wine

Started by ludermor, November 22, 2007, 10:18:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

el_cuervo_fc

Quote from: hardstation on November 22, 2007, 11:04:40 PM
Châteauneuf-du-Pape went down well on the 'Get you up in the morning' thread.

There's a wine you can get called Chat-en-Oeuf

Basically its a similar blend of wine to Châteauneuf-du-Pape and is made from the same grape, Usually retails for around £5.  Very similar tastes

Billys Boots

To avoid hangovers, drink French or Italian wine - they're not stuffed full of sugar (to speed up fermentation) and preservatives (to kill off the nasty bugs that develop as a result of speeded up fermentation).  Australian and Chilean wines, especially, will make you as sick as a dog.

I'm very partial to Bordeaux region products meself - had a 2003 Haut Medoc with the dinner last night.  :P
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

under the bar

OK heres a tip for a half price box of wine.

Go to Virgin Wines website.  Put your vino of choice in your shopping basket.   Go to checkout and register all your details but before paying exit the site. 

Within a few days Virgin will email you aksing why you decided not to buy with a 50% off code to entice you back.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Gnevin on November 22, 2007, 10:34:28 PM
Shocking stuff . Give me a pint on plain anyday

Used to think the same, now I love the stuff (well red anyway). Red is acknowledged to be the wine of choice for Porter drinkers apparently. I'd suggest starting off with a Cabernet Savignon or a Shiraz, McGuigans do a good one. At the moment I'm on the lookout for Argentinan Malbacs, had a bottle in a restaurant in Glasgow recently and I'm still dreaming about the stuff...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

john mcgill

Clos des Papes 2005, à Châteauneuf-du-Pape.  The wine of the year!

rrhf

Had a bottle of it in the bath l;ast year.  Really nice stuff.

john mcgill

Pouilly-Fumé 'Les Ferrées' 2006 Marcel Sautejeau on Majestic at £5.99 a bottle Great value

Snowed Under

Quote from: rrhf on November 23, 2007, 01:34:38 PM
Had a bottle of it in the bath l;ast year.  Really nice stuff.

Was that to celebrate having a wash?

ludermor

Bod Mor,
How would the tastes of the marlborough region be to the refined pal of an Erris man?
Seems to be very good deals available , must look into it.
Id be a big porter drinker myself but am weaning off it, especialyy if i feel the urge to drink in the house. Cannot touch a can of lager, bulmers will always be ok for me but wine is slowly taking over.

fred

if you want to treat yourself try a bottle of grand reserve rioja, about £ 15-£16. very smooth and velvety with a subtle hint of spice and caramel, delicious. ;D

FL/MAYO

Quote from: ludermor on November 22, 2007, 10:18:25 PM
Anyone know anything about wine, deliveries from overseas etc. I was in South Africa last year and done a few wine tours and we were pushed big time into buying from the wineries when we were there. At the time didn't drink much but that has changed in the last year. So heading to New Zealand in a few weeks and was wondering is it worth buying direct over there or buy on line somewhere. Hopefully someone has some info!

Don't make the same mistake that I made, I was in South Africa 3 years ago and decided to bring some wine that I liked back to the states. I flew all the way back to the states via Ireland with about 5 bottles carefully packed away. The first morning that I was back to the states I went down to the local supermarket for some shopping and there in the wine aisle was the same wine and vintage at approx. the same price that I had just brought all the way back, I didnt know weather to laugh or cry.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Billys Boots on November 23, 2007, 09:10:32 AM
To avoid hangovers, drink French or Italian wine - they're not stuffed full of sugar (to speed up fermentation) and preservatives (to kill off the nasty bugs that develop as a result of speeded up fermentation).  Australian and Chilean wines, especially, will make you as sick as a dog.

I'm very partial to Bordeaux region products meself - had a 2003 Haut Medoc with the dinner last night.  :P
Superb
Am into the old Bordeaux reds a this last wee while - last year it was Chianti riserva.
The common denominator is that 2003 is the key year.
It was apparantly a great year for Euro wines.
some lowly 2003 red vinos are bette than even some of the better riserva type wines of latter years.

Medoc,haut medoc, st julien,st. Emmillion, graves all are cracking wines but not that cheap.

Tesco do a nice little 2003 Graves bordeaux (a yellow label on it) for €13 I think it is. Prob about £8.

As well as the Bordeaux 2003's few others I'd plump for - Dunnes stores - 2003 chianti riserva castellani classico, Tesco 2003 malbec riserva- Argentina, Australia - peter lehman 2003 shiraz, wolf blas cab-sauv presidents label, lindemans bin 55 shiraz

Whites - not a huge white wine fan but
Evans and tate Chardonnay  from Margaret river, actually any chardonnay or riesling from Margaret river area in australia, or white wine from Malborough New Zealand, plus french dependables such as polly-fuisse, sancerre , chablis (just dont but the chepaest on the shelf - buy mid range and you usually wont be disappointed), Eaglehawk chardonnay - australia which is owned by wolf blas - or even the wolf blas chardonay presidents selection...

I need to go out to buy 5 or 6 bottles of bordeaux tonight as I finished off the last bottle the other night !

flippin alco !

Billys Boots

QuoteMedoc,haut medoc, st julien,st. Emmillion, graves all are cracking wines but not that cheap.

I made the wine sales in France in early November, and picked up a case of 2005 Pomerol for €8 a bottle, and a case of 2003 St. Emilion for €7 a bottle.  Magic.

A nice tip for a winter wine (Cotes du Rhone) is the Sainsbury 2005 Crozes-Hermitage - should pick it up for around £5 (€7.30) a bottle in Newry/Hillsborough.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

john mcgill

In Saturday's London Times, Jane MacQuitty is listing her top 100 wines for the winter.  I think this Saturday has the best wines under a tenner.  I like her as a wine writer as she has no paid allegiance to any supermarket or store.

saffron sam2

Quote from: Bod Mor on November 23, 2007, 12:32:54 AM
Quote from: ludermor on November 22, 2007, 10:18:25 PM
So heading to New Zealand in a few weeks and was wondering is it worth buying direct over there or buy on line somewhere. Hopefully someone has some info!

I was over in NZ in April for a wedding and sampled some of the stuff in the Marlborough region (North of the South Island). There was a quarry load of wine drank at the same wedding indeed!
New Zealand wine sales are booming worldwide, some lovely wines to be got in the area. They do lovely souvignon blancs. In the wineries they mix two kinds of white grapes due to the type of climate New Zealand has.

Most of the wineries we went to said they shipped wine worldwide. It would probably be best to sort it out when you get there.

Got into the Marlborough sauvignon blanc a while back and haven't felt the need to move beyond that. Having a glass or two now as it happens.

Don't drink red, red wine, it goes to my head.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet