All Ireland Hurling Championship 2013

Started by AZOffaly, April 30, 2013, 04:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CorkMan

The Cork game really depends on who's available for both teams... and how fit they are. Lorcan McLoughlin was absolutely terrible against Limerick. Hopefully, he's fit enough to turn in a performance against Kilkenny. If Fennelly is playing, Cork will need McLoughlin fit to combat Fennelly in midfield.

Tipp and Waterford both lost to Kilkenny because their half-forward lines were cleaned out by the Kilkenny half-backs. They were losing ball after ball and they didn't change tactics. Neither teams had any great ball winners in the half forward lines. Cork have Pa Cronin, who is brilliant in the air. He wasn't as good as he usually is against Limerick but if he's on-song, he will be a very good option for Nash's puckouts. One player who can win ball in the half-forward line won't be enough, though. Kilkenny have three strong half-backs capable of competing with Cronin. Lehane is good in the air for a player who is not that tall, but he hasn't played great so far this year. Cian McCarthy is capable of competing in the air some days, but those days don't come around often enough. Seamus Harnedy is our next best option, but, in my opinion, we need him at full forward line as he caused Limerick problems in there the last day out.

If Shane O'Neill isn't playing, I don't think we have much hope. He is our best defender and probably our only defender capable of marking Richie Hogan, who is, in my opinion, Kilkennys best forward at the moment. If Cork can keep Hogan quiet, I think they have a great chance of winning and I think the only way to keep Hogan quiet is to put O'Neill on him.

Asal Mor

Quote from: CorkMan on July 25, 2013, 06:55:51 PM
If Shane O'Neill isn't playing, I don't think we have much hope. He is our best defender and probably our only defender capable of marking Richie Hogan, who is, in my opinion, Kilkennys best forward at the moment. If Cork can keep Hogan quiet, I think they have a great chance of winning and I think the only way to keep Hogan quiet is to put O'Neill on him.

Good analysis Corkman and you're right about Hogan. Kilkenny's main men now are Paul Murphy, Brian Hogan, Fennelly and Richie Hogan. The fact that they've gotten two of those players back since the loss to Dublin makes them hot favorites for the All-Ireland again.

johnneycool

Quote from: CorkMan on July 25, 2013, 06:55:51 PM
The Cork game really depends on who's available for both teams... and how fit they are. Lorcan McLoughlin was absolutely terrible against Limerick. Hopefully, he's fit enough to turn in a performance against Kilkenny. If Fennelly is playing, Cork will need McLoughlin fit to combat Fennelly in midfield.

Tipp and Waterford both lost to Kilkenny because their half-forward lines were cleaned out by the Kilkenny half-backs. They were losing ball after ball and they didn't change tactics. Neither teams had any great ball winners in the half forward lines. Cork have Pa Cronin, who is brilliant in the air. He wasn't as good as he usually is against Limerick but if he's on-song, he will be a very good option for Nash's puckouts. One player who can win ball in the half-forward line won't be enough, though. Kilkenny have three strong half-backs capable of competing with Cronin. Lehane is good in the air for a player who is not that tall, but he hasn't played great so far this year. Cian McCarthy is capable of competing in the air some days, but those days don't come around often enough. Seamus Harnedy is our next best option, but, in my opinion, we need him at full forward line as he caused Limerick problems in there the last day out.

When Waterford pushed Kevin Moran into midfield and he was able to run at the Kilkenny defence they were struggling in a big way and its what Dublin and Galway last year did successfully. Pump high ball and puck outs on top of them is folly.

Nash would be better dropping 20 yards off his puck outs in and around midfield than booming them on top of Brian Hogan who'll want to lie deep in front of JJ and Harnedy if he's full forward. Corks 50/60 yard passing off the hurl was pretty decent in the first half vrs Limerick but this possession didn't yield the scores it should have, that cutting edge will need to be found for a realistic tilt at Kilkenny.

At the other end Cork defenders should forget about catching the ball themselves, especially their full back and go all out in spoiling the Kilkenny catching as Kilkenny will eat them up and shít them out if they win the aerial battle irrespective of what the Cork forwards are doing up the field.

As Kilkenny seem to be gathering momentum it'll take a performance from this Cork team that we haven't seen as yet to beat them.

I think its the Cats by 5.

CorkMan

The Cork team to play Kilkenny in the All-Ireland SHC Quarter-Final on Sunday at 2pm in Thurles will line out as follows:

1. Anthony Nash
            Kanturk

2. Shane O'Neill      3. Stephen McDonnell    4. Conor O'Sullivan   
Bishopstown         Glen Rovers            Sarsfields

5. Tom Kenny         6. Christopher Joyce         7. William Egan
Grenagh            Na Piarsaigh            Kilbrin

8. Lorcan Mc Loughlin      9. Daniel Kearney
      Kanturk             Sarsfields

10. Conor Lehane      11. Seamus Harnedy         12. Pa Cronin
Midleton            St. Ita's               Bishopstown

13. Luke O'Farrell      14. Patrick Horgan       15. Jamie Coughlan   
Midleton            Glen Rovers          Newtownshandrum

16.   Darren McCarthy Ballymartle   
17.   Kilian Murphy Erin's Own
18.   Mark Ellis Millstreet
19.   Stephen White Ballygarvan
20.   Rob O'Shea Carrigaline   
21.   Cian McCarthy Sarsfields
22.   Cathal Naughton Newtownshandrum
23.   Stephen Moylan Douglas
24.   Michael Cussen Sarsfields
25.   Michael O'Sullivan Tracton
26.   Eoin Keane St. Finbarr's

Two Hands FFS

M.Fennelly starts at midfield & Shefflin starts at corner Forward.

Asal Mor

Amazed to see Shefflin starting for Kilkenny. I can't imagine him being back up to inter-county speed but I suppose Cody knows what he's doing at this stage. Kilkenny are looking very ominous again though and are back in to 11/8 for the All-Ireland.

The Galway team has been named:

Callanan;
Moore , Hynes Coen;
Kavanagh, Collins, Grealish;
A Harte, A Smith;
D Burke, C Cooney, J Glynn;
D Hayes, J Canning, N Burke

I'm a lot happier with that team. Grealish, Glynn, Harte, Hayes, Callanan and Smith are all big additions who are in better form than the lads they were replacing. Tannian and Donnellan might make an impact off the bench.

I'm sure we'll see positional switches. Coen will probably mark Tony Kelly. Hynes might not start full-back(hopefully not- he'd be better around midfield). He might be moved out the field with Kavanagh going to no.3.  Kavanagh does have a broken toe so hopefully he'll be able to perform. Surprised Niall Donoghue isn't in the team.

Damien Hayes will play around the middle and Niall Burke was very poor in the corner the last day, so he's more likely to play in the half- forwards, with Glynn going in to the full- forward line. It's good to see Cunningham having the courage to make these changes and I fancy Galway to win this game now.

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Onlooker

Quote from: hardstation on July 28, 2013, 02:58:05 PM
How is Shane O'Neill still on the field? He should have been booked twice in the 1st half, then pulls across a fella for the penalty. Joke.
Agree with you 100%.  Terrible from the referee.

All of a Sludden

Poor decision making by the referee and the umpires.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Captain Obvious

The end of a great Kilkenny side will be talking about them for years. This years All Ireland is wide open now.

laoislad

Shamrock Shore

Shefflin will be disappointed but it was two harsh cards I think.

Rebels won't win AI
Clare won't

So it's Lim v Dub in final with Lim my choice.

From the Bunker

No Tipp!

No Cats!

Has to be Corks year?

The more things change the more they stay the same!  :-\

laoislad

Does this mean Cork are playing Dublin in semi final regardless of Galway Clare result?

Hoof Hearted

30 AI medals to be handed out to new men this year ! No-one left has one apparently
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012