Kielty getting rave reviews for his performance in A Night in November

Started by T Fearon, August 09, 2007, 10:54:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MW

Quote from: Main Street on August 14, 2007, 06:07:30 PM

QuoteWhat I won't do is pay money to see it.

Not unlike Ms Halles,
she did some research, wouldn't pay money for a ticket
except she went to the play.

"I later talked to a man who was at that match and was so horrifed by the hatred of the local Ireland crowd he has never been to a Northern Ireland home match since"
Is that so unbelievable?
Why don't you just get over being so touchy about every documented memory from that night that does not exactly mirrors yours.

Focus on critique of the play's merits/relevence but it would help with credibility if you have seen it.
Otherwise it looks like a FatherTeds and Dougal cinema protest to me.

One of my major problems with the play is the two-dimensional and often wildly inaccurate picture that reviewers have been left with. And the stretching of artistic licence beyond acceptable limits to introdiuce elements that simply didn't happen, yet have become 'facts' to many people. (as EG says above). I'll need to outline this for you in further detail so will come back to ths in the next day or two.

stiffler

Anyone know when this play finishes? i might go and see if its as good as the hype.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Main Street

Quote from: Evil Genius on August 15, 2007, 12:27:52 AM
I can't speak for others, but my gripe is not that the author was not at the game, nor that she consequently used her imagination to create a work of fiction based on the game.

Rather, it is that certain people take the events depicted in the play as being factual, or representative, when the actual events were rather more complex.
Even worse is when this lack of understanding is deliberately fostered and manipulated by bigots with an agenda, like the originator of this thread.
Is your problem with Fearon or the play?
Because Fearon uses it as a wind up therefore condemn the play?

NI theatre goers no doubt will make their own minds up as regards the plays merits  and compare the monologue and delivery to their own experiences, their social interaction and maybe prejudices. No doubt they will read the forward in the programme notes. Theatre critics will make up their minds using the criteria of a play critc.
The Playright has explained the play in laymans terms. The mere fact that she is a fervent enough NI supporter says something in itself or is she going to be heckled as a traitor.

Evil Genius

Quote from: Main Street on August 15, 2007, 08:44:48 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on August 15, 2007, 12:27:52 AM
I can't speak for others, but my gripe is not that the author was not at the game, nor that she consequently used her imagination to create a work of fiction based on the game.

Rather, it is that certain people take the events depicted in the play as being factual, or representative, when the actual events were rather more complex.
Even worse is when this lack of understanding is deliberately fostered and manipulated by bigots with an agenda, like the originator of this thread.
Is your problem with Fearon or the play?
Because Fearon uses it as a wind up therefore condemn the play?

The mere fact that she is a fervent enough NI supporter says something in itself or is she going to be heckled as a traitor.

Nowhere have I "condemned the play". That is because I have not seen the play. Which is why my problem is with bigots like Fearon who attempt to abuse the play, by portraying it as both documentary and current, neither of which it is.

As for Marie Jones herself, there is no doubt that she is opposed to sectarianism, which presumably is why she was prompted by news reports the day after a match which she had not attended, to write a play about sectarianism and football in NI. Fair enough.

However, I find it much more relevant than her writing that some time after she wrote the play, she was persuaded by her sons to attend her first NI football match. And that she has subsequently become a regular fan, both home and away (presumably without being "heckled" by the other NI fans).

Which must mean either that she now no longer cares about sectarianism, or that she enjoys the sectarianism at NI matches, or that the sectarianism of 14 years ago no longer occurs.

I'll leave you to decide which it may be, since the bigoted Fearon conveniently always avoids enlightening us with his usual wisdom, when asked to explain that conundrum.

P.S. I have seen one play by Marie Jones - "Stones in their Pockets" - which was truly excellent, and well worth the worldwide plaudits which it received (imo). However, a study of her portfolio will show that she has also written literally dozens of other works, not one of which (including "A Night in November") has received anything like the same critical or popular acclaim. At least outside Poyntzpass, that is....
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Hurler on the Bitch

Was at the play tonight and the first thing that got to  me was the hordes of people who turned up expecting (wanting) a comedy - and fulfilling that expectation by pissing themselves at some rather lame quips. It was very one-dimensional in that Kielty (brilliant actor) was wasted palying a role that is in reality below his undoubted humour and intelligence. There was the usual woman who was on the verge of pishing herself - a la Full Monty - sitting beside me, butthat was her problem. The fact was that I felt that the message was lost on a lot of people. There is nothing funny in sectarianism - let Jimmy Young do those jokes. It was a serious play about a serious issue. The number of middle-class people who watched that tonight in denial of the subject matter was immense. Paddy is a clever and very funny man but he - as I said - was wasted. The fact is that the play is outdated - as the IFA types in the programme have joy in pointing out. The play - or the masses in attendance - missed the point. Greysteel seven Ireland nil - is not funny.. it is a shocking glimpse of what we we're (are) capable of! By the way, I felt that the fact that this play was really written for the 1994 west Belfast Feile came across as the Prods came off worst. Remember the nightmare that happened in the month prior to that (Shankill etc) .. the hatred at the game did not arise spontaneously... ! Anybody who left the Opera House tonight and all they can say is that it was "a great laugh" - well God help your wit!!!

