All Ireland Hurling Championship 2013

Started by AZOffaly, April 30, 2013, 04:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean3

Perhaps the analysts were focusing more on the reason why Sutcliffe was on the ground and why Burke was sent of for putting him there.

heffo

Quote from: Sean3 on July 25, 2013, 08:15:06 AM
Perhaps the analysts were focusing more on the reason why Sutcliffe was on the ground and why Burke was sent of for putting him there.

He got a yellow - should have been red

Asal Mor

Admittedly Burke did give him a little pokeen with the hurl, but he didn't shove a broadsword through his stomach, as Sutcliffe's reaction suggested.

heffo

Quote from: Asal Mor on July 25, 2013, 08:23:03 AM
Admittedly Burke did give hime a little pokeen with the butt of the hurl. He didn't shove a broadsword through his stomach though, as Sutcliffe's reaction suggested.

You get the butt of the hurl in your ribs and you'll know all about it - should have seen red.

Plain of the Herbs

Your 7 point plan is correct, Rossfan.  Just one proviso - that was always the way, not just 'from now on'.
Quote from: Rossfan on July 24, 2013, 04:59:02 PM
And then they wonder why people are so reluctant to take up refereeing  ::)
or why hurling refs ignore loads of fouls so everyone will praise them for "letting the game flow"  :-\ :-\

So from now on is it all right for hurlers to whack other hurlers on the head once -
1- it's a sunny day
2- the ball might hit yer man anyway
3- I was never sent off before
4- I'm from Cork
5 - I didn't hit him too hard
6- Th'oul ref was stickin to the rule book which as we all know only applies to those lesser breeds who play football
7 - I'm a nice clean player

johnneycool

Quote from: Asal Mor on July 25, 2013, 08:23:03 AM
Admittedly Burke did give him a little pokeen with the hurl, but he didn't shove a broadsword through his stomach, as Sutcliffe's reaction suggested.

What's a little pokeen?  ;D

With all the core work being done by these lads it probably didn't hurt too much, BUT, it was still;

"I think that if a strike is 1. deliberate or 2. reckless and dangerous then the player deserves a suspension"

then he should have walked....

Rossfan

Quote from: Asal Mor on July 25, 2013, 02:36:19 AM
Rossfan, I think that if a strike is 1. deliberate or 2. reckless and dangerous then the player deserves a suspension. I didn't think Horgan's strike was either. If you think it deserved a red card and a suspension, then fair enough.

It was at best reckless  in my view and in the split second the ref had to decide - he went by the rules and sent him off correctly.
Suspension  - leave that to the CCCC or whoever.
I once heard an old Tipp hurler ( of all people  :o) saying that the first thing a hurler needs is discipline as he's going out on a field with a lethal weapon in his hands and must take care when/where he swings it and act responsibly at all times.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

neilthemac

Quote from: Rossfan on July 25, 2013, 11:01:01 AM
Rossfan, I think that if a strike is 1. deliberate or 2. reckless and dangerous then the player deserves a suspension. I didn't think Horgan's strike was either. If you think it deserved a red card and a suspension, then fair enough.

It was at best reckless  in my view and in the split second the ref had to decide - he went by the rules and sent him off correctly.
I once heard an old Tipp hurler ( of all people  :o) saying that the first thing a hurler needs is discipline as he's going out on a field with a lethal weapon in his hands and must take care when/where he swings it and act responsibly at all times.

exactly, and if you are intent on digging a lad forcefully into the ribs with the hurley then you've already lost the hurling battle

controlled aggression was how I would describe hurling

johnneycool

Was he from Tipp or had played for Tipp?

Rossfan

Quote from: johnneycool on July 25, 2013, 11:52:07 AM

Happened on it on Tipp FM while driving through Offaly one day so not too sure who he was. The interviewer asked him about his own playing days a few times so I suspect he was an ex County player.
He had a fine Kilnascully accent anyway  :D Dats riyatttt  :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

orangeman

By Joe Dooley

I'm sure the Kilkenny players and management were very relieved to have a couple of weeks to prepare for this Sunday's All-Ireland quarter final with Cork (throw in 2pm).

