Lance Armstrong

Started by anportmorforjfc, March 23, 2009, 03:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

What has brought this on?

Armstrong appears to have very few friends in the world of professional cycling.

I've always wanted to believe he was as innocent as could be in terms of performance enhancing drugs but the squeeze seems to be a tough one now to ride.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Sandino

Its sad when your heros let you down, you just feel 'cheated' Looks like this is a concerted effort this time. Hincapie has given a statement to the Feds according to CBS.
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

J70

Quote from: Sandino on May 21, 2011, 12:17:10 AM
Well it looks like the end game has started. Two of his main team mates (Tyler Hamilton and Goerge Hincapie) accuse him within the last 36 hours. Is this the end of the legend?

It amazes me how anyone could not harbour doubts about his performances in such a drug addled sport.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: ONeill on May 21, 2011, 12:28:40 AM
Armstrong appears to have very few friends in the world of professional cycling.

Anyone who I know who has met the fella tells me the same thing, i.e. that he's an unlikeable arrogant pr|ck.

Tyrones own

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 21, 2011, 05:49:55 AM

Anyone who I know who has met the fella tells me the same thing, i.e. that he's an unlikeable arrogant pr|ck.
I've met him and def don't agree with that, Wonder how likeable any of ye would be with every hoor and his mother
trying to discredit you at every turn, and have been for years!
He tweeted earlier:
"20+ year career. 500 drug controls worldwide, in and out of competition. Never failed a test, I rest my case"
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

theskull1

As usual, TO wins

There'll be someone round shortly to take a urine test  :)
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

bennydorano

I'm in Lance's corner anyway, surely now it's all going to be someone's word against his, how can anything be physically  proven?  The f**king French seem to  have it in for him big time, wankers.  500 tests and clean everytime is a pretty decent record.

screenexile

You have to wonder why all these people are coming out now. Why not do it at the time when a test would have picked up he's a cheat. As benny says all there is now is someone's word against his and there is no proof to be had . . . like I have said numerous times if someone shows me proof then I will believe he's a cheat but I will hold the notion that makes us a civilised society "Innocent until proven guilty"!

bennydorano

Harmon on  eurosport's  Giro coverage seems to think its the end for Lance, Sean Kelly (nabbed himself) didnt say much. I remember reading the prosecutor/ leader of the US federal investigation was in it purely for the exposure to further his political ambitions. I still blame the French!

J70

Quote from: Tyrones own on May 21, 2011, 05:57:10 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 21, 2011, 05:49:55 AM

I've met him and def don't agree with that, Wonder how likeable any of ye would be with every hoor and his mother
trying to discredit you at every turn, and have been for years!
He tweeted earlier:
"20+ year career. 500 drug controls worldwide, in and out of competition. Never failed a test, I rest my case"

Hardly conclusive. Testing technology, by necessity, always lags behind the dopers.

I do think his personality is irrelevant, unless it explains why there is this huge 'conspiracy' to discredit him.

bennydorano

500 passed tests or the testimony of caught drug cheats ??? In any other situation it would be threw out of court.

bennydorano

Hincapie has apparently come out & said he never spoke to CBS's 60 minutes & has no idea where they got their info. Case closed if this is true as hincapie is the only 'accuser' with any respectability.

INDIANA

Armstrong still won 3 tours with the highest average speed of any cyclist. Speeds that havent been seen since. When you consider the gradients of the likes of Mt Ventoux I find its hard to believe a couple of multi-vitamins and Berocca could help you achieve some speeds.

Maybe he was that good- but for me I'm sceptical and I dont apologise for it. So I'm on the fence on this one. he hasnt tested positive so you cant say for certainty he was a cheat. But I've huge respect for Paul Kimmage and David Walsh two of his biggest critics and I find it hard to believe they enjoy going on witch-hunts.

For me I've little interest in the sport after following it hugely.

Its riddled with drugs and cheats.

And always will be. There is a train of thought in my mind they should be let take whatever they want. Because it will always be riddled with drugs. Having seen some of the mountain climbs I'm not sure its humanely possible anymore to ride the Tour De France clean. Its a vicious circle in my view and the organisers have as much to answer for as anyone else.

muppet

Quote from: bennydorano on May 21, 2011, 12:00:47 PM
I'm in Lance's corner anyway, surely now it's all going to be someone's word against his, how can anything be physically  proven?  The f**king French seem to  have it in for him big time, w**kers.  500 tests and clean everytime is a pretty decent record.

We have heard that line many times before. Michelle De Bruin used to use it until it was revealed she had failed tests before, but the authorities wanted cast iron proof before taking her on. Funnily enough it was Androstenedione found in a number of her samples that destroyed her defense, the same drug mentioned towards the end of that article.

The article is American and it contains the testimony of many Americans. The prosecutor is American and the courts will be American. If there is to be jail, it will be an American jail. But of course TO blame's the French. Class.  :D
MWWSI 2017

bennydorano

It was me blaming the French, they've been hounding him for years, very nasty & bitter at times. There'd be no current investigation without the French history of persuing him. Innocent until proven guilty.