Hurler on the Bitch

Hi - thanks 5 times - think you hit the nail on the head in that Kielty is not the man to carry off the play... The masses turned up tonight expecting to piss themselves at Paddy - regardless of the message - and missed the point. The point is that if PK is trying to get into acting, this is a convenient vehicle but this is not a fooking laughing matter.. uo the discerning critics,,, 

Solomon Kane

Quote from: 5iveTimes on August 16, 2007, 11:31:05 PM
Would the play not be better without Kielty? Are a lot of the audience not there to see him rather than the play?
Maybe Dan Gordon (not the one who plays for Down) was better suited to the role.

No-One does one-dimensional "stereotypical" loyalists better than Dan Gordon ;) Not that good an actor in anything else I have seen.

Donagh

Quote from: Hurler on the Bitch on August 17, 2007, 12:19:22 AM
Hi - thanks 5 times - think you hit the nail on the head in that Kielty is not the man to carry off the play... The masses turned up tonight expecting to piss themselves at Paddy - regardless of the message - and missed the point. The point is that if PK is trying to get into acting, this is a convenient vehicle but this is not a fooking laughing matter.. uo the discerning critics,,, 

Haven't seen it yet with Kielty but all of the four reviews I read have agreed that he is outstanding in the role – one said he had the audience eating out of the palm of his hand in the second half.

MW

Quote from: 5iveTimes on August 17, 2007, 01:07:08 AM
Are Loyalists anything other than one dimensional?  ;) Or maybe its just the Loyalists who use this board that are one dimensional.

Who are you referring to here? ???

Chrisowc

Quote from: MW on August 17, 2007, 09:47:06 AM
Quote from: 5iveTimes on August 17, 2007, 01:07:08 AM
Are Loyalists anything other than one dimensional?  ;) Or maybe its just the Loyalists who use this board that are one dimensional.

Who are you referring to here? ???

I wouldn't be so touchy MW.  Sure there are such things as Protestant and Unionist "death squads" ::) too, don't you know?
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

T Fearon

How is this play outdated? Didn't Ballymena United supporters chant "You're just a team full of fenians" at Windsor Park last Saturday?

If the real Ireland team was to play at Windsor Park tomorrow does anyone seriously think there would be a dimunition of the hatred and vitriol?

MW

Quote from: T Fearon on August 17, 2007, 10:26:30 AM
How is this play outdated? Didn't Ballymena United supporters chant "You're just a team full of fenians" at Windsor Park last Saturday?

That's a matter of heated debate (i.e. David Jeffrey appears to be the only one who heard this chant), rather than being established fact.

And as you well know the play's outdated because the sort of sectarian singing evident in November 93 has years ago now not been present at NI matches.

If the real Ireland team was to play at Windsor Park tomorrow does anyone seriously think there would be a dimunition of the hatred and vitriol?

We'll see, the real Ireland team is playing at Windsor next Wednesday 8)

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: MW on August 17, 2007, 10:44:07 AM
Quote from: T Fearon on August 17, 2007, 10:26:30 AM

That's a matter of heated debate (i.e. David Jeffrey appears to be the only one who heard this chant), rather than being established fact.

And as you well know the play's outdated because the sort of sectarian singing evident in November 93 has years ago now not been present at NI matches.

We'll see, the real Ireland team is playing at Windsor next Wednesday 8)

Is that an admission that the events as described in the play did infact happen (obviously with some poetic licence)??
Tbc....

his holiness nb

Quote from: MW on August 17, 2007, 10:44:07 AM

Why all the talk about the play being outdated??
The play is set in 1993 is it not? Its not claiming to be based on the present day.
I dont see that as being an issue at all.

I dont think the year the play is set should be a factor. I went to see 12 angry men a few years back, and the year it was set didnt detract from a great play.

If someone wants to say what happened in the play is true and still happens, thats their issue.

Ask me holy bollix

GalwayBayBoy

QuoteWhy all the talk about the play being outdated??

That's true. Plays don't get updated to fit into modern life.

Otherwise we'd have The Playboy of the Western World set in amongst gangbangers in LA starring Jessica Alba as Pegeen Mike and Brad Pitt as Christy Mahon.