Six Nations 2012

Started by Karl Kennedy, July 09, 2011, 09:14:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

Anyone here at the game? maybe you can spot yourself in the crowd.

http://tag.huggity.com/fanpic/004-2012-aviva/

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

dec

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/rugby/2012/0208/1224311477756.html

QuoteRugby: Not only did Stephen Ferris escape any further punishment for his tackle on Ian Evans today, but the disciplinary panel that heard his case in London found a penalty should never have been awarded by referee Wayne Barnes, according to the Ireland management.

Ferris was yellow-carded for his tackle on the Welsh lock in the final minute of the Six Nations clash at the Aviva Stadium on Sunday, a decision that led to Leigh Halfpenny kicking the match-winning penalty with seconds to spare.

The flanker was subsequently cited by Italian match commissioner Achille Reali, but cleared of any wrongdoing today and is free to face France in Paris on Saturday night...

For all the criticism the team received in the wake of the two-point defeat, it has been found the officials played a significant role in Ireland's demise on two occasions.

The first, the sin-binning of Bradley Davies for a recklessly dangerous dump tackle on Donnacha Ryan in the 65th minute, was also shown up to be bad call, not just by Barnes, but from touch judge Dave Pearson, who will referee Ireland's game in Paris this weekend.

Pearson intervened after the tackle and described what he saw to Barnes as a yellow card offence. However, prior to Ferris's hearing today Davies was banned for seven weeks by the panel, a sanction that was reduced by five weeks after taking Davies's admission of guilt, his previous good disciplinary record and his conduct at the hearing in into account.

We wuz robbed.

Myles Na G.

We might've sneaked it, if decisions had gone our way, but Wales were the better side. They had the lion's share of the ball and they controlled the tempo of the game. If they'd had Halfpenny taking the kicks from the start, they'd have won with points to spare. I don't think that means Ireland are suddenly a bad team. I think it's just that this Welsh side are shaping up to be a bit special.

Hound

Quote from: Myles Na G. on February 08, 2012, 09:33:11 PM
We might've sneaked it, if decisions had gone our way, but Wales were the better side. They had the lion's share of the ball and they controlled the tempo of the game. If they'd had Halfpenny taking the kicks from the start, they'd have won with points to spare. I don't think that means Ireland are suddenly a bad team. I think it's just that this Welsh side are shaping up to be a bit special.
I really don't buy this Wales are a better side stuff.

Sure if they had got a legitimate penalty at the end or knocked over a DG I would admit they deserved it. But if the game had been allowed to continue after Ferris's tackle, and our lads forced a turnover, then we would have deserved the victory.

A major reason Wales were camped in our half for so long in the 1st half was because they couldn't score! We were actually pretty incisive when we did get the ball.

Overall, very little between the two sides. They certainly have the edge with their manager though.

Hound

Yachvilli out injured for France, so Parra is in. Not noticeable difference, although the unlikeable and less good Dupuy is now on the bench.

Thornley predicting just the one change for Ireland - Earls for McFadden.

Dunno how he can justify O'Callaghan ahead of Ryan.
I also think McFadden would be unlucky to lose out before D'Arcy. Though Earls defence is worst than both, so hate the thought of him in the centre. If he's playing it should be on the wing (and opposite Clerc rather than Malzieu!)

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

Mayo4Sam

How is Darcy still on the team? He's been below par for 2/3 years now, lifted it for the world cup but his day is done, a gret player for Ireland, albeit without the tries to show for it.

Not sure how we can bring in a player who struggles to defend and cannot pass, if Earls is to play it has to be on the wing and we have two better wingers. We need two centres badly
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

AZOffaly

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on February 09, 2012, 03:09:35 PM
How is Darcy still on the team? He's been below par for 2/3 years now, lifted it for the world cup but his day is done, a gret player for Ireland, albeit without the tries to show for it.

Not sure how we can bring in a player who struggles to defend and cannot pass, if Earls is to play it has to be on the wing and we have two better wingers. We need two centres badly

Earls' position might be Centre long term, but not now. He might be effective with Downey beside him as the ox next season for Munster, but his tackling is going to be cruelly exposed on Saturday I think. Hopefully I'm wrong, and I like him as a player, but he's not an international (nor indeed a provincial) centre at the moment.

Mayo4Sam

I don't think he ever will be, he had learned nothing about passing or offloading in the 3/4 years he has been with Munster & Ireland
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Bord na Mona man

Unfortunately 6 days is too short a time to start chopping the team.

If a holistic approach was taken to the backline and the better players were put in more key positions, it would be O'Gara at 10, Sexton 12 and Bowe 13. Earls and Trimble, or whoever else on the wings.
However its too late to completely re-arrange it at this stage.

