The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynchbhoy

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 02, 2008, 03:45:32 PM
QuoteI think Gerrard has played well under Rafa, maybe not as brilliant as he once was but maybe he's getting more attention than previously (chelsea had makelele all over him like a rash on wednesday). I actually think finding a right position for gerrard is one of Rafa's biggest problems

Gerrard has scored 22 goals this season. 23 two seasons ago also under Rafa. All Gerrard's best season's have been under Benitez.
imo he isnt, irrespective on the amount of goals scored
playing out of position way too often and not as effective as he could be.
imo

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: bingobus on May 02, 2008, 09:39:57 AM
Quote from: Norf Tyrone on May 01, 2008, 11:58:13 PM
Quote from: bingobus on April 30, 2008, 10:59:42 PM
Deserved to lose first half, deserved to win the second half. In the end mistakes are punished at this level and they were tonight.

Thought the Hypia challenge was a peno for us, ref looked like he was giving it but didn't.

At the moment couldn;t give a toss about the final. Roll on Euro 2008.

Torres was obviously taken off with a hamstring injury that will keep him out of Euro's and give him good rest for next year.  ;) Need two full backs, two wingers and a second striker of quaility. All who started on the wings and FB's can go. Keep them for cover maybe. Crouch I'm sure will leave, at his own request.

Finally, how plastic are Chelsea's fans. It was like a concert trying to get an atmorphere.

Destiny - Romans Moscow.

What? I was at the Bridge last night, and everyone was in agreement that it was the greatest atmosphere the place has ever seen!

I see the seasonal circle of this thread has gone full tilt too. Optimism in August, to who's in/who's out in April!

What i meant was that the atmosphere seemed to very organised and forced. Plastic falgs, some singer on field waving a scarf as the teams came out, songs directed at Liverpool supporters - "Your support is f*cking shit", "Murderers", "In your merseyside slumps"....great team support there.

I'm sure the place was buzzing but if it takes songs played over the tannoy, free flags, and random singer on the pitch to get the place going on a CL semi then i'm struggling to see the attraction. Don't get me wrong, I could hear the noise at certain times but after Liverpool equalised the only Chelsea song I heard for about 15 mins was "Murderers"!!! WTF!

Anfield can be a quiet place on a league game but at least for the big games it normally pumping and the songs generally relate to the players, the club, the history, the manager...not the opposotion. Even at Man United game last year, I was beside the kop in the main stand and the Gary Neville song got sung about twice, and that was it against our biggest rivals.

Well done, by the way. Porb deserved it on the night and were due a bit of luck against us. Best of luck in final and may the best team win (cough...chelsea.cough)  ;D

The flags are a poxy idea. It's a wee bit of the result of how detached supporters are from the people running the club, indeed all clubs. The tourists love the flags, but the 'real' fans just bin them.

As regards the nature of the songs...so what! So some of the songs aren't PC, but geez boys this is football! The problem with the game is that it has become too sanitised. The same issue exists where fans gave an opposing player grief all day, but he gives some back and you have whinging feckers complaining about 'inciting a riot'! Liverpool fans were not reticent about their anti-Chelsea songs as well. Indeed I remember Chelsea fans commenting a few years back about being at Anfield and the stand alongside the away end (The dug out side), were all giving it the helicopter thing. It happened not long after Matthew Harding died. A bit sick...but it's hardly a Chelsea only thing!

The songs over the tannoy were at full time.. I thought they leant themselves to the atmosphere, and songs like BITC, and liquidator have been played at Chelsea for years, well early 70s anyhow. Again someone can correct me, but I don't think we are the only club to play songs over the tannoy pre and post game. Indeed IIRC on my only visit to Anfield (Phil Babb's collision with the post), I am nearly sure YNWA was played as the teams came out.

The mute button wasn't pressed too long after Torres scored. Certainly for a few minutes the crowd was gripped by fear, I know I was! Indeed I thought the support would stay nervously silent for a period, and that would get to the players. However 5 mins later, and the crowd were back behind Chelsea again!

Chelsea have a disease that exists at most clubs (Chelsea and United probably being most afflicted), and that's the tourist. However underneath this, there is a passionate, loyal support with the same emotions as any other club.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: lynchbhoy on May 02, 2008, 05:06:38 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 02, 2008, 03:45:32 PM
QuoteI think Gerrard has played well under Rafa, maybe not as brilliant as he once was but maybe he's getting more attention than previously (chelsea had makelele all over him like a rash on wednesday). I actually think finding a right position for gerrard is one of Rafa's biggest problems

Gerrard has scored 22 goals this season. 23 two seasons ago also under Rafa. All Gerrard's best season's have been under Benitez.
imo he isnt, irrespective on the amount of goals scored
playing out of position way too often and not as effective as he could be.
imo

What is his best position?

His best two seasons for Liverpool came one year when he played mainly on the right wing and this season when he's played behind the striker.

He's not really a conventional central midfielder.

AFS

Quote from: bingobus on May 02, 2008, 03:43:16 PM

In - Harper, Alves, Barry, Bentley, Aimar, Villa.
Out - Intadje, Riise, Finnan, Benayoun, Pennat, Crouch, Voronin, few younsters.

How much money do you think Liverpool have? That lot would cost upwards of £80million. In the real world Liverpool will be looking at picking up probably only 2, 3 max, big money targets this summer.

ExiledGael

Crazy list of outs there. In this day you need a seriously strong squad and Benitez will keep almost all of those, getting rid of probably only those who insist on a move (probably Crouch & Kewell at this stage).

stiffler

If Crouch, Riise, Carson, Voronin, Pennant, Alonso, Kewell, Itanje and Finnan are all to go, i would expect around 40 million in total for these players.

