Why is the 'Cadet' thread locked?

Started by Maguire01, November 30, 2011, 08:35:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nally Stand

Quote from: Trout on December 02, 2011, 04:06:25 PM
As for the YouTube link, do you think he would hold that opinion now?

Well, the British Army's own review of 'Operation Harvest', which concluded that they did not and could not defeat the IRA, was written in 2007. So I'd say he probably would still say that yes :D
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Maguire01

Quote from: Nally Stand on December 01, 2011, 08:28:01 PM
From Jude Collins:

The Mayor of Belfast and a shameful affair

It's good to see for once that the public of Belfast appear to be united against a shameful affair. I'm referring, of course, to the case of the British Army cadet who wasn't given  a Duke of Edinburgh award by the Lord Mayor Niall Ó Donnghaile. There really is a point where people have to say enough is enough, whether that's by words or actions – or in this case refusal to act.

Because what we have here is a 15-year-old who has been encouraged along the path of organized violence.  This child has barely reached the age of puberty, yet she has been enlisted in an organization where people are taught to kill other people – with guns, with grenades, with tanks, with rockets, with bombs. Last year cash-strapped Britain spent over £38 billion on training and equipping people to kill or threaten to kill other people. To that you can add another £34 billion for the Trident nuclear replacement, a death-programme designed to kill civilians by the million. Meanwhile there are nearly three million people out of work in Britain today, while those who are in work are having their pensions gutted and their pay slashed to fill the pockets of bankers and bond-holders.

It'll be three more years before this cadet child is allowed to vote. It'll be three more years before she can get married without his parents' consent. Yet right now, without a murmur from anyone, she is being inducted into the world of weapons, violence,  mutilation and death. Thank God someone at last has had the courage to refuse to lend his office to this corruption of the young. Maith thú, Lord Mayor – well done!
I assume, given the Mayor's climbdown, that Collins doesn't consider him to be just as courageous anymore.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Maguire01 on December 02, 2011, 04:33:53 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on December 01, 2011, 08:28:01 PM
From Jude Collins:

The Mayor of Belfast and a shameful affair

It's good to see for once that the public of Belfast appear to be united against a shameful affair. I'm referring, of course, to the case of the British Army cadet who wasn't given  a Duke of Edinburgh award by the Lord Mayor Niall Ó Donnghaile. There really is a point where people have to say enough is enough, whether that's by words or actions – or in this case refusal to act.

Because what we have here is a 15-year-old who has been encouraged along the path of organized violence.  This child has barely reached the age of puberty, yet she has been enlisted in an organization where people are taught to kill other people – with guns, with grenades, with tanks, with rockets, with bombs. Last year cash-strapped Britain spent over £38 billion on training and equipping people to kill or threaten to kill other people. To that you can add another £34 billion for the Trident nuclear replacement, a death-programme designed to kill civilians by the million. Meanwhile there are nearly three million people out of work in Britain today, while those who are in work are having their pensions gutted and their pay slashed to fill the pockets of bankers and bond-holders.

It'll be three more years before this cadet child is allowed to vote. It'll be three more years before she can get married without his parents' consent. Yet right now, without a murmur from anyone, she is being inducted into the world of weapons, violence,  mutilation and death. Thank God someone at last has had the courage to refuse to lend his office to this corruption of the young. Maith thú, Lord Mayor – well done!
I assume, given the Mayor's climbdown, that Collins doesn't consider him to be just as courageous anymore.

Not being Jude Collins, I have no idea if your assumption is correct.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Maguire01

Quote from: Nally Stand on December 01, 2011, 07:43:51 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on December 01, 2011, 07:36:50 PM
How is it that presenting the awards not "shirking" his 'responsibilities as an Irish Republican', yet giving an award to a 14 year old Cadet is?
Compromise!
Was listening to Máirtín O'Muilleoir on Radio Uladh this morning - he's being a bit more honest in his assessment of how the whole incident has played out, referring to it as a 'slip up' and admitting it was badly handled. That's what we need to see in politicians - an ability to put their hands up where appropriate - it's a lot easier to respect than continuous spin.

