BBC & UTV - shame on you

Started by Hereiam, August 03, 2007, 09:35:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: GweylTah on August 04, 2007, 12:09:38 PM
You need to look at this from UTV's and BBC NI's point of view, in covering GAA they already know that probably 60% of their normal potential audience will avoid thse programme straight-off because the subject matter simply isn't for or of them.  Of the remaining 40% or so, some people aren't interested in sport or even pseudo-sport like GAA, so the target audience is quite small. If they aren't going to support the programmes concerned, the BBC has to consider what's value for money and UTV has to consider its advertisers. Neither broadcaster is a charity.

Jezuz, I thought you might still be coming down from your happy pills at event horizon last night, obviously not after reading the shite you just posted! pseudo-sport catch a grip even by your wind up standards that is lame.
Tbc....

nifan

Im against removing  sports from television - we need kids to see the stuff and be inspired to play the games.

Milk cup, gaa, ni games
all good in my opinion - less of the tribalism

stew

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on August 04, 2007, 12:20:04 PM
You need to look at this from UTV's and BBC NI's point of view, in covering GAA they already know that probably 60% of their normal potential audience will avoid thse programme straight-off because the subject matter simply isn't for or of them.  Of the remaining 40% or so, some people aren't interested in sport or even pseudo-sport like GAA, so the target audience is quite small. If they aren't going to support the programmes concerned, the BBC has to consider what's value for money and UTV has to consider its advertisers. Neither broadcaster is a charity.

Jezuz, I thought you might still be coming down from your happy pills at event horizon last night, obviously not after reading the shite you just posted! pseudo-sport catch a grip even by your wind up standards that is lame.

Gweyltah is that the best you can do?????

Agree with Nifan about sports on TV.

There is no excuse whatsoever for the mickey mouse coverage the GAA get from the TV stations given the games immense popularity...............and gweyltah there are a lot of left footers that watch gaelic games, they just don't let on. ;)
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

darbyo

Quotewhen Free to Air rte is not available throughout the north

Excuse my ignorance, but is this true? the BBC/UTV have been available since the 80's in the other provinces. If RTE isn't available up North why isn't it and why isn't sorted out? I always watched the championship even though it wasn't great, infact it's Ulster bias was one of it's major failings IMO as I'd imagin most Ulster viewers would be as interested in how the rest of the championship was going as they would in how the Ulster championship progressed.

snatter

Quote from: darbyo on August 05, 2007, 12:11:49 AM
Quotewhen Free to Air rte is not available throughout the north

Excuse my ignorance, but is this true? the BBC/UTV have been available since the 80's in the other provinces. If RTE isn't available up North why isn't it and why isn't sorted out? I always watched the championship even though it wasn't great, infact it's Ulster bias was one of it's major failings IMO as I'd imagin most Ulster viewers would be as interested in how the rest of the championship was going as they would in how the Ulster championship progressed.

Youn only get rte in the north if you either
1. subscribe to one of the paid sky packages
2. are lucky enough to live in an area that gets a strong enough overspill signal from one of rte's transmitters.

If / when rte move to digital, for many if not most in the north, the second option is likely to disappear.

The failure of BBC NI / UTV to broadcast any comprehensive (ie all ireland) coverage of gaelic games is one more reason why rte should be made free to air in the north. After all, premiership magazine programmes in the uk cover all teams, not just those within a given region.

The good friday agreement fell short by allowing TnG to be broadcast, but not allowing rte.
The shinners and sdlp have made no headway in getting this sorted.
I've never understood why copyright issues have allegedly stopped getting rte in the north, but have never been a problem broadcasting british tv in the south. Seems wrong to me.

If bbc's freesat goes ahead, then surely there's a chance for rte to use its leverage to get rte broadcast into the north (and possibly the rest of the uk).

Awec

What are you on about mate? We don't even get bloody highlights of the irish league for feck sake, all we get is a 5 minute stint of how Linfield did at 5 oclock on a saturday. Bloody cheek.  >:(

BBC NI and UTV are pathetic at local coverage, for all sports.

MW

Quote from: 5iveTimes on August 03, 2007, 11:02:10 PM
Wasnt that 4 hours of LIVE Milk Cup football absolutely riveting? Cant wait for the Irish League to start.

Aye, that whole Milk Cup/Irish League connection... :-\

ExiledGael

Quote from: MW on August 05, 2007, 09:46:51 PM
Wasnt that 4 hours of LIVE Milk Cup football absolutely riveting? Cant wait for the Irish League to start.

There's one big connection, they're both shite to watch

Awec

Quote from: 5iveTimes on August 05, 2007, 11:48:54 PM
Quote from: MW on August 05, 2007, 09:46:51 PM

I think the word you are looking for is soccer  ;)
Its a poorly attended sport in NI, but it gets the lions shre of the TV coverage.

You're kidding, right?  :D

Armagh CĂșchulainns

As stated the BBC Has decided to pull out 'The Championship' program due to lack of viewers (im not mentioning UTV Becuase they are wasters as far as GAA is concerned)

An attempt should be made to re-invent the show to include:

- highlights/analysis/predictions from All-Ireland Football and Hurling Championships - something which is already done but why would anyone who has access to RTE watch highlights on a monday/tuesday when the Sunday GAme covers all aspects on a sunday night.

- As the BBC has so many cameras available (we know they have because they can manage to get highlights of all Irish PremierLeague Matches) well why not send these cameras, which are not in use as much as when the GAA is in full championshup flight to cover Internal County Senior/Intermediate/Junior Championships, i know that i would be interested in watching other county championships from other counties as im sure other people would be. Also by doing this you could increase awareness to all tv viewers to GAA matches across all Ulster and overall increase its profile.

By doing this as well as having weekly competitions, actual text-ins where peoples texts can be read across the bottom of the screen and possibly covering other GAA events in Ulster including  Ulster Feile football and hurling, All Ireland Feile football and hurling, Handball, Ladies Football and Camogie.

This is by no means an impossible task for the BBC and one which im sure people would enjoy watching as i know one viewer who would appreciate it, ME
Its all about the Hurling.

magickingdom

any particular reason why you spend so much time on a gaa board? you have absolutely no interest in anything here. do you have a life?

theskull1

No reference to yesterdays game in croke park on the BBC NI website frontpage. See the swifts had a great result, so it's not just an anti Tyrone thing.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Son_of_Sam

Your some fool, you know that.

theskull1

took a bit of looking but I see "reference" to the event happening on that link

http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/

but not here
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera