions where it's England rather than the UK. That may or may not happen. If it did, NI would be even more out of step than it is now, but it doesn't necessarily change anything as NI would still have to make its own decision.

Applesisapples

How is it pathetic to expect that unionists might give some small token of recognition to the fact that many Nationalist view the ROI team as theirs? You have three or four Northerners in the squad and a Northern manager. It is typically disingenuous behaviour by Unionist politicians who don't want any vestiges of Irishness about the place.   

Na Glinntí Glasa

They had a protest outside city hall the other night against this vote before it happened. Said they dont want any foreigners to be invited to city hall. Jesus wept.
hurl like f**k boi!

Maguire01

Quote from: Dunloy realist on January 07, 2016, 12:21:00 PM
They had a protest outside city hall the other night against this vote before it happened. Said they dont want any foreigners to be invited to city hall. Jesus wept.
5 people turned up to protest.

ziggysego

Quote from: Maguire01 on January 07, 2016, 06:31:06 PM
5 people turned up to protest.

In a rather devilment mood, I predicted 7 in a private Facebook NI Political Discussion Group. I overestimated the numbers of support the Protestant Coalition have.
Testing Accessibility

general_lee

Snapchap

Quote from: Applesisapples on January 07, 2016, 10:35:44 AM
How is it pathetic to expect that unionists might give some small token of recognition to the fact that many Nationalist view the ROI team as theirs? You have three or four Northerners in the squad and a Northern manager. It is typically disingenuous behaviour by Unionist politicians who don't want any vestiges of Irishness about the place.
If the comments over the last page or so are anything to go by, there are no shortage of "nationalists" (presumably nationalist anyway) who aren't all that keen on recognising that fact either.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Snapchap on January 08, 2016, 09:48:58 AM
If the comments over the last page or so are anything to go by, there are no shortage of "nationalists" (presumably nationalist anyway) who aren't all that keen on recognising that fact either.
I'd say they are catholic unionists.

Denn Forever

We should hold a joint celebration of both teams achievement in Aras an uachtarain hosted by the president of Ireland.

And have a jumpers for goalposts gameon the lawn.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Maguire01

Quote from: Applesisapples on January 08, 2016, 10:34:56 AM
Quote from: Snapchap on January 08, 2016, 09:48:58 AM
I'd say they are catholic unionists.
I'd say you're wrong.

Anyway, the NI team already had a reception, so it's daft that they'd be invited again. Maybe invite the two managers? I doubt the players would have any interest.

omaghjoe

Was the English and Scottish contingent in the team that they protesting about?

Applesisapples

And they are at it again in Causeway Coast and Glens. SF have launched a call in after the Unionists on the council over turned funding that was allocated to Rising events and exclusively committed money to Somme events. So much for Tony's shared identity.

imtommygunn

I heard on the radio yesterday that unionists, that's what it said so not sure specifically, applied to the guinness book of records for the world record of most amount of minister resignations in a day.

If that is true then they are a bigger mockery than i thought.

tyroneman

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 16, 2016, 09:08:32 AM
I heard on the radio yesterday that unionists, that's what it said so not sure specifically, applied to the guinness book of records for the world record of most amount of minister resignations in a day.

If that is true then they are a bigger mockery than i thought.

Think that was DUP proposing UUP for the record attempt. Looked like a rare attempt at humour.

T Fearon

Actually it was the UUP proposing the DUP,as Nesbitt said they would at the UUP conference late last year.Thought it would have been hilarious, and embarrassing to the DUP,had they got an entry in😂.

As regards the Causeway council denying funding for rising events,is this really any different from Newry and Mourne Council naming a play park after an IRA member? The whole point about new parties emerging to forge a common N Irish identity would be the sidelining of the current tribal parties and councils would no longer be "nationalist" or "unionist" controlled.