Kielty getting rave reviews for his performance in A Night in November

Started by T Fearon, August 09, 2007, 10:54:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SammyG

Quote from: Main Street on August 10, 2007, 06:38:30 PM
Quote from: SammyG on August 10, 2007, 04:52:54 PM
You've since seem to have accepted that the play is a work of fiction but it's taken a while.
Eh no Sammy, you interpreted that I did not accept that the play was a work of fiction.
In exactly 2 POSTS AFTER
I witnessed your interpretation, I made it more for clear for you.
I wrote  "Of course the play is made up."

Do you interpret that as taking a while for me to clarify the matter?

Yes you spent 4 or 5 pages arguing that it was all true and then accepted it was fiction, I'd call that taking a while.

stiffler

Anyone know how to get tickets for this show, and when it ends? i tried the grand operah house website but it wouldnt open.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

GweylTah

The irony should not be lost that those from within the republican fraternity who have written critical or self-analytical material about that community have tended to then suffer from all sorts of black propaganda, ranging from being called Uncle Toms to condemned as Brit agents, others have ended up in a box.  Marie Jones, by all accounts, goes to NI games and is an enthusiastic part of the support, which either suggests they have got a whole lot better or can't really be all that bad after all.

Orior

I'd love to go see this play especially after reading Anne Hailes review in last Saturday's Irish News.  Seems like I would get the best of both worlds. Laugh at owc and get entertained at the same time.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

MW

Quote from: T Fearon on August 10, 2007, 06:52:42 PM
Clearly casting a personality of Kielty's profile and international standing in the role

;D ;D Keep 'em coming Tone :D

QuoteBy the way there's another play that occasionally does the rounds, written by Padraig Coyle on the subject of Belfast Celtic which is equally as informative regarding Windsor Park sectarianism, showing in graphic detail how Jimmy Jones had his leg broken by Linfield hoodlums provoked by the stadium announcer at Windsor Park, the shameful abuse meted out to Donegall Road man (and former Liverpool goalkeeper) Elisha Scott for having the temerity to manage a team called Celtic, the lack of support given to Celtic by the iFA and unionist press which caused Celtic to leave the league for fear of safety of their players. All this happened in the late 40s, which shows that nothing has changed in 60 years. Maybe after the resounding success of A Night in November this play about Belfast Celtic will be resurrected as well ;)

Say a word or two about the 1920 Solitude riot complete with gunfire aimed at the Glentoran support, would you, Tony?

T Fearon

What Ann Haliles (a non nationalist) said about A Night in November in her Irish News column on Saturday August 11th 2007.

"Certainly there is rampant sectarian language from this protestant bigot particularly during an accurate portrayal of Windsor Park terraces one night in November 1993 when the Northern Ireland football team played the Republic of Ireland... I later talked to a man who was at that match and was so horrifed by the hatred of the local Ireland crowd he has never been to a Northern Ireland home match since"

Case rested.

Well done Ms Hailes for acknowledging facts and perhaps a few on OWC will follow suit

MW

Quote from: T Fearon on August 14, 2007, 12:20:00 PM
What Ann Haliles (a non nationalist) said about A Night in November in her Irish News column on Saturday August 11th 2007.

"Certainly there is rampant sectarian language from this protestant bigot particularly during an accurate portrayal of Windsor Park terraces one night in November 1993 when the Northern Ireland football team played the Republic of Ireland... I later talked to a man who was at that match and was so horrifed by the hatred of the local Ireland crowd he has never been to a Northern Ireland home match since"

Case rested.

Well done Ms Hailes for acknowledging facts and perhaps a few on OWC will follow suit

Aye, case closed alright. Ms Hailes wasn't at the match but "talked to a man who was at the match" ::) Strangely she refers as do many inaccurate accounts to terraces which weren't even open that night...

For the umpteenth time. There was a lot of ugly sectarianism that night from a significant minority. The play strays way beyond this into the realms of pure fiction when dealing with that match (e.g. the supposed 'Trick or Treat' chant).

While I have little respect for Ms Jones's trite sectarian stereotyping, careless myth-making and playing to the gallery (excuse the metaphor), she has ackowledged times have changed in NI football, and in now an NI fan. Since you take her word as gospel how about you take this on board.