They have had a tough few weeks coping with the loss of key players through injury and playing five tough championship games. The last two in particular against Tipperary and Waterford were both pulsating knock out championship encounters that went right down to the wire.

Their victory over a very game Waterford team was one of their best wins ever as their character was tested like never before. When Waterford drew level with a goal in the second half of extra time you would have expected the favorites to fold but instead they tagged on three great points from play to seal a famous victory.

That passage of play could yet prove to be a key turning point in their year.

There is no doubt but as a team, they are struggling to find fluency to their play and are not rattling the onion bag as regularly as they normally do. It's hard to believe that they have only managed to score one goal from play in five and half games and conceded eight.

"For Cork to beat Kilkenny they will need to up the work rate all over the field"

As I said in my preview before the Waterford game, all they want to do for now is keep winning and address the lack of goals when they get a chance to do so on the training field.

I would expect a completely fresher and sharper Kilkenny team to take the field this Sunday. With the break and a number of key players getting fitter they are building momentum and if they can get over Cork they will take beating.

Their biggest danger is complacency and Sunday's game against Cork is a game that will require a much better all round performance than was displayed against Tipperary or Waterford if they are to advance.

This is a very tricky game for Kilkenny who because of these victories are expected to advance but if they are thinking this way down Noreside then that is the rock they could perish on.

Brian Cody is getting back into a situation where he now has serious competition again for places. The return of Michael Fennelly is a huge boost and helped turn the Waterford game. Richie Hogan, Colin Fennelly, Eoin Larkin and Richie Power in particular have all lifted their game in recent weeks.

Further improvements will be required from these and others to get over Cork who have a very young and fast team and if given space will punish you. Henry is unlikely to be started.

Cork were boosted by the news that Pat Horgan has been cleared to play following his sending off against Limerick in the Munster final and nobody would disagree with that decision.

Cork never really clicked into gear in that game even though they should have been a few points ahead at half time with the amount of possession they had but failed to make good use of it. The sending off of Horgan just before the break really finished the game as a contest.

Jimmy Barry Murphy will have been very disappointed with his team's performance and you would expect a big improvement for this weekend. The big loss of their under-21 team to Tipperary since that game will not have done much for the confidence of the younger players.

Their forward line came in for a lot of criticism after the Limerick game but in fairness they were down a man for all of the second half and playing into the wind.

Both Pa Cronin and Seamus Harnedy in particular worked very hard but more is required of Conor Lehane, Cian McCarthy and Luke O'Farrell. Shane O'Neill was Cork's best player on the day and he got good support from Conor O'Sullivan and Christopher Joyce.

Remember they had a very good win over Clare and I think they underestimated how good Limerick are in the Munster final. Cork are a better team than we saw in the Gaelic grounds.

For Cork to beat Kilkenny they will need to up the work rate all over the field and I think that they need a better balance to the type of players they start in the forward division.

Michael Cussen may be an option from the start. Many of the Cork players up front are very similar type hurlers. More direct ball into the danger area might create more goal chances. Remember Cork have not scored a goal in two championship games this year.

Nothing would give Cork greater pleasure than to knock Kilkenny out of the championship but I do not think it will happen this Sunday.

Kilkenny will focus on getting their own game right and I would expect them to get through with a few points to spare with their greater experience and overall strength of their back line being the key factors.

Asal Mor

Quote from: orangeman on July 25, 2013, 12:29:12 PM
By Joe Dooley

I'm sure the Kilkenny players and management were very relieved to have a couple of weeks to prepare for this Sunday's All-Ireland quarter final with Cork (throw in 2pm).

They have had a tough few weeks coping with the loss of key players through injury and playing five tough championship games. The last two in particular against Tipperary and Waterford were both pulsating knock out championship encounters that went right down to the wire.

Their victory over a very game Waterford team was one of their best wins ever as their character was tested like never before. When Waterford drew level with a goal in the second half of extra time you would have expected the favorites to fold but instead they tagged on three great points from play to seal a famous victory.

That passage of play could yet prove to be a key turning point in their year.

There is no doubt but as a team, they are struggling to find fluency to their play and are not rattling the onion bag as regularly as they normally do. It's hard to believe that they have only managed to score one goal from play in five and half games and conceded eight.

"For Cork to beat Kilkenny they will need to up the work rate all over the field"

As I said in my preview before the Waterford game, all they want to do for now is keep winning and address the lack of goals when they get a chance to do so on the training field.

I would expect a completely fresher and sharper Kilkenny team to take the field this Sunday. With the break and a number of key players getting fitter they are building momentum and if they can get over Cork they will take beating.

Their biggest danger is complacency and Sunday's game against Cork is a game that will require a much better all round performance than was displayed against Tipperary or Waterford if they are to advance.

This is a very tricky game for Kilkenny who because of these victories are expected to advance but if they are thinking this way down Noreside then that is the rock they could perish on.

Brian Cody is getting back into a situation where he now has serious competition again for places. The return of Michael Fennelly is a huge boost and helped turn the Waterford game. Richie Hogan, Colin Fennelly, Eoin Larkin and Richie Power in particular have all lifted their game in recent weeks.

Further improvements will be required from these and others to get over Cork who have a very young and fast team and if given space will punish you. Henry is unlikely to be started.

Cork were boosted by the news that Pat Horgan has been cleared to play following his sending off against Limerick in the Munster final and nobody would disagree with that decision.
Cork never really clicked into gear in that game even though they should have been a few points ahead at half time with the amount of possession they had but failed to make good use of it. The sending off of Horgan just before the break really finished the game as a contest.

Jimmy Barry Murphy will have been very disappointed with his team's performance and you would expect a big improvement for this weekend. The big loss of their under-21 team to Tipperary since that game will not have done much for the confidence of the younger players.

Their forward line came in for a lot of criticism after the Limerick game but in fairness they were down a man for all of the second half and playing into the wind.

Both Pa Cronin and Seamus Harnedy in particular worked very hard but more is required of Conor Lehane, Cian McCarthy and Luke O'Farrell. Shane O'Neill was Cork's best player on the day and he got good support from Conor O'Sullivan and Christopher Joyce.

Remember they had a very good win over Clare and I think they underestimated how good Limerick are in the Munster final. Cork are a better team than we saw in the Gaelic grounds.

For Cork to beat Kilkenny they will need to up the work rate all over the field and I think that they need a better balance to the type of players they start in the forward division.

Michael Cussen may be an option from the start. Many of the Cork players up front are very similar type hurlers. More direct ball into the danger area might create more goal chances. Remember Cork have not scored a goal in two championship games this year.

Nothing would give Cork greater pleasure than to knock Kilkenny out of the championship but I do not think it will happen this Sunday.

Kilkenny will focus on getting their own game right and I would expect them to get through with a few points to spare with their greater experience and overall strength of their back line being the key factors.

Joe obviously doesn't read our board.

Asal Mor

With regard to the Burke / Sutcliffe one I'm not defending David Burke. If he'd been sent off he couldn't have complained but Sutcliffe's theatrics were not something we want to see on a GAA pitch.

deiseach

Quote from: orangeman on July 25, 2013, 12:29:12 PM

Who thought this? Anyone?

johnneycool

Quote from: Rossfan on July 25, 2013, 12:27:43 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on July 25, 2013, 11:52:07 AM

Happened on it on Tipp FM while driving through Offaly one day so not too sure who he was. The interviewer asked him about his own playing days a few times so I suspect he was an ex County player.
He had a fine Kilnascully accent anyway  :D Dats riyatttt  :D

I'd suggest he didn't play too much for Tipp if he took care every time he swung his hurl.