2016 Summer Olympics Rio

Started by DrinkingHarp, May 24, 2016, 06:12:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

I the lack of a single post expressing sympathy or support for Pat Hickey very interesting.

MWWSI 2017

Applesisapples

When I was at primary school and impressionable, many decades ago I was glued to the Olympics...no other live sports. As for this Olympics, all I watched live was the Golf and I packed that in when it was apparent Rose was going to win, I only watched to see him get beaten (disappointed!). I caught up on the replays of the fights and the Irish Medal wins. The Olympics have travelled so far from the ideal they aren't really worth the effort. The hurling at the weekend is exactly what the Olympics should be about. Why are we surprised that we have allegedly corrupt officials in Ireland sure it greed and human nature.

Declan

Quotethe lack of a single post expressing sympathy or support for Pat Hickey very interesting

Yeah I wonder why that is???

AZOffaly

Quote from: Declan on August 17, 2016, 04:59:49 PM
Quotethe lack of a single post expressing sympathy or support for Pat Hickey very interesting

Reminds me of some comedy western I watched.

"Now hang on y'all. There'll be no lynching here. He'll have a fair trial, and THEN we'll hang him.".

theskull1

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

seafoid

I think Shane Ross is the right man in the right place. The OCI stinks and it is in receipt of public funds.

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 17, 2016, 05:24:26 PM
Quote from: Declan on August 17, 2016, 04:59:49 PM

Reminds me of some comedy western I watched.

"Now hang on y'all. There'll be no lynching here. He'll have a fair trial, and THEN we'll hang him.".

Was that Dubya talking about Saddam?
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Hickey temporarily steps aside as Olympics walla

PW Nally

Quote from: yellowcard on August 17, 2016, 04:19:51 PM
Quote from: AQMP on August 17, 2016, 03:51:33 PM
Quote from: muppet on August 17, 2016, 03:41:18 PM
Y'know what, I have never watched as little of an Olympics as this one. I was always glued to the swimming and athletics, for example, but it just doesn't seem real anymore.

I will keep an eye out for Irish athletes of course.

Likewise.  I've virtually no interest in the athletics.

I watched the highlights of Thomas Barr's hurdle race, other than that I have no interest in watching the athletics, sadly it just doesn't mean anything to me.
How long did the highlights of this 400m hurdles race take you?

never kickt a ball

See there's a Kerry connection with the GB Women's Hockey Team.

moysider

Schippers beaten by Thompson in 200. Best white girl sprinter since the drugged up East Germans? Shows how difficult it is for Europeans to win track events.

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

Hound

Quote from: seafoid on August 17, 2016, 06:16:31 PM
I think Shane Ross is the right man in the right place. The OCI stinks and it is in receipt of public funds.
Shane Ross fleeing Rio as soon as he heard of Hickey's arrest was hilarious!

The time scheduling has played a huge part in the lack of interest in the athletics this year. On live mostly in the middle of the night and highlights on from approx 9am to 11am, means anyone working has no chance.

The track cycling has been on the BBC at prime time, and I've found it hugely entertaining. Hoy and Boardman excellent anaylsts too. Of course they are pro the British, but any time they've been beaten there's been no whinging and they've always praised the victors.

Keyser soze

I have tried to watch a range of events on the various BBC channels and I must say their coverage is abysmal. Dan Walker on BBC4 is hung out like a complete tit every evening, talking about the binmen and fishermen on Copacabana beach.  Cringeworthy.

The team GB bias is laughably bad, and yes, I do know it is the BRITISH BC, but they would cut away from the 100m final to show a Team GB Tiddlywinkist who had a shot to get into the second round.

The amount of chopping and changing and channel hopping required is unreal. Really poor effort from the Beeb.