MW

Main Street

Quote from: MW on August 14, 2007, 01:38:39 PM
Aye, case closed alright. Ms Hailes wasn't at the match but "talked to a man who was at the match" ::) Strangely she refers as do many inaccurate accounts to terraces which weren't even open that night...

For the umpteenth time. There was a lot of ugly sectarianism that night from a significant minority. The play strays way beyond this into the realms of pure fiction when dealing with that match (e.g. the supposed 'Trick or Treat' chant).

While I have little respect for Ms Jones's trite sectarian stereotyping, careless myth-making and playing to the gallery (excuse the metaphor), she has ackowledged times have changed in NI football, and in now an NI fan. Since you take her word as gospel how about you take this on board.
Have you been to the play?

MW

No, I know of the storyline, some of its content and have seen extracts from the script.

What I won't do is pay money to see it.

his holiness nb

Quote from: MW on August 14, 2007, 05:45:26 PM
No, I know of the storyline, some of its content and have seen extracts from the script.

What I won't do is pay money to see it.

Sounds interesting.
I'd like to see it if it came down south
And yes I KNOW ITS A WORK OF FICTION!!
Ask me holy bollix

Main Street

QuoteWhat I won't do is pay money to see it.

Not unlike Ms Halles,
she did some research, wouldn't pay money for a ticket
except she went to the play.

"I later talked to a man who was at that match and was so horrifed by the hatred of the local Ireland crowd he has never been to a Northern Ireland home match since"
Is that so unbelievable?
Why don't you just get over being so touchy about every documented memory from that night that does not exactly mirrors yours.

Focus on critique of the play's merits/relevence but it would help with credibility if you have seen it.
Otherwise it looks like a FatherTeds and Dougal cinema protest to me.

Evil Genius

Quote from: Main Street on August 14, 2007, 06:07:30 PM

QuoteWhat I won't do is pay money to see it.

Not unlike Ms Halles,
she did some research, wouldn't pay money for a ticket
except she went to the play.

"I later talked to a man who was at that match and was so horrifed by the hatred of the local Ireland crowd he has never been to a Northern Ireland home match since"
Is that so unbelievable?
Why don't you just get over being so touchy about every documented memory from that night that does not exactly mirrors yours.

Focus on critique of the play's merits/relevence but it would help with credibility if you have seen it.
Otherwise it looks like a FatherTeds and Dougal cinema protest to me.

Oh there's certainly a "Father Ted" feel to this, but not in the way you and certain others see it.

Namely, you prefer to rely on an account by someone who went to see a play written by someone who wasn't at the match, rather than rely on the recollection of someone who was at the match in question.

Well here's another intervention from someone who was at the match, though hasn't seen the play.  Whilst my memory is by no means perfect and everyone is selective to a certain extent as to what makes an impact on them and what passes them by, one aspect from this thread particularly caught my attention.
On the first page of this thread, Fearon states that at the match:
"Shouts of Trick and Treat [were] continually heard"
Now I can't say unequivocally that nobody in the crowd shouted something similar at some stage, but I am absolutely certain that there were no such "continual" shouts at any stage.

Therefore, I am equally certain that Fearon (not for the first time) is gratuitously repeating a lie, because it suits his bigoted agenda. But it's only by reading further through the thread that I realise where this foul allegation originated: Jones's play.

To paraphrase the Maxwell Scott character in 'The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance':
"This is the north, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend."
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Main Street

I find the reaction surreal in the true meaning of the word.

Critcizing a play that they have not seen with the main criticism of the play that it was written by someone who wasn't at the game.

Evil Genius

Quote from: Main Street on August 14, 2007, 08:37:24 PM
I find the reaction surreal in the true meaning of the word.

Critcizing a play that they have not seen with the main criticism of the play that it was written by someone who wasn't at the game.

I can't speak for others, but my gripe is not that the author was not at the game, nor that she consequently used her imagination to create a work of fiction based on the game.

Rather, it is that certain people take the events depicted in the play as being factual, or representative, when the actual events were rather more complex.

Even worse is when this lack of understanding is deliberately fostered and manipulated by bigots with an agenda, like the originator of this thread.

P.S. I don't know how many other plays Fearon attends every year, but I assume it's few, if any at all. Otherwise, he'd need a Message Board to himself for all the threads he's start, if this particular play is anything to go by.  Then again, maybe the fat freeloader isn't able to get his hands on free tickets for the theatre...
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"