Dunne is 24-0 and Martinez is 16-0 should be good fight
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Hound

I think Kiko is the best guy Dunne will have faced. Should be a crackin fight

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

Gold

Kiko is not kiko!

Dunne's been hyped up far too much beatin flabby boys and journeymen.

Hes a good fighter but got caught up in his own hype tonight--he didnt start and got caught cold by a crackin, raging bull type fighter.

Will be very hard to come back from that.

Dunne was knocked down 3 times in 1 round, yet each time his ego made him shout that it was a slip.

He needs to step away from the limelight like Rocky and Appollo Creed did-and get the hunger back--hes nothin, no world title, nothin--we r too quick to build up sportsmen as heroes because they win a few fights, score a few goals--i hope Dunne can come back but dont think he has the sheer power you need to be a champion like champions like Kiko do
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Hurler on the Bitch

Trust me - I am fecking telling ye! Bernard Dunne was always there for the taking. No amount of "contrived" fights in the Depot - no hugs of Jimmy Magee - no Ole Ole Oles - no emotional anthems - could disguise the fact that he was suspect!!!! his chin was always there for the taking and anybody with a punch would exploit this.. Forget any notion that he will be introduced to the Hill amarach ... he's just been found out and exposed!!!! - and I was told that a year ago by an Irish Olympic medallist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hardy

A victory for reality tonight. Andy Lee is the real thing - a real possibility as a world champion. Dunne was found out. Never anything more than a shaper and a tabloid creation. I don't follow boxing much these days, but his antics against the Dane in his last fight meant I wasn't too sorry to see him planted tonight. Steve Collins revisited. Muhammad Ali could get away with showboating. Anyone else trying it becomes a buffoon.

ONeill

Quoteand I was told that a year ago by an Irish Olympic medallist!

Michelle or Sonia?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

Quote from: Hardy on August 25, 2007, 11:47:38 PM
A victory for reality tonight. Andy Lee is the real thing - a real possibility as a world champion. Dunne was found out. Never anything more than a shaper and a tabloid creation. I don't follow boxing much these days, but his antics against the Dane in his last fight meant I wasn't too sorry to see him planted tonight. Steve Collins revisited. Muhammad Ali could get away with showboating. Anyone else trying it becomes a buffoon.

...bet ye wouldn't say that til his face.....
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Hurler on the Bitch

Galwaybhoy

I always thought Dunne was not as good as he was made out to be.  I always thought he wasn't good enough to win a world title.  I was always surprised that so many people high up in the sport always talked Dunne up as being a world class boxer because I always felt those that put their whole life into the sport should know better.  Dunne is a good boxer when it comes to challenging for European titles, but not World Titles.  He always had a bad defence, that was always obvious and he never had enough power in his punches either.

I wonder where he will go from here.  The thing about boxing is that once a fighter loses in that style they find it hard to return.  If Dunne is as good as we are told then he will have to get his head straight and return and not lose the confidence thats needed.  I doubt very much he will come back to even win the European title again not to mind a World Title and I have a feeling as the next few years go on we will hear less and less about him as the media move on to their next "star" that will help sell a few papers.

The Real Laoislad

Have to agree,I think he was too cocky and maybe was a tabloid creation,and was hyped up more than he should have been
Saying that though i hoped he would win and am disapointed for him as i never like seeing Irish sportmen fail.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Maguire01

A victory for reality tonight. Andy Lee is the real thing - a real possibility as a world champion.

Regarding Lee's fight, did his opponent not give in a bit too easily? He was holding his own. Looked like a bit of a gift for Lee....

How disappointed would you be if you went out of your way to get a ticket for that? What was it, 1min 26 seconds? An expensive night out!

Fair play to the Martinez team who put a shedload of money on a first round knock out at 66/1! That bookie will be sick as a parrot!

TacadoirArdMhacha

QuoteFair play to the Martinez team who put a shedload of money on a first round knock out at 66/1! That bookie will be sick as a parrot!

I was wondering about this. i know in soccer you aren't allowed to back any match, even if the moneys on yourself to lose. Is there no similar rule in boxing or perhaps its doesn't apply to team members. Some collection though - €15,000 at 66/1 between them!

Had to feel for Dunne there tonihgt, looks like his career might be in tatters or at least severely set back. Wasn't overly impressed by Lee although interesting to see that the commentators seem to rate him higher than Duddy.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

ludermor

15k is f**k all though!! plently of horse owners would put that on their horse with half a chance.
obviously the europeans ( with no rte sport or star reporters) could see dunne for what he was.

Hound

Dunne is still a good fighter. He'll come back and I predict he'll get a shot at one of the 4 major world titles, but he'll go into that fight as underdog, and he'll never be the best in the world.

Kiko Martinez on the other hand could well become the best in the world. He's some powerhouse. When I heard him described as a mini Mike Tyson, I thought "yeah right!". But its the right description - and only 21! A super little fighter, too good for Bernard.

I wouldnt go near Martinez again, or at least until he's perfected his defence. He's never had to have a good defence up to this. And maybe if he went on his bike for 5 or 6 rounds and just try and pick him off, he might be capable, but for sure if Dunne ever fights Martinez again, Kiko will be hot favourite. If I was Dunne I'd work up to the best of the Brits, Michael Jones or whoever it is. Then go from there.