2016 Summer Olympics Rio

Started by DrinkingHarp, May 24, 2016, 06:12:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Quote from: muppet on August 17, 2016, 03:41:18 PM
Y'know what, I have never watched as little of an Olympics as this one. I was always glued to the swimming and athletics, for example, but it just doesn't seem real anymore.

I will keep an eye out for Irish athletes of course.

I was the only one in my office that watched the O'Donovan's medal race. I work with Brits, Aussies, Kiwis, Belgians, Italians, Brazilians, Indians and even one lad from Leitrim, none of them cared about the Olympics. I have a feeling this apathy is probably the norm world wide. The Indians certainly don't give a damn, more interested in Kabbadi and cricket.
#newbridgeornowhere

Declan

QuoteThere an email after being shown where Hickey wants to put Shane Ross "back in his box." What an arrogant corrupt fcuker.
It's actually from the legal eagle

QuoteY'know what, I have never watched as little of an Olympics as this one. I was always glued to the swimming and athletics, for example, but it just doesn't seem real anymore.

+1

Gabriel_Hurl

QuotePat Hickey has been formally charged with ticket touting, forming a cartel and illicit marketing, the Brazilian police have said. The maximum prison sentence for this is seven years.

AZOffaly

The Indian lack of interest appears to extend to those who run the various sporting bodies. Their medal totals for such a huge country are pathetic. If cricket was in the Olympics they'd medal alright. They're decent at hockey too I think?

imtommygunn

I had thought India were ok at the squash and badminton too muppet. I think they beat Ireland in the hockey.

seafoid

Quote from: Declan on August 17, 2016, 03:49:36 PM
QuoteThere an email after being shown where Hickey wants to put Shane Ross "back in his box." What an arrogant corrupt fcuker.
It's actually from the legal eagle

QuoteY'know what, I have never watched as little of an Olympics as this one. I was always glued to the swimming and athletics, for example, but it just doesn't seem real anymore.

+1

Shane Ross is well used to grubby ineptitude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbE4ZHIzvTY

Declan

As Paul Howard said earlier :

Paul Howard ‏@AkaPaulHoward  ยท 14m14 minutes ago 

If Pat Hickey gets the same judges as Michael Conlan, he'll have nothing to worry about.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 17, 2016, 03:50:12 PM
The Indian lack of interest appears to extend to those who run the various sporting bodies. Their medal totals for such a huge country are pathetic. If cricket was in the Olympics they'd medal alright. They're decent at hockey too I think?

They obviously don't care enough to invest, they only invest (quick google) $100m a year in sport, we invest nearly $50m a year and their population is just the 400 times bigger.  The more money you invest the more medals you get, particularly in minority sports, that has been Australia's model for years now being followed by the UK ( $50m in track cycling alone since the last Olympics).

So India obviously have other priorities, education and health being the two most obvious. They just don't care and they are dead right.
#newbridgeornowhere

imtommygunn

Was it someone here who said 55 million per team GB medal was how much it worked out at? That was a few nights ago so it will have went down a bit since.

AZOffaly

True, they have bigger problems than trying to earn a medal at the 20m air rifle or whatever it is. India is a very sobering place.

AZOffaly

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 17, 2016, 04:06:25 PM
Was it someone here who said 55 million per team GB medal was how much it worked out at? That was a few nights ago so it will have went down a bit since.

I think it was 5.5m

imtommygunn

Ah stray decimal place...

Seems more plausible. Still a lot more than most countries can afford.

seafoid

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 17, 2016, 04:04:14 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 17, 2016, 03:50:12 PM

They obviously don't care enough to invest, they only invest (quick google) $100m a year in sport, we invest nearly $50m a year and their population is just the 400 times bigger.  The more money you invest the more medals you get, particularly in minority sports, that has been Australia's model for years now being followed by the UK ( $50m in track cycling alone since the last Olympics).

So India obviously have other priorities, education and health being the two most obvious. They just don't care and they are dead right.
India is dirt poor. Cricket gets all the attention.
Most poor countries win very little. The medals go disproportionately to the rich countries.

yellowcard

Quote from: AQMP on August 17, 2016, 03:51:33 PM
Quote from: muppet on August 17, 2016, 03:41:18 PM
Y'know what, I have never watched as little of an Olympics as this one. I was always glued to the swimming and athletics, for example, but it just doesn't seem real anymore.

Likewise.  I've virtually no interest in the athletics.

I watched the highlights of Thomas Barr's hurdle race, other than that I have no interest in watching the athletics, sadly it just doesn't mean anything to me.

AZOffaly

His coach, Hayley Harrison, has worked as sprint coach for the Tipperary footballers.