BBC & UTV - shame on you

Started by Hereiam, August 03, 2007, 09:35:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hereiam

Thougth this topic needed to be started in this section to get an overall view. Both the BBC & UTV have decided to end their mid week programs covering the all ireland due to lack of viewers. Can you fu*kin believe it, talk about equality. This should not be allowed to happen, christ the biggest sporting competion on this Island and these two broadcasters are just going to ignore it. Its a bit of a coincidence that on Tuesday this prod from fermanagh comes out in public to say he was been abused and then all of a sudden they are pullin their coverage. This stinks as usual.

Bogball XV

Or maybe it's because there was a lack of viewers?  How many of the people complaining about this decision ever actually watched the program?
The disgrace is the GAA's decision 2 years ago to sell the rights for games highlights to pay per view companies, when Free to Air rte is not available throughout the north.

Hardy

It's a good trick, you have to admit. Make the thing so awful that nobody would watch it. Then pull it because nobody's watching it!

Evil Genius

Quote from: Hereiam on August 03, 2007, 09:35:53 AM
Thougth this topic needed to be started in this section to get an overall view. Both the BBC & UTV have decided to end their mid week programs covering the all ireland due to lack of viewers. Can you fu*kin believe it, talk about equality. This should not be allowed to happen, christ the biggest sporting competion on this Island and these two broadcasters are just going to ignore it. Its a bit of a coincidence that on Tuesday this prod from fermanagh comes out in public to say he was been abused and then all of a sudden they are pullin their coverage. This stinks as usual.

Apparently they're going to replace it with a Docu-Drama telling the real story of how Princess Diana was actually murdered by a dark-haired 20 stone man in a white, rhinestoned jumpsuit, who sang "Love me Tender" as he made his escape back to his chipshop on a racehorse which former Royal Butler, Paul Burrell, swears was Shergar.

Both the Beeb and UTV feel they'll attract an even bigger audience of sad, crackpot conspiracy theorists with this than they'll get from GAA fans... ::)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

nifan

You know you could be right - that  "prod from fermanagh" that utv and bbc placed as an undercover agent, playing gaa all his life, has finally succeeded in his nefarious scheme

snatter

If they're not up to the job of providing a decent midweek magazine programme, surely the obvious solution is to buy in some type of breaking ball programme from rte. Or a co-production or something.

An Fear Rua

Cant they apply for a Lottery grant, seeing as the program is for an ethnic minority?
Its Grim up North

EC Unique

Quote from: nifan on August 03, 2007, 11:11:25 AM
You know you could be right - that  "prod from fermanagh" that utv and bbc placed as an undercover agent, playing gaa all his life, has finally succeeded in his nefarious scheme

I think he is a bit of a whinger. You don't see Catholics that play in the Isish league crying on the TV about the abuse they get on a weekly basis, they just get on with it. And don't come back with the 'sure they gat paid for it' crap as their wages would hardly keep them on chewing gum! Get over it, say nothing and it will eventually go away. Cry on the TV and leave means they have won.

Bogball XV

Quote from: EC Unique on August 03, 2007, 11:19:25 AM
Quote from: nifan on August 03, 2007, 11:11:25 AM

I think he is a bit of a whinger. You don't see Catholics that play in the Isish league crying on the TV about the abuse they get on a weekly basis, they just get on with it. And don't come back with the 'sure they gat paid for it' crap as their wages would hardly keep them on chewing gum! Get over it, say nothing and it will eventually go away. Cry on the TV and leave means they have won.
Dear jaysus....

Evil Genius

Quote from: EC Unique on August 03, 2007, 11:19:25 AM
You don't see Catholics that play in the Isish league crying on the TV about the abuse they get on a weekly basis, they just get on with it. And don't come back with the 'sure they gat paid for it' crap as their wages would hardly keep them on chewing gum! Get over it, say nothing and it will eventually go away. Cry on the TV and leave means they have won.

And the "Whataboutery and Mopery - Outstanding Contribution" Title passes from The Fat Bigot Fearon to a new Champion, EC Unique.

But I'm sure it won't be long before TFB Fearon comes back with a new challenge...
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

EC Unique

I think you boys have missed my point. ::) By crying :'( about the situation on TV and giving up the sport he has given in to the abuse and let his abusers win. If he had kept his head down all this will fade away sooner or later.

Evil Genius

Quote from: EC Unique on August 03, 2007, 05:39:21 PM
I think you boys have missed my point. ::) By crying :'( about the situation on TV and giving up the sport he has given in to the abuse and let his abusers win. If he had kept his head down all this will fade away sooner or later.

I apologise, since I did, indeed, miss your point.

Mind you, now that I understand it, I think it's idiotic... ???
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

magickingdom

Quote from: Hereiam on August 03, 2007, 09:35:53 AM

is that really neccessary? beam me fockin up

GweylTah

Actually, the unsurprising revelation that Darren Graham was and had been continually been verbally abused by GAA-playing and supporting bigots wasn't the big story - the really big story was that they had found ONE Protestant in the North who was playing the game.

One too many for plenty of people, clearly.

>:(

GweylTah

You need to look at this from UTV's and BBC NI's point of view, in covering GAA they already know that probably 60% of their normal potential audience will avoid thse programme straight-off because the subject matter simply isn't for or of them.  Of the remaining 40% or so, some people aren't interested in sport or even pseudo-sport like GAA, so the target audience is quite small. If they aren't going to support the programmes concerned, the BBC has to consider what's value for money and UTV has to consider its advertisers. Neither broadcaster is a charity.