John Delaney singing Joe McDonnell

Started by theticklemister, November 25, 2014, 12:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Probably only the idiotic, lunatic right wing, think that Delaney with a bit a luck will have to go because he sang and later tried to deny he sung, a song about Joe McDonnell, and in doing so  almost offended everybody.
What matters more to the FAI is Delaney's value and competence as a CEO and they appear to be quite content with him. Even the much derided FAI wouldn't feel pressurised into making such a stupid decision based on that cause.

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Main Street on November 30, 2014, 05:53:35 PM
Probably only the idiotic, lunatic right wing, think that Delaney with a bit a luck will have to go because he sang and later tried to deny he sung, a song about Joe McDonnell, and in doing so  almost offended everybody.
What matters more to the FAI is Delaney's value and competence as a CEO and they appear to be quite content with him. Even the much derided FAI wouldn't feel pressurised into making such a stupid decision based on that cause.
I think you've got that completely the wrong way round: only the idiotic, lunatic, right wing think that Delaney has done nothing wrong. The man's an arse.

balladmaker

QuoteWho wrote the song? Was it not one of the Wolfe Tones ?

Don't know who wrote the sash but Brian Warfield wrote 'Joe McDonnell'

Main Street

Quote from: Myles Na G. on November 30, 2014, 06:44:58 PM
I think you've got that completely the wrong way round: only the idiotic, lunatic, right wing think that Delaney has done nothing wrong. The man's an arse.
On the contrary, the complete opposite of what I said would be
'only the idiotic, lunatic right wing, think that Delaney with a bit a luck will not have to go because he sang  a song .....'.

And of course, the self righteous folk like your good self  would think I have got it completely wrong and then make a bollix of explaining why.

You are the one who expressed the hope that he should be forced to go because of the singing of this song.
You linked to 3 articles, one of which was just humorously sarcastic and the other 2 focussing not on the song but Delaney's attempt at a cover up.
None of the articles lend any weight to your professed hope. To cling to such a hope  would support the claim that you are a fanatic, ("an obsessive interest and enthusiasm for something")

Your subjective opinion about Delaney, that he was wrong to sing the song  and "with a bit of luck the bolix will have to go" is not supported by journalists, football folk or the population in general, apart from those people who hate any connection to republicanism.
The people who hate republicanism in that way are generally ultra right wing along with some extremist in Fine Gael perhaps.
Perhaps they want republicanism outlawed  and every book and song burned, literally speaking.
LOI fans have their opinions and reasons why Delaney should go,  then there are the Irish national team fans who have their reasons why Delaney should go, but singing this song would be bottom of their list of wrong doings, if indeed it is perceived as a wrong doing.
You have only been concerned here about Delaney singing this song  and that is your only professed gripe with Delaney.

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Main Street on December 01, 2014, 08:13:10 PM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on November 30, 2014, 06:44:58 PM

On the contrary, the complete opposite of what I said would be
'only the idiotic, lunatic right wing, think that Delaney with a bit a luck will not have to go because he sang  a song .....'.

And of course, the self righteous folk like your good self  would think I have got it completely wrong and then make a bollix of explaining why.

You are the one who expressed the hope that he should be forced to go because of the singing of this song.
You linked to 3 articles, one of which was just humorously sarcastic and the other 2 focussing not on the song but Delaney's attempt at a cover up.
None of the articles lend any weight to your professed hope. To cling to such a hope  would support the claim that you are a fanatic, ("an obsessive interest and enthusiasm for something")

Your subjective opinion about Delaney, that he was wrong to sing the song  and "with a bit of luck the bolix will have to go" is not supported by journalists, football folk or the population in general, apart from those people who hate any connection to republicanism.
The people who hate republicanism in that way are generally ultra right wing along with some extremist in Fine Gael perhaps.
Perhaps they want republicanism outlawed  and every book and song burned, literally speaking.
LOI fans have their opinions and reasons why Delaney should go,  then there are the Irish national team fans who have their reasons why Delaney should go, but singing this song would be bottom of their list of wrong doings, if indeed it is perceived as a wrong doing.
You have only been concerned here about Delaney singing this song  and that is your only professed gripe with Delaney.
Delaney's alcohol fuelled antics, of which this is just the latest, make him an inappropriate person to be CEO of a national sporting organisation, unless you're happy for someone like him, with a public profile, to perpetuate the caricature of the feckless, drunken Mick. Personally, I'm not.  I don't know much about his administrative abilities, but those articles and comments on various forums suggest that he's an overpaid fcuk up, quite happy to blame others for his own shortcomings. The latest incident carries the aggravating features of the cover up, where it appears that he's tried to lie his way out of trouble, and the offensive nature of the song itself. You use the word 'fanatic' to describe me, a poster on a message board, yet argue in defence of a song about men who murdered others - including police and prison officers of the state that provides funding to the FAI - and starved themselves to death in pursuit of an outdated political ideology. You might want to think about that a wee bit. As for being ultra right wing: if you look about the world you'll see that there is very little difference when it comes to people at either end of that political spectrum. Left wing or right wing, they all support the killing, imprisonment and 'disappearing' of those who oppose them. Serious stuff, but obviously not as serious as ultra right wing, fanatical message board posters.  ;)

T Fearon

Could he not have pretended he was singing about ex St Pat's Athletic Manager Johnny Mc Donnell?

charlieTully

Myles did you go to the ulster club finals yesterday. Two cracking games. A brilliant advert for our games?

