Unioinists Just Can't Help Themselves

Started by Applesisapples, December 24, 2015, 10:50:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

Leisure facilities are the biggest drain on resources,so I applaud any Councillor who treads warily in this area.

Er it's not legal to discriminate nowadays,even if a Public Representative was inclined to do so.

On a positive note,Portadown Public Park has been transformed as a result of a recent £5m European peace money refurbishment.This was opposed (a sham act) by the DUP on the basis that the park,located in a nationalist part of the town,with Garvaghy Road at one end,was a no go area (a lot of truth in this) for Protestants.A hasty u turn came about and since re opening a few months ago,happily the park,as it was in my young day,is being widely used by both communities.

Applesisapples

Once again given an opportunity to be magnanimous by inviting the ROI team to Belfast Unionists have illustrated that friendship and tolerance where it does exist can only ever be on their terms. Jim Rodgers pathetic attempts to be inclusive by inviting England and Wales demonstrates a total lack of respect for the nationalist majority in Belfast.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Jim Rodgers is yet another echo to a bigoted past the rest are moving away from. He cant help himself, much like the majority of unionist elected reps, its all he knows.
hurl like f**k boi!

Mario

Limavady is only 10 miles from Dungiven but i dont see why that is relevant. The only council sporting facilities in Dungiven is a hall and a soccer pitch which in unplayable half of the year.

We are happy to go to Limavady to use the pool but there are no outdoor training facilities in the town, you can't train young people in a place that is 10 miles away, they can't drive. If there was a 3g facility it would be used all year round.

Also the unionists keep quoting that there are only 2,000 people in Dungiven, id say the town and surrounding areas have close to twice that.

There is no doubt in my mind that if we were a unionist town this would have been granted long ago, pure sectarianism.

Orior

Quote from: Applesisapples on January 06, 2016, 10:28:12 AM
Once again given an opportunity to be magnanimous by inviting the ROI team to Belfast Unionists have illustrated that friendship and tolerance where it does exist can only ever be on their terms. Jim Rodgers pathetic attempts to be inclusive by inviting England and Wales demonstrates a total lack of respect for the nationalist majority in Belfast.

Billy Hutchinson was chipping in as well. He is on record years ago saying that he prefers to support England instead of N Ireland because he feels more affinity to the former.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

screenexile

Quote from: Orior on January 06, 2016, 11:26:25 AM

Billy Hutchinson was chipping in as well. He is on record years ago saying that he prefers to support England instead of N Ireland because he feels more affinity to the former.

It's a nonsense anyway NI already had a Civic Reception and I'm sure the Republic couldn't give a fiddlers about a Civic reception in Belfast... will they even go??

It's a case of SDLP/Shinners getting one over on the Unionists veiled as an attempt at our Shared Future. I don't think it means a lot in the grand scheme of things!

general_lee

Quote from: screenexile on January 06, 2016, 11:28:08 AM

It's a nonsense anyway NI already had a Civic Reception and I'm sure the Republic couldn't give a fiddlers about a Civic reception in Belfast... will they even go??

It's a case of SDLP/Shinners getting one over on the Unionists veiled as an attempt at our Shared Future. I don't think it means a lot in the grand scheme of things!
I honestly think the sdlp motion was based on genuine intentions. The ensuing hissy fit from unionists was probably foreseen as an added bonus

PS I'd say James McLean will be loving a wee function in belfast :)

johnneycool

Quote from: T Fearon on December 30, 2015, 10:53:12 PM
Leisure facilities are the biggest drain on resources,so I applaud any Councillor who treads warily in this area.

Er it's not legal to discriminate nowadays,even if a Public Representative was inclined to do so.

On a positive note,Portadown Public Park has been transformed as a result of a recent £5m European peace money refurbishment.This was opposed (a sham act) by the DUP on the basis that the park,located in a nationalist part of the town,with Garvaghy Road at one end,was a no go area (a lot of truth in this) for Protestants.A hasty u turn came about and since re opening a few months ago,happily the park,as it was in my young day,is being widely used by both communities.

Our colleagues in N Down and Ards weren't long spunking a few mill on a vanity project in Londonderry park, Newtownards on fully lit 3G surfaces (fit for soccer and hockey) and I see in the local rag that most nights they're lying empty as none of the clubs are willing to fork out the £50 per hour rate required to book them.
Some business plan put together for that one, eh!

In the meantime our club rates have went up from £900 per year to over £3K, yet no rates on Orange halls!!

imtommygunn

johnneycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 06, 2016, 12:09:34 PM
Can you not register as a charity??

That's even with our Charity status taken into consideration we've been told.

Tony Baloney

Billy also said their could be violence on the streets if this went ahead. A nod and wink to the corner boys in his area.

smelmoth

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 06, 2016, 01:23:03 PM

Billy also said their could be violence on the streets if this went ahead. A nod and wink to the corner boys in his area.
And there will enough ready and willing to wreak havoc but that is not to say that that there would be popular support for Billy and his boys

bennydorano

I thought it was pathetic & petty including the ROI tbh, i'd imagine they're panicking an invitation will actually arrive. All they'll be is a pawn in Belfast Council's pathetic game of Sectarianism - wtf would they want to part of it?

smelmoth

Quote from: bennydorano on January 06, 2016, 01:29:22 PM
I thought it was pathetic & petty including the ROI tbh, i'd imagine they're panicking an invitation will actually arrive. All they'll be is a pawn in Belfast Council's pathetic game of Sectarianism - wtf would they want to part of it?

I think your right. I can't imagine the RoI players would have much appetite for it.

As an aside RTE carried a story about a westminster vote that (if it went true) would likely lead to GSTQ being dropped as the NI sports anthem. I would imagine that IFA would be desperate for this to go through. The opportunity to ditch the tune based upon a decision made by somebody else would be the perfect opportunity.

Maguire01

Quote from: bennydorano on January 06, 2016, 01:29:22 PM
I'd agree. I doubt they'd want the invitation at all.