2008 Ryder Cup

Started by corn02, August 22, 2008, 03:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoYerJob Linesman

I do not feel any attachment to the European team, certainly not enough to use words like our, us and we.
17/03/02 - Semple Stadium Thurles - Heaven On Earth

gawa316

Quote from: DoYerJob Linesman on September 21, 2008, 10:39:55 PM
I do not feel any attachment to the European team, certainly not enough to use words like our, us and we.

How the f**k is it not our, us and we?

DoYerJob Linesman

Just the way I feel, don't lose the oul head there.   :D
17/03/02 - Semple Stadium Thurles - Heaven On Earth

gawa316

Quote from: DoYerJob Linesman on September 21, 2008, 10:44:56 PM

So you don't feel obliged to support the team your countryman plays for?

belleaqua

Quote from: screenexile on September 21, 2008, 10:21:09 PM
Bad luck after a good comeback from the Europeans. Players just didn't perform to their ability and I think Faldo's wildcard decisions werem't really to blame as Poulter and Casey played well throughout the weekend but our big names didn't perform and the Yanks did... end of!

Just because Poulter played so well and Casey held is own doesn't justify the success of Faldo's captaincy. As has been pointed out by many commentators the failure of Harrington, Garcia and Jimenez to raise their games to their usual level may have been as a result of a lack of confidence in the captain. that may be unprofessional but so be it. Clarke or Monty should have gone but not both, Clarke on form being the wise selection. He's a leader, something Europe seemed to really lack. The sum of all parts may well have been greater than the individuals concerned had Clarke been picked.

Another factor was Tiger missing out, done the US no harm at all in terms of team spirit. Well done USA, roll on 2010.

thewobbler

I'll say it simply.

The role of Ryder Cup captain is the single most overstated position in sport. And that is saying something.

SLIGONIAN

I was proud of the OUR team, thought some of the golf was outstanding. For me Faldo was vindicated. What people dont seem to understand is the pressure of Ryder cup, he based picking poulter on his performance in the british open. Poulter was awesome all weekend and fair play to him. Casey did well aswell. So his choices cant be questioned now. Our lads fought all the way. Faldo took a chance back loading the singles and it fell one game short to make a difference which is probably my only criticism.

The americans were unbelivable, some of them posted 29 on the front nine holes. I think wilson for us was -4 but down 4 with weekly at -8. Just astonishing. Was impressed with Karlsoon and hansen too. Rose and mcdowell did fierce well too. Poulter was our main man though and should be commended.

Garcia was a big let down and Harrington has never prepared properly for the ryder cups. He plans his yr to peak at the majors but his game was not in order this weekend and that is disappointing.

Congrats to the USA, they gave some entertainment and some shots as did our lads and i was proud of them.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

heganboy

made it down to kentucky at the weekend, and the atmosphere was fantastic. A lot of people thought that the europeans were disdvantaged by only having 2 captains picks. Tiger's absence was certainly a motivating factor for the americans. Kim carried lefty and had a fantastic weekend, Paddy, maybe not so much. McDowell did very well, Poulter vindicated Faldo picking him, however you have to wonder about the strategy he used, but you would have to say the americans outplayed the europeans by a huge amount.
Saw dublin jerseys, galway, antrim and carlow, club jerseys from up and down the country even a couple of rugby shirts, but not a soccer top in sight.
and i now know that tv flattens a golf course like you wouldnt believe. the course I saw on tv friday was in my world about 10 shots harder than the won I walked around Saturday. A couple of the guys I was there with were 2 and 3 handicappers and they had played valhalla in competiton form 3 weeks back. they shot 97 and 99 and both believed they were lucky to break 100...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

stephenite

You have a Down jersey on you?

INDIANA

have to agree , i don't feel very european and can't get into this ryder cup buzz. i play golf a lot  though and i thought faldo was a bad choice as captain, tried to do too much himself and lacked ideas when they were needed.

stephenite

Quote from: INDIANA on September 22, 2008, 07:46:07 AM
have to agree , i don't feel very european and can't get into this ryder cup buzz. i play golf a lot  though and i thought faldo was a bad choice as captain, tried to do too much himself and lacked ideas when they were needed.

How so? I don't think he did anything that differently to other captains I've seen over the years

Hound

I love the Ryder Cup, and certainly feel like Europe are my team. I don't like Faldo, but I don't think he did a whole lot wrong over the 3 days. The US won because they holed the most putts over the course of the competition.

Interesting scoring stats from the singles:

Weekley -8
Kim -7
Perry - 7
Rose -6
McDowell -5
Poulter -5
Curtis -5
Karlsson -4
Westwood -4
Mahan -4
Wilson -4
Furyk -3
Mickelson -3
Holmes -2
Stenson -2
Stricker -2
Casey -2
Cink -1
Hansen Ev
Jiminez Ev
Leonard +1
Campbell +2
Garcia +2
Harrington +5

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Hound on September 22, 2008, 07:58:59 AM
I love the Ryder Cup, and certainly feel like Europe are my team. I don't like Faldo, but I don't think he did a whole lot wrong over the 3 days. The US won because they holed the most putts over the course of the competition.

Interesting scoring stats from the singles:

Weekley -8
Kim -7
Perry - 7
Rose -6
McDowell -5
Poulter -5
Curtis -5
Karlsson -4
Westwood -4
Mahan -4
Wilson -4
Furyk -3
Mickelson -3
Holmes -2
Stenson -2
Stricker -2
Casey -2
Cink -1
Hansen Ev
Jiminez Ev
Leonard +1
Campbell +2
Garcia +2
Harrington +5

And dont forget alot of them scores were after only 15 holes :o, wow. If Harrinton was playing weekly it would of been match over after 10 holes.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Tony Baloney

Some of the US stroke scores on your list are phenomenal. Not bad from McDowell either. He seemed to acquit himself well over the weekend and if he can maintain some form could be a future banker for the Europe team.

corn02

Quote from: DoYerJob Linesman on September 21, 2008, 10:44:56 PM

But it ok to tell screenexile to  "wise up"?