2016 Summer Olympics Rio

Started by DrinkingHarp, May 24, 2016, 06:12:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: bennydorano on August 08, 2016, 08:26:10 PM
Muppet, you really don't get what I'm about all. I'm the outsider in this discussion, the 'Cyclists are all dopers mentality' is so ingrained on this board that I am advocating the non mainstream position.

I'm well aware of doping throughout the pro, semi pro and youth ranks of cycling. However I think most doping accusers are barking up the wrong trees (& most seem only to want to Skybash). I genuinely believe Sky are clean and I'll argue their case. As for UK Track cycling, not as interested but I'd still be very surprised. All the information you could ever want to read about UK cycling is available but sure if one of you first statements is 'I don't read fiction', there's not much point going deeper into any discussion.

You have to change hearts & minds one at a time and I don't see that happening to either of us.

Fair enough, but what about Armistead?
MWWSI 2017

bennydorano

As i've stated on another thread, no sympathy whatsoever for her, she may or may not be guilty but has totally brought it all upon herself. Defending one of your own is perfectly understandable but the incorrect choice imo.

Milltown Row2

Watched ladies volleyball USA v Netherlands.... Great game some effort from the Dutch, just came up short in a decider
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

muppet

Quote from: bennydorano on August 08, 2016, 08:49:27 PM
As i've stated on another thread, no sympathy whatsoever for her, she may or may not be guilty but has totally brought it all upon herself. Defending one of your own is perfectly understandable but the incorrect choice imo.

I can definitely agree with that.
MWWSI 2017

Smokin Joe

Benny, have a look at the posts you made about Armstrong on this page: http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=11652.60
It was pretty much the same routine back in 2009 with Muppet dissing your suggestion that 500 clean tests meant that he was clean.  We know how that one ended.

I'm with Muppet here.  Just about every time we have given an athlete the benefit of the doubt for big improvements we tend to find a few years later there there were "extenuating" circumstances.

oakleaflad

Quote from: screenexile on August 08, 2016, 07:48:52 PM
Came 10th 4 years ago in British and trials and now he's the WR holder????
Who's this?

CiKe

who, Peaty? Sure at 17 he'd hardly be the finished article. Mind you if he was anything other than a Brit the press would be highly skeptical. One thing to break the world record but those were almost Usain Bolt style smashing of the record, not only once, but twice.

bennydorano

Quote from: Smokin Joe on August 08, 2016, 09:51:40 PM
Benny, have a look at the posts you made about Armstrong on this page: http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=11652.60
It was pretty much the same routine back in 2009 with Muppet dissing your suggestion that 500 clean tests meant that he was clean.  We know how that one ended.

I'm with Muppet here.  Just about every time we have given an athlete the benefit of the doubt for big improvements we tend to find a few years later there there were "extenuating" circumstances.
Yip, not something I've hid from, it's on this or the cycling thread last week. I believed, moved on and won't be fooled again. I've  also made it clear above I know there's plenty of doping going on but I think Sky are clean.

oakleaflad

Quote from: CiKe on August 08, 2016, 10:25:53 PM

who, Peaty? Sure at 17 he'd hardly be the finished article. Mind you if he was anything other than a Brit the press would be highly skeptical. One thing to break the world record but those were almost Usain Bolt style smashing of the record, not only once, but twice.
I would disagree regarding the press. Swimming records are broken relatively frequently and not much is heard about it in the press. Peaty broke his own World Record twice at the Olympics. I could be wrong as well but I believe there may have been a change in rules in his particular stroke to allow more kicks, it doesn't have to be synchronized anymore, something like that, again I could be wrong but think I heard it.

Gabriel_Hurl

CiKe

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on August 08, 2016, 10:46:01 PM
It's a fast pool as well

Legit question from someone without a clue. Are you taking the piss or being serious? I know they talk about fast tracks etc, wasn't aware there was maybe the same in the pool.

Irrespective of whether you're being sarcastic, to smash the record by that much is crazy, unless as per oakleaflad there has been some rule change.

Oakleaflad, you're probably right about the press though reckon would depend on circumstances. Can you imagine it was a Russian beat their golden boy into second place or something? (just think all the coverage Rebecca Adlington got for her golds/ You'd have sworn swimming was biggest sport in the UK at the time.)

muppet

It's a fast pool as well

Apparently it is right on the slope limit of 1.5%: http://cs.selu.edu/~rbyrd/math/slope/

Was it wind assisted. As well?
MWWSI 2017

armaghniac

Quote from: muppet on August 08, 2016, 10:56:28 PM
It's a fast pool as well

Apparently it is right on the slope limit of 1.5%

Does that measure the slope on the top of the water or the bottom of the pool?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

muppet

Quote from: armaghniac on August 08, 2016, 11:01:36 PM
Quote from: muppet on August 08, 2016, 10:56:28 PM
It's a fast pool as well

Apparently it is right on the slope limit of 1.5%

Does that measure the slope on the top of the water or the bottom of the pool?

You know your swimming!

This is why you see swimmers sometimes doing a lot of the first length underwater and switching on the way back. You can get the bottom sloping one way and the top the other.
MWWSI 2017