Assuming there is no more money available(unlikely) i would suggest signing (limiting my choice to the premiership):

Gareth Barry (£10 million)
Bentley (£10 million)
Santa Cruz (£9 million)
Bridge (£7 million)

Other possible striking targets from the Premiership:

Jones (sunderland)
Ashton (west ham)
Keane (spurs)
Martins (newcastle)
Zarate (Birmingham)

An experienced back up keeper should also be signed.

There are a number of young players in the reserves that deserve a run out in the next few games with a view to obtaining a place in the first team squad next season. Insua, Plessis and Nemeth all have the potential to be top top players.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

corn02

Good post Norf, although I do think Stamford Bridge is very quiet. But liek most clubs it does have an amotive loyal suppoert. As you say Unied and Cheslsea have been affected by day trippers (Dont like that term because there are plenty who go over for the day that are as committed as a local lad). Liverpool are going the same way.

Cameras at the ready lads, Gerrards aking a corner.

Minder

Lads i may have missed it but has it been mentioned why Torres was taken off on Wed night? As for "day trippers" it is not essential for a fan to live within 15 miles of the stadium, some lads from Ireland that have lived in Liverpool/Manchester seem to think they become an all knowing authority on the team
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: corn02 on May 02, 2008, 07:37:59 PM
Good post Norf, although I do think Stamford Bridge is very quiet. But liek most clubs it does have an amotive loyal suppoert. As you say Unied and Cheslsea have been affected by day trippers (Dont like that term because there are plenty who go over for the day that are as committed as a local lad). Liverpool are going the same way.

Cameras at the ready lads, Gerrards aking a corner.

Ha ha. Funny you say that. For the first time ever I was seated at the corner flag for a game on Weds night, and I was very aware of this. Thankfully there was no camera crew that I could see anyhow.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Yes I Would

Quote from: Minder on May 02, 2008, 08:53:58 PM
Lads i may have missed it but has it been mentioned why Torres was taken off on Wed night? As for "day trippers" it is not essential for a fan to live within 15 miles of the stadium, some lads from Ireland that have lived in Liverpool/Manchester seem to think they become an all knowing authority on the team

Rafa peddled some line after the game about a tight hamstring, which i thought seemed a bit bizarre so late in the game!Even with a tight hammer, the man should have benn left to float around with Crouchy fired on up front!

Chrisowc

The Kid has a hamstring injury.  I fear the next time we see him he will be in a Spain shirt.

Steve 08 & Bingo sum it up for me.  Well said lads.  All this about changing the manager does my head in.

One thing Lynchbhoy said about Rafa not fitting in with the club.  I would say the opposite.  I think Rafa fits in perfectly with the club.  He respects it's culture, knows it's history and behaves as a Liverpool manager should.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

Chrisowc

Quote from: Yes I Would on May 02, 2008, 11:31:17 PM

Rafa peddled some line after the game about a tight hamstring, which i thought seemed a bit bizarre so late in the game!Even with a tight hammer, the man should have benn left to float around with Crouchy fired on up front!

One problem.  Babbel was the 3rd sub.

As for getting a tight hamstring so late in the game? 100 minutes of football on a heavy soaked pitch is always likely to cause a muscle injury.  Remember Gerrard getting cramp after about 75 mins?

Yes I Would

Instead of Babel. Crouch IMO should have been sent in. I felt that the kitchen sink should have been fired at Chelsea for those final 20 mins and with whole season resting on it a half fit Torres carrying a tight hammer would still be our most lethal striker!

Chrisowc

I disagree with Babbel v Crouch.  In an ideal world it would have been great to have the option to bring both on but if having to make a choice I'd go with Babbel.  Simply because of his pace.

We are talking about the Semi Final of the European Cup.  You need 11 players as fit as they can possibly be.  How many other players were we carrying in extra time?

J70

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 02, 2008, 03:03:39 PM
QuoteLiverpool make formal Barry bid
Eurosport - Fri, 02 May 14:12:00 2008
Liverpool have made a bid to sign Aston Villa captain Gareth Barry in a cash plus player exchange deal.

The Reds formally contacted Villa on Thursday with their bid for the England midfielder.

There has been speculation for the past fortnight that 27-year-old Barry has emerged as one of Rafael Benitez's major summer transfer tasrgets.

Benitez wants Barry to form a partnership with his England colleague and close friend Steven Gerrard.

Barry, who celebrates the 10th anniversary of his Villa debut next week, has made no secret of his desire to play Champions League football.

He is on more than £40,000 a week at Villa and could come close to doubling that if he moved to Anfield or Chelsea who have also been linked with the player.

The former Brighton trainee has already expressed a desire to hold talks with Villa manager Martin O'Neill to assess what his transfer plans are for the 2008-2009 campaign.

Villa are challenging strongly for a UEFA Cup spot but Barry wants to see whether Villa are in a position to move to the next level.

O'Neill pulled off a masterstroke in persuading Barry to sign a new four-year deal when he took charge of Villa in the summer of 2006.

But he may find it harder to persuade Barry to sign a new contract and to convince him to stay with the midlands club.

As predicted, money plus probably Carson.  Would it be wothwhile, I wonder throwing Riise in as well and doing a straight swap? 

I know that Barry has had a good season, but is he the sort of player that is going to seriously improve Liverpool? He's been around a long time at this stage, and while a very good Premiership player, he hasn't really had the leading clubs sniffing around before and has never been a regular at international level. Maybe he will be a good buy, but I've seen too many Nicky Barmby's and Christian Ziege's and Fernando Morientes' come to Liverpool with even bigger reputations and not make the grade.