At least we know France will probably attempt to target the centres in a big way and we can set up the defence accordingly. I'd be surprised if Darcy and Earls are left isolated when France are on the attack. You'll see other players designated to help defend those channels.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on February 09, 2012, 03:15:26 PM
I don't think he ever will be, he had learned nothing about passing or offloading in the 3/4 years he has been with Munster & Ireland

Very seldom at Munster in fairness. A lot of time on the wing or full back.

Keane

Earls doesn't have the ability or inclination to be a good enough passer to play at 13.

He's not good enough to play wing either. He's a one trick pony - gets the ball, sidesteps off his left, every time. Doesn't have the lightening pace he's often attributed with either. He's a decent player and a very good finisher, but he's not really up to much at International level.

screenexile

QuoteJim Neilly

I have just read this e-mail, which was sent to the IRB yesterday by a young Mr Matt Lander and personally, I think it's a thing of beauty.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Hello IRB.

My name is Matt and I am 27 and a half years old. I enjoy walking my dog, walking my wife, reading the twilight books and watching rugby. I watch as much rugby as I can. Often I have to cover my eyes because I'm afraid someone will get hurt, but the adrenaline this fear gives me is half the reason I enjoy the game. I am writing to you because I think you may have made a grave error. I was searching the interweb while I was at work (totally on a break) and I was looking at the French team for this Saturday's 6 nations fixture against Ireland. There was nothing strange about this, aside from the uncomfortable and shameful feeling that washes over me when the camera does a close up of Dimitri Szarzewski. Imagine my shock, then, when I noticed the referee for this game was Dave Pearson!! This has led me to believe that you, IRB, are one of two things;

1 - You are just a group of normal guys who have made a common error - an oversight. You are so busy enjoying your luck, by living off a sport that you do not play, that you haven't even realised that Mr Pearson is still an accredited referee, and in charge of one of the biggest games of the championship. You probably assumed that by now Mr Pearson was officiating games of the correct standard for his ability - ideally the North Tyneside mixed tag under 9s.

2 - You are a twisted, sadistic group of former people, who have decided that Irish rugby is evil and must be punished for yet to be named crimes against humanity. You have set up shop in Dublin as to get an insider's view on how best to bring down the IRFU.

This leads us to the offender in chief, Mr Pearson. I have never met someone before who has selective sight. In fact, I'm not sure if it is an officially recognised medical condition. When I have finished with this email, I'll contact some people I know in medical research to check it out. You never know, we may have discovered something here. "Why did you walk into that lamppost? are you ok?" "I'm fine, it happens all the time. I've got Pearsons". That is a conversation you could potentially hear in the next few years. But I digress. Did you see the Clermont Auvergne vs Ulster game in the final pool stage of the Heineken cup? I did. At the time I was confused, as I was under the impression that tackling someone who did not have the ball, was not part of a ruck, and indeed was on the defending team was some sort of offence. Selective sight Pearson disagreed, and Ulster's home quarter final was kaput. But apparently shafting a province was merely an appetizer in Pearson's meal of inadequacy. The main course was saved for Lansdowne road on Sunday. Bradley Davies assault on Donncha Ryan happened right in front of Mr Pearson. This must have put him in quite the pickle. He obviously didn't have selective sight as a viable option this time. I can only imagine the sweat running down his brow as he approached Wayne Barnes, and the sheer relief he felt when Barnes said he didn't see anything. This was Pearson's opportunity. He could downplay the incident, and make sure Wales finished the game with a full compliment of players. It should be noted that this does not exonerate Barnes, who should have treated Pearson's recommendation for a yellow card the way I treat my nephew's recommendation of angel delight for dinner - laughter and pity. Quite how anyone can have the testicular fortitude to recommend a yellow card for something that qualifies as Actual Bodily Harm is actually impressive. You may need to provide him with a wheelbarrow for his massive balls to keep up with play come Saturday. I am curious as to how Pearson can complete this trilogy of heartbreak, as he is doubtless keen to do. How can he top last Sunday? Is he going to trip Tommy Bowe? Stab Sean O'Brien at half time? Pepper spray Paul O'Connell during the coin toss?

I look forward in anticipation of your response and the naming of a new referee for Saturday post haste.

Yours faithfully,

Matt Lander

trileacman

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on February 09, 2012, 03:37:00 PM
Unfortunately 6 days is too short a time to start chopping the team.

O'Gara at 10, Sexton 12 and Bowe 13.

Not trying to write off your idea but defensively that's as weak a ten-12-13 axis as you can manage. Sexton would in fact be the best defender of the three and none of them are particularly noted for throwing themselves into the ruck/counter ruck in the way that O'Driscoll and O'Darcy at their peak used to do. You would have a midfield content to yield yards and quick ball to the opposition.

Whilst the idea might be worth a try it is not the holy trinity of Irish rugby that it is made out to be.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014