2008 Ryder Cup

Started by corn02, August 22, 2008, 03:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

Faldos singles line up is brilliant. Not how faldo picked them per se, but rather how they will line up. I expect Europe to take 3 out of the first 4, with Garcia, Casey and Rose winning. Mickelson hasnt played well this ryder cup. I also expect European victories for Hansen over Holmes (if yer man had any sort of a short game, it would be all over already - 380+ off the tee!), and most of the last 4 pairings.

It could be Europes game yet.

1703 Anthony Kim v Sergio Garcia

1714 Hunter Mahan v Paul Casey

1725 Justin Leonard v Robert Karlsson

1736 Phil Mickelson v Justin Rose

1747 Kenny Perry v Henrik Stenson

1758 Boo Weekley v Oliver Wilson

1809 JB Holmes v Soren Hansen

1820 Jim Furyk v Miguel Angel Jimenez

1831 Stewart Cink v Graeme McDowell

1842 Steve Stricker v Ian Poulter

1853 Ben Curtis v Lee Westwood

1904 Chad Campbell v Padraig Harrington

Lecale2

Looking good for Europe.

DrinknHarp

Quote from: Puckoon on September 21, 2008, 05:52:47 AM
Faldos singles line up is brilliant. Not how faldo picked them per se, but rather how they will line up. I expect Europe to take 3 out of the first 4, with Garcia, Casey and Rose winning. Mickelson hasnt played well this ryder cup. I also expect European victories for Hansen over Holmes (if yer man had any sort of a short game, it would be all over already - 380+ off the tee!), and most of the last 4 pairings.

Puck I will give you 3 to 1 for 5, I wil ltake the U.S.

The Real Laoislad

1703 Anthony Kim v Sergio Garcia   Garcia

1714 Hunter Mahan v Paul Casey      Mahan

1725 Justin Leonard v Robert Karlsson Tie

1736 Phil Mickelson v Justin Rose Mickelson

1747 Kenny Perry v Henrik Stenson Stenson

1758 Boo Weekley v Oliver Wilson   Weekley

1809 JB Holmes v Soren Hansen  Tie

1820 Jim Furyk v Miguel Angel Jimenez   Furyk

1831 Stewart Cink v Graeme McDowell   McDowell

1842 Steve Stricker v Ian Poulter  Poulter

1853 Ben Curtis v Lee Westwood   Westwood

1904 Chad Campbell v Padraig Harrington Harrington

Europe 7 --   14 
Usa      5  --   14

:o

What happens in the event of a draw?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

AZOffaly

Europe keep the cup. For a man that loves his golf so much I thought you'd know that.  :P No one 'wins' but the holders retain.

Fair play to Poulter, Harrington hasn't recovered from only halving the first match, and some of the other Europeans are playing below form as well. Hopefully Casey's putt on 18 yesterday will give him a boost.

As for Mickelson Puck, how can you say he's not playing well? Apart from the last 4 holes last night (His 69th, 70th, 71st and 72nd of 2 days) he's been a rock for the USA. They've got the type of performances from himself, Leonard, Mahan, Weekly and a few others that Europe usually get.

muppet

Quote from: DrinknHarp on September 21, 2008, 09:06:12 AM
Quote from: Puckoon on September 21, 2008, 05:52:47 AM

Puck I will give you 3 to 1 for 5, I wil ltake the U.S.

Holders retain the Cup in the event of a draw.

This is all about momentum. If Europe get a sea of blue on the board early, as they have done in the last 3 singles days, it tends to break the fickle American spirit. But they need to get off to a flyer. 

That draw will make most Europeans happy though. If it comes down to a single hole needing an up and down or whatever, who would you put your life on to do it?

Harrington will deliver.
MWWSI 2017

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: muppet on September 21, 2008, 10:42:11 AM

Holders retain the Cup in the event of a draw.

This is all about momentum. If Europe get a sea of blue on the board early, as they have done in the last 3 singles days, it tends to break the fickle American spirit. But they need to get off to a flyer. 

That draw will make most Europeans happy though. If it comes down to a single hole needing an up and down or whatever, who would you put your life on to do it?

Harrington will deliver.

Thanks muppet,I hadn't known that
It be a really shitty way of winning it back wouldn't it..By right they should nominate two players from each side and have a couple hole Foursomes playoff
I'm sure Faldo would hail it as a great success if it was only a draw but it's not really winning now is it
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Lecale2

1703 Anthony Kim v Sergio Garcia   Tie

1714 Hunter Mahan v Paul Casey      Tie

1725 Justin Leonard v Robert Karlsson Leonard

1747 Kenny Perry v Henrik Stenson Perry

1809 JB Holmes v Soren Hansen Holmes

1820 Jim Furyk v Miguel Angel Jimenez  Furyk

1831 Stewart Cink v Graeme McDowell  McDowell

1842 Steve Stricker v Ian Poulter Poulter

Europe 5 --   12
Usa      7  --   16

When you break it down it doesn't actally look as good as I first thought. It could well be all over before the McDowell finishes.

Onlooker

When did Harrington last win a match in the Ryder Cup?.  I never realised his record was that bad.  It could all come down to his match today.  Would be a great time to get that elusive win.

Lecale2

The tie is the value bet. Your getting 6/1 and if the tournament is won on lost before the last 2 or 3 games are over the players usually settle for a tie.

Might be worth a punt.

Puckoon

Mickelson isnt playing his usual standard golf IMHO. I was actually more impressed with Mahan, who having watched a few times this year I thought would be a soft touch.

Granted, yesterday was the only day I watched.

Bogball XV

Quote from: muppet on September 21, 2008, 10:42:11 AMThis is all about momentum. If Europe get a sea of blue on the board early, as they have done in the last 3 singles days, it tends to break the fickle American spirit. But they need to get off to a flyer. 

Harrington will deliver.
You're right about the momentum, it'll have a big bearing alright, but I don't think Harrington will get a chance to putt for the match - i think it was a risk playing harrington that far down (but I know why he did it).
For me it's:

1703 Anthony Kim v Sergio Garcia   Kim

1714 Hunter Mahan v Paul Casey      Mahan

1725 Justin Leonard v Robert Karlsson Karlsson

1747 Kenny Perry v Henrik Stenson Tie

1809 JB Holmes v Soren Hansen Holmes

1820 Jim Furyk v Miguel Angel Jimenez  Jiminez

1831 Stewart Cink v Graeme McDowell  Cink

1842 Steve Stricker v Ian Poulter Stricker

Hardy

Feckit I've been drawn into this stuff now . Watching it on P2P. Faldo's strategy seems to be backfiring with red all over the board at this stage. Europe only leading in one match (Stenson).

gawa316

Anyone got a decent stream? The one i've been using has stopped working

Hardy

http://www.myp2p.eu/broadcast.php?matchid=18795&part=sports

US-centric commentary and ads every 3 minutes, but stream quality is good.