Myles Na G.

Quote from: charlieTully on December 01, 2014, 11:36:02 PM
Myles did you go to the ulster club finals yesterday. Two cracking games. A brilliant advert for our games?
Missed those, but glad to hear they were good matches. Did you get to any of the Autumn Internationals? I was at the South Africa game, but I think the Australia one was the better match. Cracking advert for our game.  ;)

charlieTully

Quote from: Myles Na G. on December 02, 2014, 06:53:36 AM
Missed those, but glad to hear they were good matches. Did you get to any of the Autumn Internationals? I was at the South Africa game, but I think the Australia one was the better match. Cracking advert for our game.  ;)

why are you on this board when you never have anything to post about the GAA?

Myles Na G.

Quote from: charlieTully on December 02, 2014, 04:08:34 PM

If you don't want posters who have nothing to say about the GAA, don't have a 'non GAA Discussion' section. It draws us in, like moths to a flame.  :)

charlieTully

Quote from: Myles Na G. on December 02, 2014, 05:57:39 PM
Quote from: charlieTully on December 02, 2014, 04:08:34 PM

If you don't want posters who have nothing to say about the GAA, don't have a 'non GAA Discussion' section. It draws us in, like moths to a flame.  :)

sure its all a bit of craic.

Evil Genius

Quote from: muppet on November 27, 2014, 03:59:20 PM
I think I recall us being delighted in 1993 when Billy Bingham conducted the Windsor Park crowd as they regaled us with Billy Boys and The Sash.
Afternoon all.

Flying visit, neither time nor inclination to get into the whole Delaney business (part of me is glad that the FAI have that snake in charge, since he'll ride them rock solid til they've nothing left).

But I cannot let that slur on Bingham go unanswered. For unlike every single person whom I've heard repeat it, I was at the game in question. And if various 'Party Tunes' were sung by a section of the crowd at times during the game, on the one occasion when Bingham had cause to walk down the touchline, the crowd were singing "One Team in Ireland", to their own and Billy's* great joy (NI were 1-0 up at the time, with the clock running down). And it was at this point he waved his hand round in a curious motion, part acknowledgement, part "conducting".

Of course, some will claim that someone like me would make such a claim to defend his man, in which case, I would ask why such a "bigot" would choose a Derry Catholic like Martin O'Neill as his Captain? And why would such a strong-willed person as O'Neill accept?

Further, why would a "bigot" choose a Falls Road Catholic (Gerry Armstrong) to be his Best Man at his second wedding?

"Feel the Hatred"

And while we're on the subject, someone mentioned Jim Boyce earlier, in an unflattering light. Now Jim may be a lot of things (tell me about it!), but he hasn't a sectarian bone in his body. As evidence of that is the fact he is a former President of Cliftonville FC (and continuing supporter) and also a keen follower of Cricket, including the (All-) Ireland team.
He did call Delaney out for being "stupid" - in his FIFA capacity, mind, not his IFA one - but then later generously accepted his apology (note my bold):

Jim Boyce: John Delaney made a big mistake but his apology should be accepted

FIFA Vice President Jim Boyce has claimed John Delaney made a big mistake by singing republican ballad Joe McDonnell in a Dublin pub following Ireland's friendly win over the USA.

Boyce, a long time friend of Delaney's, earlier this week slammed the CEO of the FAI for his "stupid" actions.

And speaking on RTE 1 radio today, the Northern Irishman reaffirmed his beliefs and said that Delaney made a big mistake, but that an apology should suffice.

"I know John Delaney a long time," said Boyce on RTE radio today.

"We've shared dinners together, we've shared many a good evening together. I'm sure today he regrets very much what he did."

Boyce himself was injured in a bomb attack during the troubles and has always spoken out against sectarianism.

"I was injured in a very bad bomb explosion on my second wedding anniversary. 

"I have always consistently condemned any form of bigotry or sectarianism. It didn't change me as a person because I have no time for it.

"No matter what side it comes from, I would say the same if this had come from the loyalist side, I have no time glorifying people who murdered many innocent people."

Delaney apologised for his actions and Boyce says that he will regret his actions and must be more careful in the future.

"We all make mistakes. I think John has made a big mistake in this particular instance," Added Boyce.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/other-soccer/jim-boyce-john-delaney-made-a-big-mistake-but-his-apology-should-be-accepted-30777211.html

P.S. If JD's counterpart at the IFA were caught eg singing a UVF ballad, or even The Sash, in a pub round the corner from Windsor on the evening after an NI game, I would expect him to have cleared his desk within 24 hours. And if he didn't, I and many other NI fans would be demanding it (not that it would ever happen, I'm certain)

* - This was his last game in charge and he wanted badly to go out on a win.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

theticklemister

Quote from: Denn Forever on December 03, 2014, 05:07:05 PM
Welcome back EG.

I knew the rumours of him getting lifted for the fleg protest was a big pile of shit.

Anyway I see ye still using the old brackets.

Dunno know Bingham and Boyce so wouldn't have a clue.

Rossfan

Quote from: Evil Genius on December 03, 2014, 05:01:58 PM
, I have no time glorifying people who murdered many innocent people."[/B]

I hope he doesn't go to any of them poppy ceremonies so. ;)

I too hope Delaney stays in charge of the Fools.Amadáns and Idiots too as it means there's no need for the GAA to be worried about any danger of soccer taking over in the 26Cos  ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM