Next Government for the 26?

Started by muppet, March 16, 2016, 03:16:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canalman

Quote from: Rossfan on March 24, 2016, 11:13:27 AM
Quote from: Canalman on March 24, 2016, 11:07:50 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on March 23, 2016, 09:19:26 PM
The Healy Raes of this world are well down the list of problems in Ireland, believe me. Very clever guys.

In fairness, MS, I have yet to read or hear anyone say that they weren't. Well established that they and their organization is extremely smart and media savvy.

Read General Lee's post 2 or 3 above your own!!

I stand corrected.

muppet

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 23, 2016, 09:19:26 PM
The Healy Raes of this world are well down the list of problems in Ireland, believe me. Very clever guys.

They are certainly very clever, but I do think they are part of a public service spending problem. They have a nice circular arrangement whereby they are public representatives and their private business is also hired by public bodies, such as the Kerry County Council, of which they both were members. They take in an awful lot of public money and yet criticise public servants.

As an aside, I know of a man in a different county to the Healy-Raes who used to be a County Councillor and a member of the Health Board and VEC Board. He, and others like him, used to try to  schedule the meetings for the same day and claim expenses for the 3 round trips. Back around 2000 he took in something like €90,000 a year in expenses to add to his full time PS job.

And we know it is not limited to members of the local boards, remember the German documentary on MEPs signing in on a Friday morning with their luggage on the way to the airport, but claiming expenses for that day?

MWWSI 2017

Hound

How quickly people forget!

The Healy Raes are part of the worst strain of old Fianna Fail. The Kerry versions of Ray Burke and P Flynn

muppet

Here is that report on the MEPS claiming a daily allowance at 7am for that day's work, with their luggage to travel home: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzEQWigzz30
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

I think Fianna Fáil are in danger of playing an absolute blinder here. Fine Gael need to be very careful. This is a situation where their desire to hold power/do what's best for the country (delete as you see fit) may run them right out of government after the next election, which will be at the behest of Fianna Fáil if their plans go as they want them too.

I think this is the scenario Fianna Fáil want...

Fine Gael form a minority government, with the help of 10 or so independents, and maybe a couple of the smaller parties. Fianna Fáil 'try their best' to form an alternative government, but reluctantly, and magnanimously, decide to support this minority government, "in the interests of the people and to avoid another election".

FF take their seats on the opposition benches, and become a simmering threat to every move the government wants to make, while at the same time making sure Sinn Féin don't accrue the benefits of being the main opposition party.

Then, in 18 months, or 2 years, when a populist subject like Irish Water, or USC, or Housing comes to boiling point (Irish Water, boom, boom) FF, as these new watchdogs, decide to pull the plug as they 'cannot support a government who would do such a terrible thing', and align themselves for purposes of grandstanding, with Sinn Fein, AAA etc.

They call a vote of confidence, the Government is defeated and falls. Back to the country, except this time as the party that 'nobley forfeited a chance at power for the good of the country, but couldn't stand by and watch this terribly punitive/unfair/buzz word of the day legislation go through, and believe that any government that proposed such a heinous act cannot be allowed to stand'. Sinn Féin's ground is challenged, Fine Gael are beaten up on a populist issue, any independents that supported it are undermined, and FF rides back into power as a majority partner in a slightly left of centre coalition, maybe with the Social Democrats, Labour or, more unlikely without leadership changes on both sides, Sinn Fein.

Billys Boots

So you were in the pub at home for the weekend AZ?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

AZOffaly

No, not at all. Down in Healy-Rae country.

Billys Boots

Bring anti-boyothicks next time!
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

AZOffaly

Rossfan

You have it fairly spot on AZ. Sums up the FF plan in a nutshell.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Hound

Quote from: Rossfan on March 30, 2016, 11:58:36 AM
Not as if its mind blowing. For FF to do anything else would be pretty stupid.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Hound on March 30, 2016, 12:20:21 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on March 30, 2016, 11:58:36 AM
Not as if its mind blowing. For FF to do anything else would be pretty stupid.

Thanks, I thought it was clever :) It would be pretty stupid for FF to go into coalition, or even to be the leader of a minority government, but I'm sure there are those advocating it. And I'm more suggesting the denouement of the arrangement, when they will pull the plug and what will happen then.

mikehunt

Quote from: Hound on March 25, 2016, 09:39:36 AM
How quickly people forget!

The Healy Raes are part of the worst strain of old Fianna Fail. The Kerry versions of Ray Burke and P Flynn

http://www.joe.ie/uncategorized/3500-dail-phone-calls-help-healy-rae-win-reality-tv-show/25396

mrdeeds

The Healy Raes have being buying property in Allsop auctions and yet decry about the homeless crisis. Also have an interest in Irish water and yet preach anti water charges rethoric. Some boys.

mikehunt

Quote from: mrdeeds on March 30, 2016, 01:30:55 PM
The Healy Raes have being buying property in Allsop auctions and yet decry about the homeless crisis. Also have an interest in Irish water and yet preach anti water charges rethoric. Some boys.

300k in state contracts to companies owned by the Healy Raes. Two brothers in the dail, a sister in the County Council and a sister in revenue (not sure if it's the same person). Callan's Kicks rightly lampooned them, "we give constituents what they are already entitled to in the first place". They play the fool convincingly but it's just deflection tactics so that press focus on the gombeen aspect rather than what they are really up to. They're not called cute Kerry hoors for nothing.