And speaking of O'Muilleoir, surely it's only a matter of time before he's up in Stormont? He appears to be miles ahead of any of the current 5 West Belfast MLAs.

sheamy

Máirtín is too saft...when Mike Nesbitt comes to an Easter commemoration, we'll know we have parity of esteem.

(read Máirtín's book - Belfast's Dome of delight. Very funny in parts and gives a great account of life on Belfast Council in the 80-90's. Especially the bits about breeding gondolas and giving the city hall a coat of durex)

Trout

Right Nally, and whoever else wants to answer, so you see the IRA as "undefeated", so what did they win, considering their political wing and former members ended up in a British Institution in Stormont. Even Sinn Fein can't spin that as victory, well not to anyone with more than two brain cells.
Sinn Fein delivers -

British rule

Nally Stand

Quote from: Trout on December 02, 2011, 05:16:48 PM
Right Nally, and whoever else wants to answer, so you see the IRA as "undefeated", so what did they win, considering their political wing and former members ended up in a British Institution in Stormont. Even Sinn Fein can't spin that as victory, well not to anyone with more than two brain cells.

You said they were defeated by the british army. I only said you were talking shite. The british army seemingly would agree that you were talking shite. The IRA didn't win either. I never claimed they did. Militarily, neither side could defeat eachother. What the IRA did do however, was force the british government to sit down and talk. Without the IRA campaign, we would not have near the level of equality and peace that we currently have.

Trout

Quote from: Nally Stand on December 02, 2011, 07:02:45 PM
Quote from: Trout on December 02, 2011, 05:16:48 PM

You said they were defeated by the british army. I only said you were talking shite. The british army seemingly would agree that you were talking shite. The IRA didn't win either. I never claimed they did. Militarily, neither side could defeat eachother. What the IRA did do however, was force the british government to sit down and talk. Without the IRA campaign, we would not have near the level of equality and peace that we currently have.

Sunningdale?????????

So it looks like a principled stance by the Lord Mayor then, well maybe not him but by someone in HQs

Mick Fealty on Slugger

"Just heard the whole event was delayed 45 minutes while The Mayor called base for further instructions. As Máirtín said this morning no one in SF will be putting this on their CVs."
Sinn Fein delivers -

British rule

LondonCamanachd

Quote from: ziggysego on December 02, 2011, 08:01:43 PM
The Unionist are getting their own back

http://www.u.tv/News/Row-over-Irish-language-festive-sign/b288bca8-61e1-40c5-917c-ec9f995f472b

I guess someone from the island of GB saying "why can't they just live and let live!?" is insensitive and patronising?  And if it is, does it still mean i'm wrong?

Tonto

ardal

Rossfan

Quote from: ziggysego on December 02, 2011, 08:01:43 PM
The Unionist are getting their own back

http://www.u.tv/News/Row-over-Irish-language-festive-sign/b288bca8-61e1-40c5-917c-ec9f995f472b

A lot of masks slipping these days it would seem.
Some bitter twisted oul cnuts alright.
Do Unionists get a shoe allowance for all this walking out they indulge in a lot?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Tonto

Quote from: ardal on December 02, 2011, 08:24:26 PM
It's being used as a proper noun? ???
But it's not, is it? If you're referring to the Ulster Unionists or Democratic Unionists fair enough, but 'unionist' by itself doesn't need a capital just as 'nationalist' or 'libertarian' wouldn't have a capital letter either.

Anyway, just a wee pet hate of mine!  :-[

ardal

Like myself not liking sentences which begin with "But", but getting back to the point. Although I would tend to agree with you regarding the capital "U", the possibility still exists that it's being used as a proper noun. Without a greater context it's not possible to be sure. The poster is therefore innocent until shot in the back of the head